Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to design reedblocks  (Read 614 times)

Emi nabius

How to design reedblocks
« on: August 03, 2020, 03:54:13 PM »

Hello there! As some of you know I am making my first accordeon and You have been really helpful with all my process!
I am in the reed blocks part and I am going to do the body from one piece with the table saw.
So, here's my question:
What's the way of thinking the different volumes of air the different reeds need? How do I have to decide the depht of the cut?
I hope this is understandable..if not please let me know, I'll try explain in anoter way... (i'm not an english speaker)

Thank you very much

tirpous

Re: How to design reedblocks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »

I may be wrong, but in general I think the depth of the chamber for each reedplate is a function of the clearance required for the inside reedblade to oscillate freely at maximum volume without hitting the bottom of the chamber.  Since the other 2 dimensions are dictated by the reedplate size, the volume of the chamber is more an end-result than a design goal for acoustic resonance or whatever reason.

There are also practical considerations: tapering the blocks facilitates tuning in place and helps avoid outside reeds hitting the adjacent block.  Also, the bottom depth must match the pallet hole size.  And special consideration is often required for the highest 2 or 3 treble reeds.

I'm also in the process of making my first accordeon.  I have measured a few boxes of the same type I want to build, and I use the numbers as a rough guide to help  decide on dimensions for my own box.       

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: How to design reedblocks
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 05:55:20 PM »

On the one row box I just built the low end ( large reeds) had a depth of 7/16” 0r around 11 or 12mm tapering to high end (little ones) 1/4” or 6mm. equal depth on the reeds blocks that were glue flat to fondo and tapered slightly top to bottom on the standing blocks. Everything cleared on mine.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal