Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 57 voters. Is that all?  (Read 8571 times)

Keithypete.

57 voters. Is that all?
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:40:11 AM »

I don't know how many we actually number, but 57 doesn't seem like many to me. Is there a lower limit to the number of voters before someone says its not valid? Who's the Melodeon.net Chief Whip? Could we have a TOTM DIFFICULT, & a TOTM easy-peasy, (i.e) Speed the plough? There was talk in another thread about who would or wouldn't play what tune in a session, well whilst Sp.T.P. was being played I would happily get a round in. The biggest challenge for me is to see if I can get a vid. on to the computer. Maybe we could marry this up with the 'Who sets the sets?' thread, create our own set and use it for the virtual session.(P.S) Gr8 advice on the vids you two. Ta.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: 57 voters. Is that all?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:35:36 AM »

<snip>a TOTM easy-peasy, (i.e) Speed the plough? </snip>

Maybe when we see your contribution it will show what you can do to an "easy-peasy" tune to make it extraordinary 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:23:29 AM »

....Speed the plough? There was talk in another thread about who would or wouldn't play what tune in a session, well whilst Sp.T.P. was being played I would happily get a round in. .....
Oh!  :o
Well, I suppose we're all different.

If I happen to be at the bar when someone starts it up, I abandon my place in the drinks queue and dash back to join in the playing. It's one of my favourite tunes. You can do so much with it. Issy Emeny ran an inspiring workshop at Witney a couple of years ago where we spent a good part of the morning exploring its potential.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Keithypete.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 10:20:24 AM »

A bit surprised to be pulled up for this, not the main thrust of the post.I don't think there can be much arguement that Speed the plough is at the 'easier' end of the very broad spectrum of tunes that people play on a melodeon. I can't do anything to make it extraordinary - it just isn't. Having two tunes requiring different skills/abilities - even different instrument going might give the thing more depth, and get more people interested.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »

I'm just suprised that you think 57 isn't many! After all, there's no point people voting unless they are intending to take part, and I think 57 is quite a lot, considering!

I can't do anything to make it extraordinary

I think Steve's already answered this one pretty well. Why not go for the unoffical totm - Al's Granny instead then, if StP is so very boring...

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »

A bit surprised to be pulled up for this, not the main thrust of the post.I don't think there can be much arguement that Speed the plough is at the 'easier' end of the very broad spectrum of tunes that people play on a melodeon.

What is easy for one person is hard for another, its a bit demeaning to be told 'oh its easy' when you've struggled with it....makes me feel stupid.  :'(

I can't do anything to make it extraordinary - it just isn't.
That's where the challenge is for the more advanced  ::) finding hidden depths.

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »

You are absolutely right there, LDT, on both counts.

I also agree with Ellie that 57 is quite a lot of people. Not everybody has the time, inclination (or in my case bandwidth) to get involved in this project. Remember a lot of forum members are only occasional visitors....and don't all have Broadband! >:( 
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Keithypete.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:03 AM »

A bit surprised to be pulled up for this, not the main thrust of the post.I don't think there can be much arguement that Speed the plough is at the 'easier' end of the very broad spectrum of tunes that people play on a melodeon.

What is easy for one person is hard for another, its a bit demeaning to be told 'oh its easy' when you've struggled with it....makes me feel stupid.  :'(

I can't do anything to make it extraordinary - it just isn't.
That's where the challenge is for the more advanced  ::) finding hidden depths.

I didn't mean to make anyone feel stupid, you quite clearly are not stupid, so on that count I apologise. I stand by the comment that speed the plough is a relatively easy tune, so a pint for me, white wine or fruit-based drink for the Lady and gripe-water for everyone else.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »

.... so a pint for me, white wine or fruit-based drink for the Lady and gripe-water for everyone else.

Do they still put alcohol in gripe-water?
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:22 AM »

I can't do anything to make it extraordinary

With a simple tune it should be easier to see great variation in skills/abilities, arrangements and overall expression.
Speed the Plough's level of popularity, i think, says just how extraordinary it is already.
A good starting point me thinks.

Cheers
Sandy
 (:)

p.s. I think 57 voters is a pretty good response too.

LJC

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »

If the tune sounds boring to you then your not playing it in an interesting enough way. A simple tune give you the bones for embellishment around it. You'll be telling me Shepards Hey is boring next http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIEtXTKCPgE.

Keithypete.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »

Oh dear! Out of 940 members 57 voted.. 26 people represents 45.6% of the total vote, not of the membership. Sorry if you've all seen your collective arse over this but I wasn't slating the tune ,nor was I slating anyone for liking it either. More gripe-water please barman! :|glug :|glug :|glug
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:38:48 AM »

6% odd isn't that bad. Consider that out of those 940 not all of them will be active, by any means. I would think that 60 people accurately represents the hard core of the forum. With something like this it will be the particularly active ones that vote.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »

Oh dear! Out of 940 members 57 voted.. 26 people represents 45.6% of the total vote, not of the membership. Sorry if you've all seen your collective arse over this but I wasn't slating the tune ,nor was I slating anyone for liking it either. More gripe-water please barman! :|glug :|glug :|glug

It's called democracy in a voluntary first-past-the-post sort of way. We could have a compulsory single transferable vote system to ensure that everyone had their input considered.

LJC

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »

Does that mean you get 831 votes Lester? By the way, I'll put a video up of your old Connemara III when I get around to it!

jb

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »

As already pointed out, a more meaningful measure of electoral turnout would be relative to the currently-active melnet membership rather than the 940 registered. I've no idea what this is - maybe 200 or so?

My feeling against StP and its ilk for TOTM is not so much that it is easy, but rather that it is too familiar to the more experienced players, who will mostly be very used to playing it, complete with their own idiosyncracies and variations. The temptation (note I'm merely saying temptation) is to post it pretty much as you would normally play it, without thinking too much about it. This is valuable on one level, because it is interesting to compare each others' variations and styles, if we aren't already aware of them. But meanwhile some less experienced players are having to work hard to get any kind of version of the tune going. I think it would be better if we were all on as equal a footing as possible, having to learn and think about tunes with which most of us are less familiar. I intend to post a rendition of StP within the next few days, but I'm trying to force myself to think about it in new ways, and not simply to put it up as I would normally play it (which isn't very often btw).
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »

Or we could elect a sort of executive officer for the month to make the decisions, but the decisions of the officer have to be ratified in a bi-weekly meeting ...

There is a video on facebook of a morris dance with me playing StP, sadly I cant rip the video, and the sound isnt that great on its own. Great cos its how I played it before I saw the 'tune of the month'. But now I have seen tune of the month, I cant help but think about the tune too much. How I can switch direction for phases to play different chord combinations, what about a minor version, how it sounds so refreshing played in A, and how i need to be more fluent in A (on a DG), as opposed to having the temptation to just play it how I know it.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »

As already pointed out, a more meaningful measure of electoral turnout would be relative to the currently-active melnet membership rather than the 940 registered. I've no idea what this is - maybe 200 or so?
'elp I'm being repressed! :P lol!

Or we could elect a sort of executive officer for the month to make the decisions, but the decisions of the officer have to be ratified in a bi-weekly meeting ...
or just have a sword in a stone and whoever can pull the sword out gets to decide? ;)

Keithypete.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 12:18:39 PM »

Sounds a tad too much like a morris bagging session/AGM. 'Be there or be Squire'.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 12:31:53 PM »

My feeling against StP and its ilk for TOTM is not so much that it is easy, but rather that it is too familiar to the more experienced players, who will mostly be very used to playing it, complete with their own idiosyncracies and variations.

I agree entirely. The best tune for TotM would be one that not many people know, but one that enough people would know for one to play it in a session. Also one that is fairly simple but has a large scope for interesting bass lines and/or variations.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal