Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help!! - need a tecchie/geek/anybody....  (Read 10593 times)

Johnjo

• Regular debater
Help!! - need a tecchie/geek/anybody....
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

Aaaargh!!!

I've tried to make a video for TOTM, even opened a youtube account, but I can't get the technology to work.

The video is about 140 Gb, so way too big for youtube, and I can't seem to get it to load in Windoze Movie Maker. The file has a .mov extension when it comes from the camera (Quicktime?), and WMM won't recognise it.

I'm trying to load it into Imovie on an eMac, having given up on the PC laptop (for now), but even if I get it loaded, how do I reduce the size for uploading to youtube?

I can do all of these things with still images (eg, in Photoshop), but these moving pictures are a black art....

Thanks.

John

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
Re: Help!! - need a tecchie/geek/anybody....
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »

LDT will have some ideas that will help.
I don't get 'jigs'

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »

I do know how to on a mac....but give me a chance to do some screenshots and a walkthough tonight and I'll put it up for you. As I'm at work at the moment and supposed to be working.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:30:44 PM »

I do know how to on a mac....but give me a chance to do some screenshots and a walkthough tonight and I'll put it up for you. As I'm at work at the moment and supposed to be working.

Ta ver' much. In the meantime, I'll try and get the phone to work in record mode and have another go.

John

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »

Ta ver' much. In the meantime, I'll try and get the phone to work in record mode and have another go.

John
quick question...which version of imovie have you got?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

The software that comes with your camera may allow you to export the movie in a lower quality format. I have a Canon camera and came with a suite of tools on a CD for doing this kind of job and many others. You should also be able to change the settings in the camera itself so that it record clips in lower quality.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »

John
quick question...which version of imovie have you got?

Imovie 3.0.3 on an eMac running OS 10.3.9 (soz, it's very old). If it's any help, I've also got access to a PC with XPPro, which is more recent.

I've managed to get a 17Mb file by recording at 10fps qvga (whatever that means). I'm recording using the video function of a Panasonic digital camera. I think that an older Fuji digicam I've got may record straight to avi format. Perhaps that'll be better?

John

John

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »

The software that comes with your camera may allow you to export the movie in a lower quality format. I have a Canon camera and came with a suite of tools on a CD for doing this kind of job and many others. You should also be able to change the settings in the camera itself so that it record clips in lower quality.

That's a good idea Steve - I'll try and find the original software disk for the Panasonic. I only bothered to install the software so I can process raw stills files. There may be something useful if I can find the second CD that came with it.

Thanks

John

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »

Try downloading Streamclip (www.squared5.com/) and using that to convert your file to MPEG4, which will be compressed down to be suitable for YouTube.  This is what I use myself - it seems to work well.

"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »

Imovie 3.0.3 on an eMac running OS 10.3.9 (soz, it's very old). If it's any help, I've also got access to a PC with XPPro, which is more recent.

oh dear....go job I asked....
I've got a macbook with I-movie08...so screenshots might not be helpful. :(

I've managed to get a 17Mb file by recording at 10fps qvga (whatever that means). I'm recording using the video function of a Panasonic digital camera. I think that an older Fuji digicam I've got may record straight to avi format. Perhaps that'll be better?
with avi will work with windows moviemaker

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0lwFjWXOo

5 minutes video for me takes 40 minutes of final rendering to a WMV file for You Tube in HD .... Upload is about another 40 mins or quicker if fast broadband!

Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »

Aaaargh!!!

I've tried to make a video for TOTM, even opened a youtube account, but I can't get the technology to work.

The video is about 140 Gb, so way too big for youtube, and I can't seem to get it to load in Windoze Movie Maker. The file has a .mov extension when it comes from the camera (Quicktime?), and WMM won't recognise it.

I'm trying to load it into Imovie on an eMac, having given up on the PC laptop (for now), but even if I get it loaded, how do I reduce the size for uploading to youtube?

140Gb sounds very large -- uncompressed HD video is about 17Gb an hour. Do you mean 140Mb? still too large for YouTube obviously. It's a while since I've used the older version of iMovie (they completely rewrote it a couple of years ago, it's now much harder to make 'real' movies using iMovie, but YouTube vids are very simple). But as I recall, it's like this:

You plug your camera in using a FireWire cable, and turn on the camera and fire up iMovie.

There's a toggle with a picture of a camera, you want to toggle that to the camera side and import your footage at 1-1 speed I think.

Once you've got your footage on iMovie you drag the bits you want to the editing line, and then crop the beginning and end to make it nice. You can then add a title screen if you like.

File -- Export is the bit you want once your movie is ready. It's got a range of export features and you want a fairly low quality one, but it won't say  YouTube. I think the level you will want is likely to be 'Quicktime - Web'.

Here's an online iMovie 3 tutorial -- http://www.aug.edu/media_services/pdf/how-to/iMovie3.pdf

Hope that helps!

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »

i dont do this that often .. but, does everyone upload the raw movie file to Youtube ??

I did mine from camera ... on a fine setting.. the size of that 240 meg.. i then converted that to a flash movie file (flv). .. that compressed to 11.8 meg

my flv  converter comes with the Adobe creative suite ... but there should be others out there
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

If it's any help, my usual process (Windows based) is as follows:

1.  Copy the video file from my camcorder to the PC.  From my camera, this is in .mpg format, so is too big for YouTube.

2.  Load the file into Premiere Elements for editing.  Trim, add titles, adjust audio and video settings as needed, then export as AVI.

3.  Load the AVI into Streamclip, then export as an MPEG4, usually in 'HD' quality.

4.  Upload the MPEG4 into YouTube.

There are, of course options even with this.  There's no absolute need to edit the footage, but I find it is worth spending at least a little time tidying it up.  From Elements, it's possible to publish direct to your YouTube account.  I've not tried this, but I guess it would be quicker if I was in a rush.  Also, if I wasn't using Elements, I'd still be able to trim the video just using Streamclip, should it be required. 
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »

i dont do this that often .. but, does everyone upload the raw movie file to Youtube ??
I do sorta....my digital camera has a 'youtube mode' which limits the video so you can only record up to the amount youtube will accept filesize and length wise. Its usually saved as a MOV file and I upload stright as is.
I usue that for out and about when I can't exactly carry my laptop with me.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »

Aaaargh!!!

140Gb sounds very large -- uncompressed HD video is about 17Gb an hour. Do you mean 140Mb? still too large for YouTube obviously. It's a while since I've used the older version of iMovie (they completely rewrote it a couple of years ago, it's now much harder to make 'real' movies using iMovie, but YouTube vids are very simple). But as I recall, it's like this:

You plug your camera in using a FireWire cable, and turn on the camera and fire up iMovie.

There's a toggle with a picture of a camera, you want to toggle that to the camera side and import your footage at 1-1 speed I think.

Once you've got your footage on iMovie you drag the bits you want to the editing line, and then crop the beginning and end to make it nice. You can then add a title screen if you like.

File -- Export is the bit you want once your movie is ready. It's got a range of export features and you want a fairly low quality one, but it won't say  YouTube. I think the level you will want is likely to be 'Quicktime - Web'.

Here's an online iMovie 3 tutorial -- http://www.aug.edu/media_services/pdf/how-to/iMovie3.pdf

Hope that helps!

Thanks ever so much to everybody who's chipped in. Yes - I'm a donkey. It's 140 Mb, not Gb.

I'll have a look at the Imovies option, but in the meantime have downloaded the Squared 5 software, which has turned it into an mpeg file.

Am trying to upload it to Youtube as I type.

Thanks again everyone.

John

craigus

• Good talker
    • Squashbox Theatre
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »

[/quote]

I use a fujifilm digital stills camera on movie mode - it records in avi. and can be uploaded to youtube easily in that format.
Beltuna Sara 3 D/G, Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G, Hohner Pokerwork C/F, Hohner Club C/F, Hohner one row C, weird Russian thing C.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »

Yippee!!!

The technology works!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B39a_JaFlG4

Thanks again for all your help.

John

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 08:55:43 AM »

I have done my video, but the camera (Panasonic DMC-TZ7) recorded it in 'AVCHD Lite' format. I thought this wouldn't be a problem as there is an 'upload to YouTube' button on the (really quite annoying IMO) software it came with...but this just keeps popping error messages up to me when I try to upload it.

I can't 'see' the video on my PC (just a bunch of files) I can only view it through the supplied software - PHOTOFunSTUDIO (it isn't fun so far... ::))

Cheers

Fi

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 09:38:59 AM »

(its been a long time since I used my panasonic....and that only had video without sound) Have you tried importing it to desktop and opening it in windows movie maker?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal