Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to dissolve old glue?  (Read 10994 times)

risto

• Respected Sage
How to dissolve old glue?
« on: November 11, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »

Is it animal glue that was most commonly used in the old days to glue box parts? I'm asking this as I need to make a new 'base veneer' for my old Erika on the treble side. If it is animal glue should it soften with heat?
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: How to dissolve old glue?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »

Is it animal glue that was most commonly used in the old days to glue box parts? I'm asking this as I need to make a new 'base veneer' for my old Erika on the treble side. If it is animal glue should it soften with heat?

"base veneer"?   Well whatever, to answer  the question.  To soften animal glue you really need water, and enough time for the water to penetrate.  Heat can speed up the process.  How you do it depends how deep in the joint the glue is located.  Sometimes a brief spray of water to damp the surafce,  or cover the joint with wet paper, or if its a deep joint drill a small hole into the joint and force water into the hole.  If it needs more than a minute or two, then cover the whole area with something waterproof, eg cling film to stop the water from evaporating.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »

"base veneer"? Couldn't thing of a proper word, I mean the main plate on which the reed blocks are attached onto.

So basically I want to dissasemble the whole treble side of the Erika. I know quitar decks can be taken off without distroying the other parts. I just wonder if they can use water?

Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

That part is usually referred to as the soundboard.

Well I start this by removing all the keyboard, action etc.  Slide off the 4 metal corner pieces, then with a bit of gentle tapping with a light hammer and a block of scrap wood to protect the surface you usually find that some  of the joints come apart quite easily.  Then for the ones that are still tight, brush or spray water along all the joint edges.  Place the whole thing in a plastic bag and leave it for a few hours, then repeat the process.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »

I couldn't get the water 'trick' quite work, besides I'm afraid it damages the old dry wood as it seems very eagar to absorbe the moisture. I heard of a furniture repair recipe to remove old glue with a mixture of white vinegar with hot water. Anybody know more about this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal