Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: CBA-C system  (Read 32744 times)

Lars

Re: CBA-C system
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »

There is also the chromatic that looks like a diatonic...
Like this one:
Celtique

Well, that "look" has been around for ages. Look at the old Soprani 3, 4 and 5 row diatonics from 1900-1930. They also featured wooden bodies, open stepped keyboards and stradella bass layout. Although the plastic-fantastic CBA design has been in favour since, that look is old, and was the common of the time.

Regarding the 'fintocromo', I've seen quite a few of them at accordion festivals here in scandinavia - especially when I once visited northern Sweden. And yes, they sound AMAZING. They have the sound of a blowtorch, without being screamy. I saw a Scandia once (aren't they swedish-made?), and it was a truely magnificent sound. Just yank the bellows, and it roars (in the nice way).

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 08:16:04 PM »

No personal experience, but here is a clip that surprised me.

Why did it surprise you, Theo? Packs a punch, doesn't it? I sometimes wonder about a CBA but I just have to think of the weight of the things to cure any temptation.

The fellow was asking for hints on improving his playing on thesession.org btw. I hope risto has noticed that (as far as I can see) he uses only three fingers...  :P

Larry Anthony

• Good talker
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 09:19:21 PM »

I hope risto has noticed that (as far as I can see) he uses only three fingers...  :P

No, he uses four fingers, have a look at his pinkie.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 10:15:53 PM »

No personal experience, but here is a clip that surprised me.

Why did it surprise you, Theo?

Because the few times I've seen a CBA the players seem to like playing quite formal, almost classical  arrangements with lots of lush chords, left hand counter melodies (one was a freebass) and while there were lots of things going and it was technically accomplished playing there was not much life in the music.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:05 PM »

No, he uses four fingers, have a look at his pinkie.

Well, I was! 

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »

Because the few times I've seen a CBA the players seem to like playing quite formal, almost classical  arrangements with lots of lush chords, left hand counter melodies (one was a freebass) and while there were lots of things going and it was technically accomplished playing there was not much life in the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRb3SIvV6ZY

FWIW, it looks like a B-system instrument.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:29 AM »

.... I hope risto has noticed that (as far as I can see) he uses only three fingers...  :P

Didn't pay attention to that at the time (as I was more interested in what the accordion was. On our local site it was recognized to be 'Accordiola') but now I have, and yes, what I can see it looks like if he's using just three fingers. Btw, I'v heard that the French players using four row accordions commonly keep the thumb on the edge of the keyboard like diatonic accordion players do. Can anyone confirm?

Is that a C or B system accordion?

EDIT: He also seems to have no use for the fourth inside row....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:06:39 AM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »

Yes - I found this clip a few weeks ago and I agree it is the best of the bunch by a long way (and she is indeed playing a B-system).
However, there is also a quite good version played on a D/G melodeon here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eGFXXE-ZpyU&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:46:39 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:03 AM »

Is that a C or B system accordion?
If the accordion has black buttons for accidentals, it's easy to tell...
When looking at the keyboard in a horizontal position, if the black buttons rise up the rows from left to right it's a B system; if the black buttons descend the rows from left to right, it's a C system.

If the accordion has all white buttons, you can't tell just by looking!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 08:54:21 AM »

The ultimate heresy on this forum ? ;)

At 55, I reckon I'm too old now to learn new tricks, but if I were to have my time over again, I would want to play the CBA. It's a fantastic instrument! :)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

george garside

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »

many 'all white' continentals have a thin black line on the top  edge of the 'black' buttons facing up towards  so  that only the driver can see them.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »

Did I need to be told that.  ;)

Someone who plays well one or the other system will recognize the fingering patterns and can tell.
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 11:18:47 AM »

Yes - I found this clip a few weeks ago and I agree it is the best of the bunch by a long way (and she is indeed playing a B-system).
However, there is also a quite good version played on a D/G melodeon here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eGFXXE-ZpyU&feature=related

Well its interesting how our tastes differ.  The diatonic version appeals to me more than the CBA.  I agree that the CBA player is more technically accomplished but I still get a little something indefinable from the diatonic player that I don't get from the CBA.  Not trying to criticise others musical preferences, or convince anybody to agree with me. :D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »

At 55, I reckon I'm too old now to learn new tricks,...

I'm soon 54 and just got from stringed instruments to melodeons which is a much deeper conversion. You all ready have the dextrity. I started a second masters degree in the university in 2005 with some other fellas of the same age and right from the start we were doing better than the youngsters.

Larry Anthony

• Good talker
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »

Lars

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 12:51:49 PM »

I've looked at quite a lot of CBA-players (standard, besides the PA here in Denmark), and from what I've been told, the 'not using thumb' was popular about 40-50 years ago. Thus, many of the players learning back then would use that system when learning from records or other players. Carl Erik Lundgaard Jensen, one of the finest traditional players of CBA in the Danish style once told me, that it was merely a matter of fashion when he started.

BUT: I've also noticed a different style. Those using the thumb tend to play "heavier", and painting a darker image of the music, because the thumb often is a bit slower in movement than the others, and naturally being situated a note or two lower than the other 4 on the keyboard. Those players I know who almost never, or indeed never, use thumb on the CBA have quite a more light sound to them.

Any other opinions on this, although we as melodeonists would think of using the thumb as quite ackward.

Larry Anthony

• Good talker
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »

At 55, I reckon I'm too old now to learn new tricks, but if I were to have my time over again, I would want to play the CBA. It's a fantastic instrument! :)

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 01:34:38 PM »

My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 03:07:07 PM »

It just so happens I've got one to sell.  I demurred from posting it in the Buy and Sell forum here since it's not a melodeon but since this thread's about them, here goes.  It's one of these:

http://www.jimlaabs.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6121

which was where I got it from, it's black, B system with case and straps.  It's had very little use, I don't have time to play all my boxes, hence the sale.  I'm open to offers, and I'm in Hampshire (UK) if anyone wants to try it out.

Larry Anthony

• Good talker
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »

It just so happens I've got one to sell.  I demurred from posting it in the Buy and Sell forum here since it's not a melodeon but since this thread's about them, here goes.  It's one of these:

http://www.jimlaabs.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6121

which was where I got it from, it's black, B system with case and straps.  It's had very little use, I don't have time to play all my boxes, hence the sale.  I'm open to offers, and I'm in Hampshire (UK) if anyone wants to try it out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal