Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: King of the box!  (Read 7933 times)

Andrew Culwell

Re: King of the box!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 04:14:06 AM »

This is one of those threads that can go forever,  I have to Mention Richard Galliano when it comes to French Musette he is a master of his intrument and genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quZuGOcmVQ0&feature=related
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 04:26:13 AM »

No List is complete without Myron Floren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2lxwlP65g

hibbs3

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 04:31:42 AM »

For diatonic quint tuned 3 row I'd have to nominate Mr. Bernard Felix of Black Duck Brook, Newfoundland Canada. Not only is he the most ravishing musician I've ever seen, he's mastered a flawless cross-row technique enabling him to play his left hand bass to match the chords and rhythm of the bass guitar his good friend Norman Formanger is playing along with him. Oh, and the cherry on top, he had his right index, middle and ring finger lopped off in an industrial accident, only to have the index and middle re-attached. He also enjoys beating out the rhythm on an amped-up board attached to his chair, with his feet. Have a listen! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEMOYDubGPw

HallelujahAl

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »

Here is one of the greatest button accordion players of all time, The late Will Starr, Such a great showman with great technique and such accurate playing.

Have to slightly disagree with you Scottbox. I don't think Will Starr had anything like the control and measure of Drumkilbo of this forum. Fantastic showmanship and superb speed, but as graeme says, perhaps not the best control...but he more than made up for it in other ways.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »

george garside

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »

Here is one of the greatest button accordion players of all time, The late Will Starr, Such a great showman with great technique and such accurate playing.

Have to slightly disagree with you Scottbox. I don't think Will Starr had anything like the control and measure of Drumkilbo of this forum. Fantastic showmanship and superb speed, but as graeme says, perhaps not the best control...but he more than made up for it in other ways.

My 'vote' is still for  sir Jimmy Shand.   In his early days (first recordings 1933) he exelled as a solo artist and indeed started as a one row man, progressing to 2 & then to 3 rows  but still recording from time to time on a simple hohner erica!  In the blurb  with the CD Jimmy Shand the king of the melodeon men EM! 1994  JOhn Kirkpatrick,( English BCC#pist of some renown)  wrote  "Shand's early playing knocks me sideways, the playing is so exiting, quite manic...he's a real virtuoso. JK aalso went on to say that "Shands band was an absolutely inspired combination, perfect for that kind of dance music".  Martin Carthy of English folk fame said on the same CD blurb ' Jimmy Shand is the best country dance band leader ever".

As an all round virtuoso of the button box and one of the few who could do it   with absolutely minimalistic movement  he is  the bloke we can all learn a great deal from.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 03:46:38 PM »

Marc Perrone.  

But maybe....... Riccardo Tesi........  Stephane Delicq...... Tony Hall...... John Kirkpatrick.....

Those are just the ones I've found so far.  Any of them could be king in their own kingdom.

In the younger generation Markku Lepisto has to be one of the most musical and skillful players and composers ever.  You can get several of his albums on Itunes.  He is utterly stunning.

Looking forward to listening to all the box kings I haven't yet heard.
Nick

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »

John J. Kimmel still reigns supreme, from the Great Beyond...
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

LIAM-ROBINSON

• Good talker
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »

May I add Stephane Landry, Johnny Connolly, Fred Guichen, Steve Jordan and Kadri G Laube plus agree with Shand, kirkpatrick, Joe Derrane......Bob Cann, Andy Cutting, Flaco Jimenez......

So many inspirational musicians....plus lots of others we haven't got round to yet....We're lucky people!  The best thing about this thread is the chance to check out some names we haven't discovered yet..keep it going.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 06:04:14 PM »

For diatonic quint tuned 3 row I'd have to nominate Mr. Bernard Felix of Black Duck Brook, Newfoundland Canada. Not only is he the most ravishing musician I've ever seen, he's mastered a flawless cross-row technique enabling him to play his left hand bass to match the chords and rhythm of the bass guitar his good friend Norman Formanger is playing along with him. Oh, and the cherry on top, he had his right index, middle and ring finger lopped off in an industrial accident, only to have the index and middle re-attached. He also enjoys beating out the rhythm on an amped-up board attached to his chair, with his feet. Have a listen! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEMOYDubGPw

I really like the energy of this.  Are there more recordings/videos of him online?
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

HallelujahAl

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »

My 'vote' is still for Sir Jimmy Shand.

Without a doubt! Explains why I listen to Shand still almost everyday. I find him still so inspirational.
AL

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 07:46:23 PM »

And Marc Perrone.
And Marcel Messervier.

There can't be this many kings!

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »

Everyone of them is King of the Hill, we just keep building more hills... :D

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »

There really is no way to say who is the king but we certainly can say who in our estimation is a king of the myriad of styles and box types out there!

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 08:02:30 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  This album is so full of joy, its a real pick up if I'm feeling down
Nick

jack

• Regular debater
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 09:32:02 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lgXQBWx80k&feature=related

haven't attempted this before
the link is to cumbia
anyone got or know of links to resources?

scottbox

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 11:36:56 PM »

Hello Graeme, Yes I am who you think I am, Yes Starrs showmanship was great, And he always managed to get that famous KICK in!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal