Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Left and right hand development  (Read 4853 times)

craigus

• Good talker
    • Squashbox Theatre
Re: Left and right hand development
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 08:59:20 PM »

Apart from being right or left-handed, is the relative development of the bass hand and melody hand not also a case of playing style?

In France, where cross-rowing is the norm, then right from the start players learn to find fingerings which will suit the direction of the basses, in other words the tunes are chord-led.
In Ireland, they often don't worry too much about the basses at all, but concentrate on getting the style and ornamentation of the melody.
In England it's somewhere in between, and of course one-row players are somewhat limited anyway!

That's so true. I came to the melodeon sort of by accident / curiosity many years ago, and, apart from listening to a lot of folk music, I was not part of any particular folk tradition eg. knew nothing about morris dancing, tune history, folk clubs etc. I just learnt this bizarre instrument as it presented itself to me! I never even thought, for example, of playing a tune just sticking to one-row, and the first style I actively tried to imitate was the european style - cross-rowing and bass runs, with bass chords guiding treble buton choices. So the left hand has always been as important as the right in my playing - it's got nothing to do with being left or right handed, I think (I'm left handed).
However, maybe being left-handed give you slightly more dexterity (or sinisterity) with the bellows and air button use...
Beltuna Sara 3 D/G, Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G, Hohner Pokerwork C/F, Hohner Club C/F, Hohner one row C, weird Russian thing C.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Left and right hand development
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 11:51:28 PM »

There oughtn't really (in theory) to be any great difficulty in a right-handed person using his/her left hand to do all the really clever stuff, us fiddlers have to do ut all the time to make our notes. The only real hardship seems to be applying it to the melodeon. Hmmm - back to the droolling board .... .. .  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal