Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pedal Notes  (Read 4798 times)

Aunty Social

• Punk's not dead!
Pedal Notes
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »

Been doing a bit of home study with the JK DVD and am stuck on the pedal notes section. It seems such a fluid way to play but I'm completely stuck as to WHAT to play! Can anybody explain this technique please?
Never do as you are told.

LJC

Re: Pedal Notes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »

I cant comment on the DVD as I've not seen it, but the basic idea of a pedal note is that you play one note as a repeating idea in between playing other melody notes.

I've been told that it comes from Organ playing where its very easy to play a repeating note in your melody by using your feet - hence pedal note.

A good way to practice this is play up a G scale (on a DG box) and after each note play a low G (see example).

You can do an easier version on a one row or a DG with low notes by pedaling the D on the 1st button pull and 2nd button push, meaning that you don't need to keep changing bellows direction to get the low D.

A good tune example I can think of off the top of my head is 'Harvest Home' where it pedals a low A against a rising melody line in both the A and B parts.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:21:15 PM »

That can't possibly be right - I can understand it!  :-\

Thanks (at last!)

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

LJC

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:44:32 PM »

Glad to be of service  ;D

Aunty Social

• Punk's not dead!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I think I was on the right lines but I'm guessing there are phrases where this fits more comfortably, both to the fingers and the ear. I'll practise Harvest Home (not played that before) and putting it into scales and see what clicks. Poor wife!
Never do as you are told.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »

Strictly speaking a pedal is (as I understand it) any note you hold while playing others that are not held. For the alternating pedal type of figures that I think you are talking about - very common in esp. Irish and Scottish music (Harvest Home is a good example) - I use a convenient name coined by Australian musicologist and melodeon squeezer Graeme Smith, who called them "rocking pedals".

He used it in his thesis, parts of which I read nearly 3 decades ago while it was in preparation, for the purposes of discussing Irish fiddling styles, where the bow rocks back and forth between strings, but I suppose it could be used to describe similar passages greatly beloved of French and other diato players in waltzes etc. "Pedal" on its own is a bit misleading, or at least not very specific.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »

The B part of Sydney Smith's march?
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »

LJC

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »

Oh yes, that is a good example of pedaling the middle D. Really easy to play on the fiddle!

LJC

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »

Sorry for the double post, modify wouldn't let me post an attachment with it!

Trip to Highgate is another good tune with a bit of a pedal - in this case the low D in the B section.

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »

Strictly speaking a pedal note is classical terminology for what we would call a drone.  It could be a held note or a note that is repeated in some rhythmic pattern.
Nick

LJC

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:19:31 AM »

I would disagree - A drone has to be a note which the music can resolve its self to, where as a pedal note can be a dissonant note which has to resolve its self to the music.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 09:07:36 AM »

I think the French call a pedal note "rappelle"
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »

On croit qu' on se rappelle de cela Whatever brought this on ???  However such a word would would make good sense - going back - reminder - memory. 

BTW I'd be another that perceives drone (bourdon) ;) as a quite different musical concept.
  _       _    _      _ 

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

Well it would be "un rappel" but I can't find any indication that this means a pedal in music in the dictionaries I have at home, nor online. Will check with educated musician friends a bit later in the day.

The most common meaning of "rappel" in the performing arts is a curtain call - calling the artists back on stage by applause, and by extension, what we in English call an encore.  (:)

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »

Most likely "note de rappel" in this context. The note gets recalled () throughout the melody. The "pedal" could be called note soutenue as in "sustained".
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 11:07:37 PM »

I noticed an example of this while listening to an old Blowzabella tape in the car today (yes, my car is old enought to have a casette player).
It was Dave Roberts playing Bricks and Mortar. The first bar of the B is just a descending run of 4 notes
G F# E D, but he used the G below as a "pedal" note between each. It makes a nice little exercise to do, especially as two of the pedal notes are on the push and two on the pull.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 01:36:22 AM »

I noticed an example of this while listening to an old Blowzabella tape in the car today (yes, my car is old enought to have a casette player).
It was Dave Roberts playing Bricks and Mortar. The first bar of the B is just a descending run of 4 notes
G F# E D, but he used the G below as a "pedal" note between each. It makes a nice little exercise to do, especially as two of the pedal notes are on the push and two on the pull.

I'd probably be lazy and play F# on the push and the G after the E on the pull :D
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 07:30:34 AM »

I'd probably be lazy and play F# on the push and the G after the E on the pull :D

While Dave's tunes are great stuff, don't put too much effort into working out his fingering.

He bought one of the very first Castagnaris into England and their expedition to AFAIR Sidmouth had been a rush job. The local reed maker didn't have a proper D/G set to hand, so the gnomes of Recanati simply re-reeded some G/C's with D on the inner row

As a result Dave played on G/D rather than D/G. I think someone here still has the accordion.
  _       _    _      _ 

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 09:13:26 AM »

While Dave's tunes are great stuff, don't put too much effort into working out his fingering.

He bought one of the very first Castagnaris into England and their expedition to AFAIR Sidmouth had been a rush job. The local reed maker didn't have a proper D/G set to hand, so the gnomes of Recanati simply re-reeded some G/C's with D on the inner row

As a result Dave played on G/D rather than D/G. I think someone here still has the accordion.

Utter garbage, Chris. This story is a complete fabrication.

Dave had always played a G/D Hohner rather than a D/G. I supplied him with his first Castagnari (a Hascy) in 1984, which was specially built for him as a G/D.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal