Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know Rossa?  (Read 5175 times)

SteveC

• Regular debater
Anyone know Rossa?
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:02:16 PM »

Just come back from a session and heard two beautiful tunes, Rossa and Town End, played as a set.

Found Town End by David Faulkner but can't find a trace of Rossa on the net as abc or score.
It sounds very French but apparently is written by someone English.

Anyone know of this tune? Can point me to abc or score?

Thanks

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
Re: Anyone know Rossa?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:50:18 AM »

Is this the tune - Rosza?

Ed J

LJC

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:17:57 AM »

Or this one?

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:49 AM »

Thanks for looking.

I'm fairly certain it's not the one for the dance, Rosa, I know South Wind.

It might be Rosza but I'm not convinced. The tune I heard was in a minor key. It was played in Em and given a 3/4 waltx time accompaniment.

Thanks again.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:02 AM »

The exact key tends to change - eg session.org have it in Bm. I remember it from Late Night Band in the 80's, but forgotton what we danced to it, waltz I think. So it's a matter of whether Rosa/Rossa/Rosza is the on you are after! I note LJC's pdf has both names with Rosa as dance, South Wind as tune.

Says here 'Undine Hornby' - any relation to Andy? Lancaster's keen composer?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:48:47 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:33:06 AM »

Thanks for looking.

I'm fairly certain it's not the one for the dance, Rosa, I know South Wind.

It might be Rosza but I'm not convinced. The tune I heard was in a minor key. It was played in Em and given a 3/4 waltx time accompaniment.

Thanks again.
Rosza (as linked by Ed above) is also in a minor key, and could easily (in fact probably better) written as 3/4.
The exact key tends to change - eg session.org have it in Bm. I remember it from Late Night Band in the 80's, but forgotton what we danced to it, waltz I think. So it's a matter of whether Rosa/Rossa/Rosza is the on you are after! I note LJC's pdf has both names with Rosa as dance, South Wind as tune.

Says here 'Undine Hornby' - any relation to Andy? Lancaster's keen composer?

Thanks for looking. I think you may be right - have converted to Em and 3/4 - my musical memory not brilliant but a lovely tune whatever. I'll take the music next week and see if it tallies.

Thanks again - great usergroup this!

jb

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »

Here's some more info, including that the original title is Rozsa. That would make more sense than Rosza, as it is Hungarian for "Rose".
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 10:49:21 AM »

The dance is great fun as well, especially for the male of the species!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

This must be it. Thanks for the extra info. Just found the Late Night Band on MySpace

So now you've helped me to find a great tune and a great band.

Cheers

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

Found Town End by David Faulkner but can't find a trace of Rossa on the net as abc or score.

I've got 3 of the Eelgrinder CDs - can't find Town End in there and it's not on the listing for that border pipes one either.

Do you have the music to share here please. (ABC in preference).

If anyone's not heard Dave - do make that journey to do so. Very close between him and Anne Marie Summers as the most fluid English bagpiper IMHO.  He once entered the St Chartier bagpipe own tune competition. Completely fixed the French judges, who don't like Britaniques winning (Cutting was disqualified for being 'too good'). In Dave's case they 'decided not to award a 1st prize' this year, and put him second!
  _       _    _      _ 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »

I had a little trouble trying to openRosza in ABC Navigator and kept getting odd results!  :o It turned out that the software was opening patrs os Mr Robinson's Web Address. Here is my slightly amended version which avoids this problem - the observant will also see that I've altered the key to Em.

X: 12
T:Rosza
C:Undine Hornby
G:E.P. Band
L:1/8
M:6/8
O:England
K:Em
cBG|\
E2EGBe g2geBE|c2ABcd BcBAGF|
E2EGBe g2geBe\
|1 cBABcd B3cBG :|2 c2ABcd B4B2|
c2efg2 B2efg2|fga2gf g2f2e2|\
c2efg2 B2efg2|fga2gf e3dcB|
cefgfe Befgfe|fga2gf g2f2e2|\
cefgfe Befgfe|fga2gf e3||

Right ho!

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »

the original title is Rozsa. That would make more sense than Rosza, as it is Hungarian for "Rose".

My cursed ability to remember useful facts calls to mind that this was the name of Undine's favourite braqnd of paprika.  Now that will alll help you play it (:)  If anyone has any tips of transferring said skill to useful stuff, like wherabouts of glasses etc, please tell

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

I've got 3 of the Eelgrinder CDs - can't find Town End in there and it's not on the listing for that border pipes one either.

Do you have the music to share here please. (ABC in preference).

If anyone's not heard Dave - do make that journey to do so. Very close between him and Anne Marie Summers as the most fluid English bagpiper IMHO.  He once entered the St Chartier bagpipe own tune competition. Completely fixed the French judges, who don't like Britaniques winning (Cutting was disqualified for being 'too good'). In Dave's case they 'decided not to award a 1st prize' this year, and put him second!

Sorry, been on holiday for the week.

Is this any good?

X: 1
T:Town End
C:David Faulkner
R:Mazurka
A:England
N:after a live transcription by Matthias Loibner
N:aus Simon Waschers TradArchiv
Z:abc trancription Simon Wascher
M:3/4
L:1/8
%F:http://simonwascher.info/TradArchiv_mazurka/town_end.abc 2006-09-26 22:13:58 UT
K:G
B2BA Bd | B2BA Bd | A2AG AB | ed cB AG |
B2BA Bd | B2BA Bd | ed cB AB |1 G6 :|\
                             [2G3 ABd ||
e2ed (3cde | d2dc Bd | fe dc BA | B2G2Bd |
e2ed (3cde | d2dc Bd | fe dc BA | G6 :|

Steve

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 08:05:06 AM »

I was introduced to this beautiful tune (Rosza) last year as a "folk camp favourite".
We're in the process of compiling a Folkcamp Germany tunebook and want to include Rosza. Does anybody have a contact email for Undine Hornby, so that I can ask for permission to include the tune?

Louise

jb

• Respected Sage
Re: Anyone know ROZSA?
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

If you do get to publish it, you might want to restore the correct spelling to the title, as given here:
http://www.webfeet.org/eceilidh/bands/late-night-band.html
I think the incorrect spelling might have originated with the entry on Richard Robinson's tunebook site.
Good luck with tracking down Undine Hornby. I think she stopped performing/recording a while ago. I suppose some of her old LNB colleagues might know where she is now.
Rozsa (well, actually rózsa) is Hungarian for rose, btw.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:07:46 PM by jb »
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »

And Undine didn't only write the tune, she created the dance as well! Tallented Lady!  8)
I'm a Yorkie!

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »

And Undine didn't only write the tune, she created the dance as well! Tallented Lady!  8)
Gordon Potts wrote the dance, like it says in the link posted earlier...

(and Panjandrum still do it to Vuomo-Pertti's Mazurka, since Hilda and me were playing it long before TCB adopted it)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:08:54 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »

Sorry Ian - I must have missed that bit!  :|bl
I'm a Yorkie!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal