Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Banks of Sicily  (Read 7223 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Banks of Sicily
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:51 PM »

Re the above, I see that Steve Jones quotes the rhythm as 3/4. Isn't it a 6/8 march rather? This throws the bass emphases into different parts of the bar from 3/4 and makes the rhythm easier on the brain (well, it does mine anyway). George's definition has to do with watching a man's bottom, but as I'm attracted to ladies, I find this harder than some.  :|bl

Chris.

P.S. Theo - I realise this might seem to be "Tune" relevant, but I put it in here as it relates to Steve's thread, but is not directly related to his main subject, which I didn't want to interupt!

CJB.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

george garside

Re: Banks of Sicily
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »

Re the above, I see that Steve Jones quotes the rhythm as 3/4. Isn't it a 6/8 march rather? This throws the bass emphases into different parts of the bar from 3/4 and makes the rhythm easier on the brain (well, it does mine anyway). George's definition has to do with watching a man's bottom, but as I'm attracted to ladies, I find this harder than some.  :|bl

Chris.

P.S. Theo - I realise this might seem to be "Tune" relevant, but I put it in here as it relates to Steve's thread, but is not directly related to his main subject, which I didn't want to interupt!

CJB.
[/quote

its the swirling kilt you watch rather than the arse within it!  - for those puzzled by  the 'mans bottom' comment above  I sometimes recount the story of a well known box & mouthorgan players   response to the question 'how do you differentiate between a 6/8 pipe march & a jig'.  The response was on the lines of ' imagine yourself in a pipe band behind a 6ft drum major & imagine an image of  his large backside swinging the kilt in time with the drum beat. - with that image you can't get a 6/8 march  wrong or words to that effect.

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:09:02 AM »

< ;D >
   Intriguing concepts here. I've not heard of 'Bank of Sicily' for some time and so I do hope it hasn't shared the fate of the Bank of Iceland.  

We've all been watching banks bottom over the past year, and I note the Governor of the Bank of England has the 'cheek' to propose dividing them. Present fella is a Mervyn ...  but wasn't the last one a 'George'?  And can anyone offer as reference to that 'watching' thing*.

Google only gets me things like "For Baring Bank, things had hit rock bottom" .. (and some other URL's I'd rather not post here)  :|bl
</ ;D >

* Thanks George. Excellent prescience!
  _       _    _      _ 

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:28:18 AM »

I think...that 'Banks of Sicily' is the 1st and 3rd measure of the 6/8 pipe march 'Farewell to the Creeks'[ by PM J. Robertson of Banff] put into waltz time and words added. I can nearly remember who wrote the song as there was a documentary a few years ago on tv that mentioned the circumstances of the author in Italy during WW2 and hearing the pipes playing that tune so far from home. Just can't quite remember who it was now.
Ian.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »

Yes, you are right Drumkilbo. The tune was written by the good pipe-major in (I think) 1919 and Hamish Henderson set words to it as "The 51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily" just before they left to land in Italy during the War.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »

Yes of course, Hamish Henderson it was !!

Ian.

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:43:22 PM »

Ian.

Hamish also wrote the words of Freedon Come All Ye to the tune The Bloody Fields of Flanders, another fine march which goes well with The 51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:45:19 PM by Graeme »

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »

Ian.

Hamish also wrote the words of Freedon Come All Ye to the tune The Bloody Fields of Flanders, another fine march which goes well with The 51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily.

A great version of FCAY by Luke Kelly is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl7MYTTHUFg along with Battle of the Somme.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »

Is there another name for The Bloody Fields of Flanders - I can't find it on JC's.  :o

Chris,

I'm a Yorkie!

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 11:05:42 PM »

Is there another name for The Bloody Fields of Flanders - I can't find it on JC's.  :o

Chris,
No. But here's the music for it in bagpipe notation.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 10:24:50 AM »

Thanks Bill - do I just ignore the grace notes to play "normally"?

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »

Thanks Bill - do I just ignore the grace notes to play "normally"?

Chris.
Chris, yes, that usually works fine. However, I've since found a "melodeon friendly" version with suggested chords. Here it is.

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »

The tune was written by the good pipe-major in (I think) 1919 and Hamish Henderson set words to it as "The 51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily" just before they left to land in Italy during the War.

Another tune related to the 51st Highland Division is The Heroes of St Valery composed by Pipe Major Donald MacLean of Lewis. Does anyone have the dots for this one?

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »

Another tune related to the 51st Highland Division is The Heroes of St Valery composed by Pipe Major Donald MacLean of Lewis. Does anyone have the dots for this one?
I don't have this one (by PM Donald MacLeod, not MacLean). You may not find it on the internet as it is still in print. It's in Book 2 (of 6) of his compositions, available from The National Piping Centre, Glasgow, or Footstompin', Edinburgh.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 09:26:37 PM »

I've since found a "melodeon friendly" version with suggested chords. Here it is.
Thanks Bill for this wonderful tune - does anyone know where I'd find a recording of it?
AL

NeilA

• Regular debater
    • youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »

I've since found a "melodeon friendly" version with suggested chords. Here it is.
Thanks Bill for this wonderful tune - does anyone know where I'd find a recording of it?
AL

The McCalmans recorded a version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-USyDcPi9kU&feature=related which has a concertina accompaniment. What  I like about the original pipe tune (Farewell to the Creeks) is that you play two parts before then hitting the well known part of the tune in the third part - a good affect, if people know what's coming and good to play towards.   

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 11:05:25 PM »

AL
Al, there are several versions on the site you pointed me towards a while back. There's a pipe version (track 17), and a version by a dance band (track 6).

NeilA

• Regular debater
    • youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »

Oops, lost the thread of the moving thread!

HallelujahAl

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »

Al, there are several versions on the site you pointed me towards a while back. There's a pipe version (track 17), and a version by a dance band (track 6).

Many thanks Bill - both great versions - though I prefer the pipe version for its sheer power & solemnity!
AL
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal