- 24 (30.8%)
Wheatley Trunkles
- 4 (5.1%)
Woodland Revels
- 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: October 31, 2009, 07:34:23 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise  (Read 98670 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:39:44 AM »

We have another winner - a beautiful little mazurka written by Maxou Heintzen from France, L'Inconnu de Limoise.

Courtesy of Lester again (Emmanuel Pariselle's transcription), here's the ABC for you (if you've never seen an ABC file before, read Lester's full article and he'll take you through how to turn this into musical notation).

Code: [Select]
X: 187
T:L'Inconnu d'Limoise
M:9/8
K:G
D G2 A|B3 -B2 G c2 A|B3 -B2 B c2 d|c3 -c2 B A2 G|D3 -D2 D G2 A|
B3 -B2 G c2 A|B3 -B2 B c2 d|c3 -c2 B A2 G|A3 -A2||
B c2 d|e3 g2 f e2 f|d3 -d2 c B2 A|G2 F G2 B A2 G|
D6 G2 F|E3 -E2 F G2 A|G3 F3 E3|F3 -F2 G A2 B|A3 -A2||

... and here's a nice version of it, played on a A/D melodeon, in D. If you're a D/G player, that's a little unfortunate - in most cases this tune is played on the inner row and ends up in G on a D/G box, or C on a G/C box. I dare say a nice video in G will be posted here before too long though.

Beginners - please don't be put off by this tune; it's really not that hard, and it is one of those tunes that seems to have the rhythm mystically built into it. It plays naturally in mazurka rhythm no matter what you do to it! In fact, it's a good reference tune for a mazurka - if you want to make sure you're playing a tune as a mazurka, play this tune first, then change into the tune you want to check for rhythm. (For example, see what happens when you put Michael Turner's Waltz on the end of L'Inconnu. Different, isn't it?). As ever, you'll get *lots* of helpful advice and encouragement here... so let's see how you do with it!

Advanced players - there's *lots* we can do with this, and I'm sure we'll see all manner of variations just like we did with Speed the Plough last month.

Looking forward to all seeing all your contributions!

Cheers,

Clive

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
Re: Nominations thread for the next Tune of the Month (November)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:34:22 PM »

L'Inconnu d'Limoise is my vote ...
ALTHOUGH!... I started trying to learn it a couple of evenings ago... I feel like a beginner because there are very few examples around for 'Play by Earers' like me.
Its actually quite a challenging tune .. and ultimately very rewarding once you get it! ... I heard a C part as well so i've lobbed that in too!
I recorded it this afternoon on a Saltarelle GC and will upload later regardless of the vote outcome as i've done the video already and it may help other to hear me murdering a beautiful tune and want to play it! .... someone previously said it was a session tune ... i'd never heard of it until i went looking for it last Weds.
I know it will evolve as i play it more and work out the cock ups!... so i find it intriguing to post early attempts and see how it evolves!
To be honest for some it might be a bit of a daunting tune to work out and hearing other versions of Princess Royal would be equally rewarding for me!
Sandy ... with your ear for melody and beautiful harmony you have to play it! ..you'll love it!.... look forward to seeing it and all the others.
Derek  :||:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UWBfkvkw4
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:16:33 PM by **DTN** »
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »

Great playing Derek and I love the rich deep voice of the Salterelle, what are keys?

I think that steady pace of this video would be a good starting point for people to learn it by ear

Derek was in C (inner row on a G/C). Yves doesn't specify- but he's in D and his bellows movement suggests a D/A to me - again inner row. Had a go - that's my feeling to and suggests it's a natural inner row tune.  G for most of us.

Anyone know what key Fred played it in?
  _       _    _      _ 

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »

Great playing Derek and I love the rich deep voice of the Salterelle, what are keys?

I think that steady pace of this video would be a good starting point for people to learn it by ear

Derek was in C (inner row on a G/C). Yves doesn't specify- but he's in D and his bellows movement suggests a D/A to me - again inner row. Had a go - that's my feeling to and suggests it's a natural inner row tune.  G for most of us.

Anyone know what key Fred played it in?

I hadn't got that Saltarelle out of its box for over 3 years (maybe longer) until this tune came along.... It was made as a GC delivery direct from Saltarelle way back in Year 2000 ... note the 12 Basses are in a different playing position to the standard typical box layout too... with the GC main 8 buttons @ the top of the layout!.... Box is a bit heavy and a strong low sound (Reed Blocks for low G are huge)  if i put all 3 voices on together its a big sound (i played with only 1 low reed then switched to only 1 high reed setting). The 2 Treble reed setting  is a nice powerful sound .... Must use it more! 8)
Derek

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 09:33:05 PM »

L'Inconnu d'Limoise is my vote ...

To be honest for some it might be a bit of a daunting tune to work out and hearing other versions of Princess Royal would be equally rewarding for me!

Derek  :||:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UWBfkvkw4

this sounds lovely Derek, and looks a bit of a challenge to play for beginners like me. It is great to see this so early on, thanks (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »

Starters for 10:

ABCs and YouTubes

X: 187
T:L'Inconnu d'Limoise
M:9/8
D G2 A|B3 -B2 G c2 A|B3 -B2 B c2 d|c3 -c2 B A2 G|D3 -D2 D G2 A|
B3 -B2 G c2 A|B3 -B2 B c2 d|c3 -c2 B A2 G|A3 -A2||
B c2 d|e3 g2 f e2 f|d3 -d2 c B2 A|G2 F G2 B A2 G|
D6 G2 F|E3 -E2 F G2 A|G3 F3 E3|F3 -F2 G A2 B|A3 -A2||

Emmanuel Pariselle's transcription

YouTubes various

Don Roberts

• Good talker
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 03:03:14 AM »

Please check folktunefinder.com for several dot versions of this melody along with digital samples :||:
C#/D CBA  PA  GBH  SSP CD DVD BVD LS/MFT

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »

Please check folktunefinder.com for several dot versions of this melody along with digital samples :||:

So what is the timing? I've found versions in 6/8 and 9/8, but here's some dots that appear to be from the great man himself in 3/4.

http://www.diatojo.com/tablatures/l-inconnu-de-limoise/jean-francois-maxou-heintzen.html

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »

So what is the timing? I've found versions in 6/8 and 9/8, but here's some dots that appear to be from the great man himself in 3/4.
It's a mazurka, so 3/4. I don't understand the 6/8, but 9/8 is often used to notate the swing (as opposed to straight 8th notes), especially when combined with triplets.

Simon

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »

A lovely tune for a lovely dance. L'Inconnu de Limoise has been on my to do list for a while, so this totm is a good reason to finally start to work on it. Here's my first try (after a bit of practice of course) as mp3: L'Inconnu de Limoise. Played in C on a G/C Serenellini Gold 98. I'll try to figure out how to make a movie later.  ;)

Chris Brimley

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »

DTN, your youtube is great not just for the superb playing, but also the recording quality - it seems to be high definition, and high audio quality, but it also downloads quickly.  How did you record it?

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

Here's my first try
Lovely! played with great feeling.

This months tune will bear a bumper crop.  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:40 PM »

bal traditional - lady in red dress and her partner are good. As ever IMHO, to understand a dance is to understand its music.

Thanks for the clip collection Lester.  Speaking as a dancer I thought Yves Gaubert's had  best speed and phrasing. Simon's mp3 here today also feels very right. When he brings that note forward into bar 4  (about 6s in, and again later), it's quite delicious. Derek's I felt a tad fast for dance, but that left hand is brilliant with not a dum cha cha in sight.

In Easedale's reference Maxou is quoted ..

Now we've had this tale before, but this is source. A rough translation ..
   A few years back a council worker in Limoise working to move burials was surprised to discover one deceased buried with bagpipes next to him. I find it hard to describe the torrent of thought and emotion that this brought into my own little head. This tune was composed deliberately at that time, mainly to engender tears.

So that's sort of where we're headed folks :'(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:46:51 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »

Hmm I can play the melody ok. Im just rather confused about the left hand.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »

I haven't got as far as trying to work out the left hand yet but having spent a fair bit of time on the tune this afternoon I took another look at DTN's video to see what he did and was pleased to see that he does lots of cross rowing on the treble end which is what I was doing. Can't make head nor tail of the basses on the video though, I'll watch out for someone with an eight bass layout!

I spent a while getting the tune and lilt firmly fixed in my head by playing it on concertina first, I'm still pretty slow at reading dots for melodeon.  :-\
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »

A lovely tune for a lovely dance. L'Inconnu de Limoise has been on my to do list for a while, so this totm is a good reason to finally start to work on it. Here's my first try (after a bit of practice of course) as mp3: L'Inconnu de Limoise. Played in C on a G/C Serenellini Gold 98. I'll try to figure out how to make a movie later.  ;)

Thanks Simon - that was really lovely. Inspired me no end. (:)

John

waltzman

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »

Very nice, Simon.  It has just the right tempo and feel for dancing.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »

DTN, your youtube is great not just for the superb playing, but also the recording quality - it seems to be high definition, and high audio quality, but it also downloads quickly.  How did you record it?

I record with a Sony HRV520 Digital Camcorder which has superb quality all round! ... I set it to the lowest resolution (not real HD) to record video wise which is still far too high for You Tube.. but keep the 5.1 surround sound audio recording,

Files once converted to WMV with video effects small amount of reverb added to soundtrack using Sony Vegas Video editing Software, front and end added so in total are around 100 meg .... takes 40 mins to create them and about another 30 mins to upload to Youtube (They are uploaded as 1440 x 720)

Derek

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »

http://www.diatojo.com/tablatures/l-inconnu-de-limoise/jean-francois-maxou-heintzen.html

I've taken the liberty of transposing the original tune from the link into abc to give acurate first and second time endings and indicate the proper dotted rhythm. I've also taken the liberty of changing the B at the end of bars one and five to A which sounds better, is what is shown in the previous abc and what everyone seems to be actually playing. This abc plays back correctly in the Tune-O-Tron and should help beginners like me to get the feel and lilt right. I'm not posting this to tread on anyone's toes!

X:1
T:L'inconnu de Limoise
C:J.F. (Maxou) Heintzen
R:Mazurka
M:3/4
L:1/8
D/ G>A |: B2 -B>G c>A | B2 -B>B c>d | c2 -c>B A>G| D2 -D>D G>A |
B2 -B>G c>A | B2 -B>B c>d | c2 -c>B A>G|1 A2 -A>D G>A :|2 A2 -A>B c>d |
|: e2 g>f e>f | d2 -d>c B>A | G>F G>A B>G | D2 G2 F2 | E2 -E>F  G>A |
G2 F2 E2 |1 F2 -F>E F>G | A2 -A>B c>d :|2 F2 -F>G A>B | G6 ||
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Simon

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »

Can't make head nor tail of the basses on the video though
Here's more or less what I play on G/C (no repeat of the first part):
C/g Am// F// G// C/g Am// F// G//
F// C// Am// E// F// F// G// G//
F// C// Am// E// F// F// G// C//
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:42:00 PM by Simon »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal