- 24 (30.8%)
Wheatley Trunkles
- 4 (5.1%)
Woodland Revels
- 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: October 31, 2009, 07:34:23 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise  (Read 98932 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 07:50:49 PM »

Hmm I can play the melody ok. Im just rather confused about the left hand.

You won't I'm afraid get there by learning the melody first and then trying to fit chords to it. Get this chord riff going on the left first (for D/G)

|: G | Em |Cpull  Dpush |
   G | Em | Cpull | Dpush :|  

|: C*pull | G | Em | Dpush |  *or rock if you stay on G row
   Cpull | Cpull | Dpull | G :|  

You'll find all the melody you need works against this left hand with just the odd bellows rock. We can tart the chords up a bit later but this gets you started. (modified: I like Simon's last line better,  and it's simpler)  (:)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:00:00 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:12 PM »

I was tryin the 9/8 one but is that um pah, um pa or um pa pa or something else?

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »

Ok, had to get a first attempt out of the way before Witney - hopefully a more polished version might appear by the end of the month...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFAtMot687c

I've no idea what you're supposed to do with the basses in 9/8, so I just went with what felt Okish. Already people have been posting lots more things to practise, but any specific suggestions to improve it welcome!  (:)

Chris Brimley

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »

I record with a Sony HRV520 Digital Camcorder which has superb quality all round! ... I set it to the lowest resolution (not real HD) to record video wise which is still far too high for You Tube.. but keep the 5.1 surround sound audio recording,

Files once converted to WMV with video effects small amount of reverb added to soundtrack using Sony Vegas Video editing Software, front and end added so in total are around 100 meg .... takes 40 mins to create them and about another 30 mins to upload to Youtube (They are uploaded as 1440 x 720)

100 meg!  Derek, that certainly explains the incredibly high quality, but I still don't understand why it downloads so quickly - on my computer it starts immediately, and the download takes about 2 minutes, so it's quicker than realtime, and it doesn't ever falter.  Whereas I've found many apparently much lower quality youtube clips take ages to download, and keep stopping to allow the download to catch up.  Is this something to do with the way youtube compresses clips, with you having selected very efficient settings, do you know?

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »

I was tryin the 9/8 one but is that um pah, um pa or um pa pa or something else?
It's more like a 3/4 notated as 9/8, so 'um pa pa' for each bar, with three 8th notes for each um and pa. To turn it from a waltz into a mazurka you could try 'um pa paaaa', with a short 'pa' on the 2nd beat and a longer one on the 3rd.

waltzman

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »

Can't make head nor tail of the basses on the video though
Here's more or less what I play on G/C (no repeat of the first part):
C/g Am// F// G// C/g Am// F// G//
F// C// Am// E// F// F// G// G//
F// C// Am// E// F// F// G// C//

These are the chords I use except I use Em instead of maj.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »

Can't make head nor tail of the basses on the video though
Here's more or less what I play on G/C (no repeat of the first part):
C/g Am// F// G// C/g Am// F// G//
F// C// Am// E// F// F// G// G//
F// C// Am// E// F// F// G// C//

These are the chords I use except I use Em instead of maj.

BLIMEY!... I wish i knew what notes i play! .... I have absolutely no idea what key i'm in or what actual note i'm playing!... or what Chords i put to it! ... for me Its all just what sounds right to me!... am i weird?  ;D :||:
Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

craigus

• Good talker
    • Squashbox Theatre
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »

Hmm I can play the melody ok. Im just rather confused about the left hand.

You won't I'm afraid get there by learning the melody first and then trying to fit chords to it. Get this chord riff going on the left first (for D/G)

|: G | Em |Cpull  Dpush |
   G | Em | Cpull | Dpush :|  

|: C*pull | G | Em | Dpush |  *or rock if you stay on G row
   Cpull | Cpull | Dpull | G :|  

Try a Bm in the second part of the tune instead of the Dpush. It's very nice.
Beltuna Sara 3 D/G, Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G, Hohner Pokerwork C/F, Hohner Club C/F, Hohner one row C, weird Russian thing C.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »

Crumbs, some cool entries already and I'm still scratching my head wondering what to do with this....

....except, of course, for what I already did.  Anyone remember the scary snake?   ;)
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »

BLIMEY!... I wish i knew what notes i play! .... I have absolutely no idea what key i'm in or what actual note i'm playing!... or what Chords i put to it! ... for me Its all just what sounds right to me!... am i weird?  ;D :||:
Derek
[/quote]

No, not weird - I'm just the same (but, then...maybe I'm weird too?!). I think that's one of the good things about playing the melodeon, and folk music...it's largely intuitive. I can't do with anything too cerebral outside of work, so I let all this talk of keys and notes and modes (particularly!) go largely over my head - and just listen to a piece of music instead.  :|||:

Diane

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 10:37:03 PM »

Derek

No, not weird - I'm just the same (but, then...maybe I'm weird too?!). I think that's one of the good things about playing the melodeon, and folk music...it's largely intuitive. I can't do with anything too cerebral outside of work, so I let all this talk of keys and notes and modes (particularly!) go largely over my head - and just listen to a piece of music instead.  :|||:

Diane
[/quote]

More power to your respective elbows. You are both true folk musicians. I only wish that there were more musicians of your ilk attending my various workshops.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »

Crumbs, some cool entries already and I'm still scratching my head wondering what to do with this....

....except, of course, for what I already did.  Anyone remember the scary snake?   ;)

Just Remember the guy died with his bagpipes .... maybe he was bitten by a scary snake too!!

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »

I record with a Sony HRV520 Digital Camcorder which has superb quality all round! ... I set it to the lowest resolution (not real HD) to record video wise which is still far too high for You Tube.. but keep the 5.1 surround sound audio recording,

Files once converted to WMV with video effects small amount of reverb added to soundtrack using Sony Vegas Video editing Software, front and end added so in total are around 100 meg .... takes 40 mins to create them and about another 30 mins to upload to Youtube (They are uploaded as 1440 x 720)

100 meg!  Derek, that certainly explains the incredibly high quality, but I still don't understand why it downloads so quickly - on my computer it starts immediately, and the download takes about 2 minutes, so it's quicker than realtime, and it doesn't ever falter.  Whereas I've found many apparently much lower quality youtube clips take ages to download, and keep stopping to allow the download to catch up.  Is this something to do with the way youtube compresses clips, with you having selected very efficient settings, do you know?

Maybe its because i pre-compress into the latest WMV codec format  that makes it work ... dunno otherwise!"

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 11:26:09 PM »

I was thinking too much about this tune and said to myself....stop !  :Ph play around with the tune as much as you like  but never forget the person who died .......or the bagpipes !! ......so hopefully, with a 'calpol' free week....... ::)

THanks for your kind comments DTN, my ear might need a bit of training for this one  (:) Glad you mentioned about your upsidedown basses, that did throw me.  Loved your arrangement.

Cheers

Sandy
 (:)

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 11:41:40 PM »

Just Remember the guy died with his bagpipes .... maybe he was bitten by a scary snake too!!

An interesting thought indeed..!
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »

I've no idea what you're supposed to do with the basses in 9/8, so I just went with what felt Okish.

Nothing wrong with that, there's a time to stab at the basses and another to make them long and drawn out, goes with the mood of the piece. Long basses are a bit air hungry though!

9/8 is only one option here and the original piece is written in 3/4 but it's a mazurka not a waltz so the rhythm is dotted. If you can look at a straight 4/4 piece and play it as a hornpipe then you can look at a 3/4 waltz and play it as a mazurka (in principle!).

The upshot is that you've got the idea just by listening and that's good enough, time and experience will teach you the rest.

3/4: count in threes: 1,2,3, 1,2,3
6/8: count in twos: Didely Didely, Didely Didely
9/8: count in threes: Didely didely Didely, Didely didely Didely

My problem is knowing what to do (well nearly) whilst battling with an alien instrument! Not that I'm that good at playing anything else.  :(
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:27 AM »

Here's my first version of L'Inconnu, played on my (t)rusty old Hohner Pokerwork in D/G (so the tune itself ends up in G).

Enjoy!

Clive

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 05:59:18 AM »

I found this version. Wot ya fink Sqwak ! Sqwak !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alqt645JLjY&feature=related

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
I don't get 'jigs'

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 06:27:49 AM »

Finding the Bass suggestions very helpful, I envy DNT and Smoiler their intuitive way of playing I hope to achieve something like it in the far and distant future.

It seems that all Bass suggestions are for the inside row (C on a G/C and G on a D/G). What about G on a G/C? Is there a problem with the Basses available?

Louise
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal