- 24 (30.8%)
Wheatley Trunkles
- 4 (5.1%)
Woodland Revels
- 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: October 31, 2009, 07:34:23 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise  (Read 98654 times)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2009, 02:10:17 PM »

Here's a short and sweet effort.  I'm using my dg Saltarelle Nuage in a funny clarinet sounding mode!!
Apologies for taking the Mazurka out of a Mazurka !!  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvoMDPhTghA

Cheers

Sandy
 (:)
Sorry, just realised that I put 'melnet.com' in opening title. :|bl(don't know where I got that from.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:53:41 PM by sandy »

craigus

• Good talker
    • Squashbox Theatre
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »

Here's a short and sweet effort.  I'm using my dg Saltarelle Nuage in a funny clarinet sounding mode!!
Apologies for taking the Mazurka out of a Mazurka !!  ::)

Cheers

Sandy

This is beautiful. I love your bass style - really rythmic and instinctive in unusual ways. Lovely. (:)
Beltuna Sara 3 D/G, Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G, Hohner Pokerwork C/F, Hohner Club C/F, Hohner one row C, weird Russian thing C.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »

Thanks Al - I suspect it'll take a while. Are you going down the B/C/C# route on this? D/G? Or what? I tried it on B/C, but the bass options seemed rather limited. By the way, how did Sunday's session go?

John
Think I'll do it in Eb on the 'El Rey'  ;D
Sunday's Session was great and we're going to try and turn it into a regular event. 1st sunday every month at around 4pm. You must pop over sometime.AL

Ah - the joys of MAD - so many to choose from. Will look forward to hearing your version. I may try to get to one of your sessions - it's just a shame Chesterfield's such a trek.

John

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »

Here's a short and sweet effort.  
Cheers

Sandy

Great interpretation of this tune.
I don't get 'jigs'

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »

I found this version. Wot ya fink Sqwak ! Sqwak !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alqt645JLjY&feature=related

Anyone played or transcribed the third and fourth parts ... round about  00:40 to 01:20 in that recording?
Tony S

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »

Anyone played or transcribed the third and fourth parts ... round about  00:40 to 01:20 in that recording?

I 'murdered' my version out based on this guys playing (without the rapid descending scales bit)
I simply listened to it over and over until the tune drove me mad! ,,, then i work it out and play it my way.... so my version ends up with all kind of modifications from the original as i don't play along with it once its in my head or when i recorded it!  :|||:  DEREK   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UWBfkvkw4
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »

I'd say that was quite dancable, a specially after a hard evening already. You should try Stephane Deliq at 3:00 in the morning! The G maj7 at the end was spot on.

Anyone played or transcribed the third and fourth parts ... round about  00:40 to 01:20 in that recording?

http://www.diatojo.com/tablatures/l-inconnu-de-limoise/images/l-inconnu-de-limoise.gif

Judging from the version here (our main 'official' source) , and what I've heard at Embraud I'd say the C and D music was someone's improvisation (more likely arrangement) which was liked and has become semi-official. And there isn't nothing wrong with it. But I suspect those bits aren't actually Maxou's - anyone know?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:02:08 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »

Here's a short and sweet effort.  I'm using my dg Saltarelle Nuage in a funny clarinet sounding mode!!
Cheers
Sandy

I like that lovely laid back style - Thanks for posting!    Derek

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »

Cheers.   I must confess I didn't listen to all of your recording straight off Youtube, now I've downloaded it so I can listen in real time without all the Youtube pauses and freezes.
Tony S

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »

Here's my go at L'Inconnu.
I actually found this tune easier to learn with the basses in right from the start. You can play the bass pattern and fit the melody around it quite happily by cross-rowing. There's only a couple of points where you have to do quick bellows reversals.
After a couple of goes round I tried to do a bit of improvising around the tune... It sort of works, I think...! Anyway, I'll let you all be the judges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCibzEmJroA

WOW!!! .... Superb what else can i say! thanks!

boblsturm

• Good talker
    • High Noon, GMT
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2009, 10:52:51 PM »

Here is my first contribution to this November edition of TOTM, in C on a G/C Hohner Merlin II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N750OCqRNwY

On the video I went for the ghost effect and some photos from our neighborhood cemetery taken this summer.

Now I plan on working the tune out on the "dusty end" of my melodeon, not to mention making my playing more crisp, and keeping a steady freaking tempo!
Bob L. Sturm, Associate Professor, and student of the melodeon

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2009, 12:55:11 AM »

Judging from the version here (our main 'official' source) , and what I've heard at Embraud I'd say the C and D music was someone's improvisation (more likely arrangement) which was liked and has become semi-official. And there isn't nothing wrong with it. But I suspect those bits aren't actually Maxou's - anyone know?

Maxou's tune is originally a 2xA; 2xB tune - no C or D part. Maxou sent me the music on Sunday when I asked him if he would mind us playing his tune and sharing it on youtube (he's happy for us to do so, and is rather proud of winning the vote) - he hasn't explicitly said I could post the music score on this somewhat public forum however, so I've decided to hold back on that unless I get his official say-so. The versions being played here, extra C and D music apart, are pretty close to his original though.

Regards,

Clive

stevejay

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2009, 01:21:05 AM »

Actually it sounds Cajun . Attitude counts for a lot.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:44:51 AM by stevejay »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2009, 06:49:04 AM »

Maxou's tune is originally a 2xA; 2xB tune - no C or D part. Maxou sent me the music on Sunday when I asked him if he would mind us playing his tune and sharing it on youtube (he's happy for us to do so, and is rather proud of winning the vote) - he hasn't explicitly said I could post the music score on this somewhat public forum
I'd say Maxou has already explicitly put the tune in the public domain, (as well as implicitly in what you say above).  See my last post or Easedale's initial one for the URL. It says at the bottom  "Avec l'aimable autorisation de JF (Maxou) Heintzen"

Some background
Maxou's a leading member of the group/organisation who only recently got a website at http://www.lachavannee.com/ - still the site navigation doesn't work in either of my browsers but I'd encourage anyone trying this tune to have a look. They also have a myspace pageEmbraud high on the rightmission: "" - research and expression of country life - as well as performance. eg when I last met Maxou in '03 he was finishing and academic thesis on development of folk music in the 19th century.

Chav's focus is quite strictly on Bourbonnais (around Bourges/Nevers). Their music is very pure and full of harmony - and solidly founded on dance. I'd say the current stuff on their myspace feels more relaxed but they stay close to tradition. In the early 90's only a few of them (eg the Paris's) sang - again that has gone from strength to strength. The central group lineup is listed below from the website. But you are as likely to see Giles Chabanat, Philippe Plard or any of the Bourbonnais bagpipe makers playing on the stage at a festival - they are fantastically welcoming, and IMHO a paradigm of how to run a folk organisation.  

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:30:06 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »

Thanks for kind comments on my LIDL version. I must say that I probably wouldn't opt to always play it like that but I enjoyed playing around with the basses and rhythm. Really enjoy the tune and want to do more but think I need to concentrate on becoming familiar with all the Witney tunes (of which I know none.)

Again, really enjoying listening to all the versions posted and looking forward to the ones coming.

I find that the intro to the tune  reminds me of Margaret's Waltz, Michael Turners and Mrs Saggs.  I don't know 'that' many tunes so is this a traditional starting bar for some reason or is that just typical folk style?

Chris, thanks for the info on La Chavanee, really interesting.

Cheers

Sandy

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »

I find that the intro to the tune  reminds me of Margaret's Waltz, Michael Turners and Mrs Saggs. 

Me too, Michael Turners that is!. I wondered why I had it in my head this morning and it must be becuase I was trying to do the TOTM yesterday evening  ::)

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »

Here's my go at L'Inconnu.

<snip>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCibzEmJroA

That was lovely - really gives us something to aim for.

Thanks

stevejay

« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »

I got it this morning, it was pretty easy, since it's a lament so I think simple is ok. The chords don't need to be fancy.

I'll post sometime soon.

Nice pick from the group, I'm glad to have been aquainted with this song now.

Sebastian

« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2009, 06:36:24 PM »

Thanks for all the nice interpretions.  :D

I tried to incorporate some ideas and had a second go, this time on a Hohner Preciosa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuIhxQHSxDQ
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal