- 24 (30.8%)
Wheatley Trunkles
- 4 (5.1%)
Woodland Revels
- 3 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: October 31, 2009, 07:34:23 PM

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise  (Read 98649 times)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2009 - L'Inconnu de Limoise
« Reply #260 on: November 20, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »

Wow, such advanced talk here for a beginner like me (a scripture from the Bible comes up - Don't throw pearls to the swines, hahaha ;D)!! I'm afraid I don't have the skills yet to do any lydian modes or other fancy stuff... just a very basic version but with chords that don't sound too bad. There is a lot of bellows motion in the B part, and there the bass work will be weird (or best just left out, maybe). I'll see what I can do however, and thanks JB for your encouragement to just do what works best... which may be some fun stuff with the organetto:)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #261 on: November 20, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »

Ok, let's put it like this. I don't know where the F# is (even if that should be easy to find out, since I know where the G is). I know where very few notes are, and the rest I find by counting buttons and notes in the scale when I need to know... this is how basic I am!!!! I play mainly by ear. I play other instruments by reading music as well as by ear (mandolin, fiddle) but I've never taken time to learn that with the box, mainly because whereever I go, they teach tunes by ear anyway.

However, it doesn't sound too hard when you explain it like that... I'll try to be innovative. I have a whole evening tonight without my hubby and it will be fully dedicated to the squeezebox  :|||: :|||: :|||:. I've promised myself that the moment that he goes out the door, my studies will be put down and the box will be pulled out:)

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
« Reply #262 on: November 20, 2009, 03:13:38 PM »

I'm blushing now. But I should say that after years of playing duet concertina, it's great fun to try to get as much as music as I can from a one-row. I think also that this is more fun with an instrument with the subdominant in the left hand!

There are a variety of things to find, including rhythm in the bellows (this is something I think one hears often in traditional box and fiddle players and should be brought back), right-hand harmonies, dividing up long notes for the sake of phrasing into shorter ones that may be played staccato or legato, relieving a long note by momentarily slipping in the next note up on the scale, and the old fiddle-player's trick of preceding a long note by momentarily slipping in the note below it in the scale.

I've also found that playing in parallel octaves can help get around the problem of missing notes at the bottom end of the range. By slipping into the octave playing, I've found that with a bit of practice I can re-site the range of a tune in order to find a missing note and then switch back. I'm not sure you could call it sleight of hand, but it can go by almost un-noticed, as in my version of LIDL. It works with The French Assembly too, if anyone's moved to give it a go.

It's not my invention, as I remember my old pal John Gasson doing it, but it is worth thinking about as an alternative to playing a tune entirely in the upper range, which can be a bit squeaky.

Gav
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:47:06 PM by gmatkin »

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #263 on: November 20, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »

Ok, let's put it like this. I don't know where the F# is
Actually I don't think I do either - at least in the sense of being able to point to the correct button. I learn tunes by mostly feeling my way around. The more experienced they get, the more my fingers know where to go without being told. But my eyes and even my brain wouldn't have much of a clue.

Same here, at the beginning of each set at a gig faint squeakings will come through the PA as I find the right note to start on :P Once I've found it then I'm fine as I know where all the notes are in relation to one another.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2009, 02:57:30 AM »

Why is everyone with a G/C box playing the tune in the key of C? Why not the key of G?

Well, I read Susi's post, and so I sat down with my G/C Pokerwork to try out the tune on the G row. And having watched boblsturm's dramatic presentation, I was inspired to waste a perfectly good cold rainy day making a video, and finally learning how to use my 6 year old movie making software. Played it a bit slow and thoughtfully this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJn53gK3Pxo

This TotM thing is certainly inspiring! Thanks to all for the offerings and keep 'em coming!............................................... ;D :||: ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:56:19 PM by j.w.forrest »

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »

My version, warts and all, is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWsqzzp1Mxo

Steve from Wakefield

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »

Think I might have told you this before. :|bl  Ain't called fidjit for nuffink !

Found our tune on this site

Just press the midi button to listen

http://www.diatojo.com/tablatures/mazurkas.php

The site is good for other tunes too!

Cheers :|glug

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #267 on: November 21, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »

Ooh, nice, always good with new tab sites!!!
Will check those newest vids tomorrow!

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2009, 08:18:37 PM »

Well, here's my attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQfC_qpJU7Y

Be kind, I've only been playing for 8 weeks so this was a bit of a challenge but TOTM inspired me to have a go.
Think I need to sort out a better mike tho', sounds very harsh doesn't it.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #269 on: November 22, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »

Well, here's my attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQfC_qpJU7Y

Think I need to sort out a better mike tho', sounds very harsh doesn't it.

Lovely - well done! I don't think the mic sounds too bad...not that much distortion. I've heard worse in other vids. If it's only a small condenser mic then, according to my friend who knows about such things, they are only really meant for voice recording, and are not designed to cope with the amount of air movement produced by a melodeon (particularly a Lilly!). When I used to record my Lilly into the computer using one of those stick-mics, I had to go right out into the hall from where the computer was at the far end of the dining room - at least 5 metres away - so distortion wasn't a problem! My camera mic has coped rather better.

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #270 on: November 22, 2009, 09:16:44 PM »

Nice one, and good to hear with the guitar.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #271 on: November 22, 2009, 11:38:19 PM »

I echo the youtube query is that you playing guitar too? Notwithstanding it's a very fine effort indeed after only eight weeks. Well done indeed.  :||:
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #272 on: November 23, 2009, 05:12:20 AM »

My version, warts and all, is here:

Warts? This is a cool version - I like it  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #273 on: November 23, 2009, 05:15:20 AM »

Well, here's my attempt.

Delightful! This sounds quite moody and atmospheric actually - love the guitar with it.
I don't get 'jigs'

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #274 on: November 23, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »

I echo the youtube query is that you playing guitar too? Notwithstanding it's a very fine effort indeed after only eight weeks. Well done indeed.  :||:

Yes, it is me playing the guitar. Playing it was the easy part - aligning the two videos in my software to play simultaneously was the real challenge.

Thanks for the kind comments - I will keep practising, practising, practising...

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2009, 08:43:56 AM »

Delicious stuff, and surely one of the more poignant intepretations. Taking it as a modal G melody, with not even a pull D chord used on the right hand.  I particularly loved Easedale's use of different sus chords to catch and hold the moment,  before continuing into the next phrase.  Tension and relaxation. Quite yummy!  Chris

Maxou
  _       _    _      _ 

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »

Easedale - GREAT job for only 8 weeks playing!!!!! And your box is sooo beautiful, I love blondie instruments!
Everyone is doing such a good job!!! I can play it at least without too many interruptions now, but with some weird things in the B part because of that 5th button and the chord layout.
It's another story when I try to record - then I mess up the whole thing. I'll see if I can come up with anything this week....

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »

Yes, it is me playing the guitar. Playing it was the easy part - aligning the two videos in my software to play simultaneously was the real challenge.

Thanks for the kind comments - I will keep practising, practising, practising...

Wow!... well done

double tracking!!... thats given me a great idea.
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »

Ok, here comes a VERY humble attempt, my very first squeezebox recording.... after many tries on the G/C box I decided to do some simple thing on the organetto. I do some errors but decided to just go ahead and post it anyway, as it will take too long time to do it without errors.
Please be nice, I'm very much a beginner. VERY beginner. ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jok-SuBudP0
 :-[

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »

Ok, here comes a VERY humble attempt, my very first squeezebox recording.... after many tries on the G/C box I decided to do some simple thing on the organetto. I do some errors but decided to just go ahead and post it anyway, as it will take too long time to do it without errors.
Please be nice, I'm very much a beginner. VERY beginner. ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jok-SuBudP0
 :-[

I like the first box...very cool. :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal