Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Built-in ABC viewer  (Read 8808 times)

Gandy

• Respected Sage
Built-in ABC viewer
« on: October 26, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »

Hi,

Probably pie in the sky, but it would be brilliant if the forum could render ABC itself, so that a contributor could paste in a string of ABC and the viewers would see the music.  Even with severe limitations it would be useful to post snippets to illustrate points, like on the recent discussions about Pedal Notes or Pauses.
Tony S

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Built-in ABC viewer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »

Hi,

Probably pie in the sky, but it would be brilliant if the forum could render ABC itself, so that a contributor could paste in a string of ABC and the viewers would see the music.  Even with severe limitations it would be useful to post snippets to illustrate points, like on the recent discussions about Pedal Notes or Pauses.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs and it is not as good a solution as yours but the Concertina.net ABC Convert-a-matic does what you want

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:22:57 PM »

Convert-o-matic is all very well, but a plugin would be awesome. It would take a fair bit of dev work though I would think.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »

While we wait for a plugin, the concertina.net viewer is great, but this one is newer and I think better (even easier to use and more versatile): http://music.gordfisch.net/oregans/miscellaneous/editor.php

Paste in a tune and press Update.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »

While we wait for a plugin, the concertina.net viewer is great, but this one is newer and I think better (even easier to use and more versatile): http://music.gordfisch.net/oregans/miscellaneous/editor.php

Cracking site, 100% agree better than the tune-a-tron. Thank you.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »

Cracking site, 100% agree better than the tune-a-tron. Thank you.
I agree. Very impressive!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

lildogturpy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:06:39 AM »

Thanks for the complements on the ABC editor. I've had a newer version in the works for a while but haven't had chance to get all the bugs out. Hopefully before Christmas. Let me know what you think.

http://music.gordfisch.net/test/editor.html

lildogturpy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:01:40 AM »

Having thought about it for two minutes I think it would be tough to write a plug in. All the abc rendering tools I've found on the web rely on the abc2pm/ps2pdf/abc2midi unix software buried deep beneath the server. Having a plug in that would render abc into a sheet music graphic would require a reimplementation of that software in another form (java?) which is far beyond my abilities. I believe fivelineskink was a java based abc editor, maybe the code is out there somewhere.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:35 AM »

Thanks for the complements on the ABC editor. I've had a newer version in the works for a while but haven't had chance to get all the bugs out. Hopefully before Christmas. Let me know what you think.

http://music.gordfisch.net/test/editor.html

Umm....
This test version doesn't work for me, whereas the previous one did fine. I can paste the abc into the editing window, but clicking 'update' or the option to convert to png, pdf or midi just results in a new blank editing window.
(using both Safari 4.0.3 or Firefox 3.5.3 on Mac OS 10.4.11)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:11:17 AM »

Quote from: Steve_freereeder link=topic=2785.msg31965#msg31965
This test version doesn't work for me, whereas the previous one did fine. I can paste the abc into the editing window, but clicking 'update' or the option to convert to png, pdf or midi just results in a new blank editing window. (using both Safari 4.0.3 or Firefox 3.5.3 on Mac OS 10.4.11)

Yet again Steve beats me to it.  ;)

I used Firefox 3.5.3 on a decent PC running vista and all was fine. The editor didn't field deliberate ABC errors (should it)? Your javascript delayedUpdate() function is neat. And why not -with zillions of spare cycles unused on my kit.

That 'assistant' brilliant! Then it made me .pfd and .png output. The midi (I tested Rosza) was smoother than another version on this thread. Be encouraged.

BTW your 'unknown bouree' in the library is a bagpipe piece "La Charge" by Manu Paris (Fred's brother). Should be in Dm at it comes from Bourbonais pipes. La charge was described by a lady of my acquaintance as a 'womb wobbler' :o  Nice example of less notes having more power than more!

Ref X:7 T:Unknown Bouree M:2/4 L:1/8 R:bourree K:G

The other one is well know -  Couldn't identify it at leSession or on youtube

ref X:6 T:Unknown Bouree M:2/4 L:1/8 R:bourree  K:G

Another one  Bouree Tournant{e} is 'Grandes Poteries'  It is danced back to front (see clip) and has a strong tradition. The musicians stop. The dancers carry on once through 'dancing to their feet'. Musicians then have to come in exactly on the beat ... for one last time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doM-1rP5Fpo
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:52:31 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:22:22 AM »

Quote from: Steve_freereeder link=topic=2785.msg31965#msg31965
This test version doesn't work for me, whereas the previous one did fine. I can paste the abc into the editing window, but clicking 'update' or the option to convert to png, pdf or midi just results in a new blank editing window. (using both Safari 4.0.3 or Firefox 3.5.3 on Mac OS 10.4.11)

Yet again Steve beats me to it.  ;)
You should get up earlier then. ;D

Just to clarify my earlier report:
Using the new version, it works fine for the collection of tunes already loaded.
But when I try to paste in a new abc tune into the edit window, it fails to wok, as described in my previous post.

The old version worked fine when pasting a new abc file in to the editor.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »

Having thought about it for two minutes I think it would be tough to write a plug in. All the abc rendering tools I've found on the web rely on the abc2pm/ps2pdf/abc2midi unix software buried deep beneath the server. Having a plug in that would render abc into a sheet music graphic would require a reimplementation of that software in another form (java?) which is far beyond my abilities. I believe fivelineskink was a java based abc editor, maybe the code is out there somewhere.
I looked at this yesterday, and found a long discussion on a trombone forum, I think it was http://tromboneforum.org. Can't find it today, of course. There is an ABC viewer available for the Mediawiki wiki software we had on here until recently, which I tested, and it worked fine. However it replaces the ABC with an image of the dots. Ideally a viewer should show both, as some users will want to copy the ABC, and some will want the dots. It works, as you say, by using abc2ps etc installed on the server. A similar viewer could be built for SMF forum software, but nobody's done it yet, AFAIK.

PS: Found it: http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,41209.0.html
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

lildogturpy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 12:17:58 PM »

Thanks for the feedback on the new editor. I'm surprised it didn't work for you Steve since I'm doing everything with Safari (4.0) on a Mac (10.6.1). Usually it falls down with Internet Explorer on a PC. Since the new version is all java, and I'm new to that, there are probably all kinds of java version compatibility issues with which I am unaware. That's what I get for just being a tinkerer.

Glad you think the 'assistant' is cool too. I had fun with that idea, but now I never use it - it's much faster to type in the abc :-)

I also couldn't resist putting an 'edit' link for tunes already on the site. You don't replace the tune on the site, but you can modify it and print it without starting from scratch.

The new editor is using Ajax to update the tune. That's what google use to update maps when you zoom in and out. Java is getting the new tune in the background while you can still work with the page. That means it's not your computer doing the work - but the server.

Thanks for the info on the tunes too. The bourrees just arrived on a CD recording of a dance session at Ockbrook, in the UK. I had no one to ask about the titles.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »

I've just installed latest Sun java - if that helps.  Brilliant stuff I have to say.  I thought it did a lot with limited scripting! Will it be public domain, or at least available to sites like this?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:12:07 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

lildogturpy

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 04:12:29 AM »

I wrote the web abc editor more for my own amusement than anything. I hope its useful for others and I have no problem giving all the code out to anyone who wants it. Right now it's all mixed in with the Montreal Session website code but it should be easy to pull it all together in one place.

I just had another look at 5 line skink and version 2 is almost ready and it looks really well done. If you need a stand alone editor, that might be the way to go.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 06:13:02 AM »

Thanks for the feedback on the new editor. I'm surprised it didn't work for you Steve since I'm doing everything with Safari (4.0) on a Mac (10.6.1). Usually it falls down with Internet Explorer on a PC. Since the new version is all java, and I'm new to that, there are probably all kinds of java version compatibility issues with which I am unaware. That's what I get for just being a tinkerer.
I'm also surprised it doesn't work, given the configuration which you set it up with. Perhaps as you say, it is a java compatibility issue, seeing as I am using an older version of the Mac OS (10.4.11).

But it's not really a problem for me as I would normally use Barfly for all my abc editing, display, printing, sound conversions, etc.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

lildogturpy

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »

I just put up a new and improved version of the ABC editor on the montreal session website. Please let me know what you think

http://montrealsession.dnsalias.net/newmst/editor.php

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »

Wow - that's pretty neat! :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal