Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: facebook...fan page?  (Read 21535 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: facebook...fan page?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »

Let's hear from those who think it would be cool, or whatever.  8)

Yes, I think it would be cool   ;D

Can't see any harm in it, but I do think that given the relatively closed user base of Facebook I doubt it would attract many people who are not already members. Google does a better job of that I suspect...

PS: let's not turn this thread into a 'I love facebook; I don't' thread  :D

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 05:48:49 PM »

I don't think it's necessarily a question of being scared. In my case, I prefer to avoid it, because I know that it is a commercial undertaking, and the product being traded is... you, the members.
uncommercial.

Of course, its huge development over the last few years mean that its hardly a small student endeavour any longer.  However, it seems completely wrong to look at it as a young-person's toy either.  My own friend list includes at least one active octagenarian - I don't think this is particularly unusual now.  What's more, it's increasingly something that many people expect, by default, that we use it now.  Personally, I partake in several activities where Facebook is now the primary source of communication - and it's certainly very effective in that role.  It's now got to the point where, if I were to choose not to use it, then I'd be effectively isolating myself from particular communities, events or interests.  As such, to hear people clinging on to spurious reasons why they still choose to ignore it is now starting to sound almost comical, in a flat-earth-society sort of way.

I've heard some people comment that they only ever see trivial rubbish when using the system.  This, for them, may be true, but is that really the Facebook's problem, or is it more a reflection of the people that they have chosen to interact with?  Whilst I'd certainly admit, too, to have 'befriended' people that have delivered little, it's also the case that by accepting a few unexpected friend requests, I've been exposed to fascinating content and ideas that I could never have previously imagined existed.  Maybe this is un-representative - I'd be first to admit that my own interests and contacts are probably a bit on the unusual side.  However, I'm certainly not complaining about how things have turned out in this respect - quite the opposite.  For me, it's proven to be unexpectedly great.

Oh, as for the fan page thing - yeah, why not?  I somehow doubt that it would turn out to be anything much more than a placeholder, site description and website link.  But what's so bad about that?
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 07:24:48 PM »

Guy

First, I really don't much mind whether Sarah creates a Facebook fan page, although I don't see the need for one. I'm sorry now I replied to her original request and don't want to pursue the issue of whether or not there should be a fan page. And although Clive asked us not to get into debating Facebook here, I can't let your post go unanswered.

I really don't appreciate implications that I am scared or akin to a flat earth society member, or that my reasons (without having heard them) for not wanting to be involved in Facebook are "spurious" or "comical".

Honestly, if you think Facebook is the same kind of thing as the postal system or the telephone system, I think you ought to think again.

You pay to post a letter, and you pay to make a phone call. End of story. The post office and the telephone companies don't keep a record of all your communications (even if your big bro. govt. in surveillance society Britain would like them to).

You don't pay for using Facebook, and yet somebody is making money out of it, or at least putting money into it in hopes of making money - colossal amounts of money. They are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.  (I certainly don't buy the fact that it originated on campus as being any guarantee of philanthropy.)

Growing up in the UK, I always assumed that the purpose of television companies was to make good programming. I haven't actually watched television for more than a few hours a year in the past 30 years, but on a trip to the United States a few years ago the scales fell from my eyes: the aim of the television companies is not actually to make good programs, but merely to make sure that you, the viewer, tune in and don't change channels. And they will do anything they can to stop you changing channels.  Because if they know you are watching their channel, they can sell you to the advertisers.  You are in fact the product, the commodity, being bought and sold.

If you agree to be part of this transaction, then of course you won't mind watching television. Similarly, if you don't mind the fact that Facebook and co. are tracking everything you do and everyone you are in contact with for commercial purposes, then you won't mind using it. For my part I do mind, and I resist the idea that all social activities must end up on social networks like FB. If that means my being excluded now and again (not referring to the present issue here), that's fine.

Cheers
Steve

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »

I'm in :P My experience with such pages is that very little activity takes place on them but more people do get drawn into the forum because of them.

And Steve, fora always need more traffic. Fact of their existence.

My view too,  it may spread the word and does not require any participation in FB by members here.  I have no objection if you want to set it up Sarah.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 10:55:25 PM »

Sorry, but can't quite leave this hanging either...

I really don't appreciate implications that I am scared or akin to a flat earth society member, or that my reasons (without having heard them) for not wanting to be involved in Facebook are "spurious" or "comical".

My own comments were based comments from more than one person, not necessarily just members here.  Nevertheless, whilst I understand you might not like such observations, regular users are always going to feel bemused when hearing flawed critisicm from non-users.

Honestly, if you think Facebook is the same kind of thing as the postal system or the telephone system, I think you ought to think again.

I use Facebook for communicating with other people, sometimes in real time, sometimes not.  That's exactly what phones and mail are for.  Sorry, but I don't understand how you can even question this - it's exactly the sort of comment that re-affirms my reply above.

You pay to post a letter, and you pay to make a phone call. End of story. The post office and the telephone companies don't keep a record of all your communications (even if your big bro. govt. in surveillance society Britain would like them to).

Hmm - I've heard very different things about telephone surveilance in the UK.  E-mail, too.  A quick search reveals - http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2009/feb/06/lords-report-surveillance-britain.

You don't pay for using Facebook, and yet somebody is making money out of it, or at least putting money into it in hopes of making money - colossal amounts of money. They are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.  (I certainly don't buy the fact that it originated on campus as being any guarantee of philanthropy.)

You don't pay by cash - you expose yourself to advertising.  It's payment of a different kind, but no less valuable to those involved.  No mystery there, that's just how much of the internet is funded.

If you agree to be part of this transaction, then of course you won't mind watching television. Similarly, if you don't mind the fact that Facebook and co. are tracking everything you do and everyone you are in contact with for commercial purposes, then you won't mind using it. For my part I do mind, and I resist the idea that all social activities must end up on social networks like FB. If that means my being excluded now and again (not referring to the present issue here), that's fine.

Yes, we're all tracked in a multitude of ways.  It's not necessarily a nice feeling, even if we do know that at least some of it is done for our own benefit.  I have a work colleague who studies personal privacy issues at great length and who might be described as an activist.  His knowledge about the ID card situation, in particular, is extensive - needless to say, he's not exactly a fan of it!  Anyhow, even he, who spends so much time investigating such things, is more than happy to use Facebook.  This might not mean much to you, but to me it says a lot.  If he's happy with it, so am I.

Sorry for getting agitated about all this, but it irks me to see how Sarah was originally treated when she was just trying to do something to promote this community.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:09:55 PM by GbH »
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 12:16:56 AM »

Sarah, go for it! Or create a 'We love Mel.net' Facebook group. They will thrive or perish depending upon how people use them.

Facebook - No 2 visited website in the UK, after Google. No1 for time spent on site.
21M users in UK, 27% age 25-35, 26% age 35-55, 6% >55 (source http://www.checkfacebook.com/)
More people now use social media sites such as Facebook for personal communication than email.

Lots of melodeon players are unaware of this forum, which is why there are 120 going to Witney but the 'forum roll call' is far far less.
Look at Facebook as another way of spreading the word about this treasure, particularly via forum members who are already on Facebook.
If I join a Group or become a Fan of something on Facebook, all my Facebook friends are told about it - that's how it works.
As a result, some will take a look, some might even join, but more know about it and might tell others.

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 12:31:11 AM »

yes im up for that ;D
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 12:34:05 AM »

Facebook - No 2 visited website in the UK, after Google. No1 for time spent on site.

Really? That is scary. I use fb a fair bit, because that is how social lives are now organised, but I don't think I've ever spent more than about 10 minutes on there at any one time :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »

Let's hear from those who think it would be cool, or whatever.  8)

Yes, I think it would be cool   ;D

Can't see any harm in it, but I do think that given the relatively closed user base of Facebook I doubt it would attract many people who are not already members. Google does a better job of that I suspect...

PS: let's not turn this thread into a 'I love facebook; I don't' thread  :D
I'm in :P My experience with such pages is that very little activity takes place on them but more people do get drawn into the forum because of them.

And Steve, fora always need more traffic. Fact of their existence.

My view too,  it may spread the word and does not require any participation in FB by members here.  I have no objection if you want to set it up Sarah.

Thanks both of you for your approval. :)

Sarah, go for it! Or create a 'We love Mel.net' Facebook group. They will thrive or perish depending upon how people use them.

Lots of melodeon players are unaware of this forum, which is why there are 120 going to Witney but the 'forum roll call' is far far less.
Look at Facebook as another way of spreading the word about this treasure, particularly via forum members who are already on Facebook.
If I join a Group or become a Fan of something on Facebook, all my Facebook friends are told about it - that's how it works.
As a result, some will take a look, some might even join, but more know about it and might tell others.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »

I did in fact start a group on Facebook a little while ago -- "I wish I was playing melodeon right now". I think I was probably at work at the time (before they blocked FB...)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »

I did in fact start a group on Facebook a little while ago -- "I wish I was playing melodeon right now". I think I was probably at work at the time (before they blocked FB...)
Just joined it....and added some pics :)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »

I'm a member of that one I think :)

And have now joined the fan page.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »

Hardly use facebook, but I'm a fan  :||:
Black Shand Morino

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 09:52:16 PM »

Joined - Fan No 18.

Nice work LDT  (:)
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »

and me no.19
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

tiny

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »

and me 20
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »

me 21 I think (or is that simply wishful thinking?)
AL

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »

Number 27  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

stevejay

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

It's a fine idea...

I'm a bit jaded by facebook because I mostly see young teenagers spending hours uploading pictures of themselves and searching for the girls/boys in their classes. I view/viewed it as a bit adolescent but not a bad thing.

I should open my mind to facebook a bit more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal