10-15 hours
- 10 (20%)
15-25 hours
- 1 (2%)
30 hours or more
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practice Time  (Read 6943 times)

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
Re: Practice Time
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »

I am in the 1-5 hour bracket.  Approx. 20 min once or twice most evenings (depending if its been a hard day at work (full-time) or not) and approx. 2-3 sessions of 20 mins. Sat. and Sun.  I stop either if I start aching or tunes start going totally wrong.  Can't really afford much more time I have a family and house to look after.  Our old cat (16.5 years old) doesn't mind the melodeon, the younger cat that adopted us runs out of the room at the site of it (my playing is THAT bad, well not to my ears).

Wendy

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »

Depends what I'm cooking at the weekend, as the time between preparation and eating is often my private "beer and melodeon" session.
A roast supports far more practice time than a pasta dish or the dreaded 'no-practice' stir-fry.

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 12:50:07 AM »

Sally seldom arrives home before 8pm (after leaving well before me in the morning) so I can feed the cat, run the vac around a bit, cook the tea and still find time to play for at least an hour in the evening. Sad thing is I spent most of this evenings session playing just 16 bars over and over at a very pedestrian speed trying to iron our the bits I always get stuck on.  ::)

That was on concertina though so my post is probably off topic ...

I find repetitive playing quite therapeutic, I can attain an almost trance like state playing scales and rhythmic patterns or simply repeating the same passage over and over. I agree with previous posts concerning problem tunes, passages and exercises, leave them alone for a week or two and then pick them up again, you'll be surprised at the progress you make by simply doing nothing!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 03:15:22 AM »

45 minutes to an hour every night after the kids are in bed. I am very much a creature of habit and also of DUTY so the tunes that have difficult bits must be hacked at before I am allowed to move on to new tunes.
works for me
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en RĂ©

HallelujahAl

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 07:53:35 AM »

I work a lot from home - and my office is shared with my instruments - so I take a break every couple of hours and play for 15/20 mins. In fact I find a 20 minute workout much better than trying to maintain hours of practice.
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »

I find it annoying that when I'm 'in the groove' I get told to stop playing over the TV, or to be quiet.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 08:18:18 PM »

I find it annoying that when I'm 'in the groove' I get told to stop playing over the TV, or to be quiet.

Streb!  >:E

How about one of these with a pair of headphones on?  :||:  :|||:
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 10:53:02 PM »

I seem to do most of my real practising in my head, working out fingering etc. It's a habit I started on the fiddle and found very helpful when real practice is not possible. The other week my precious and I went to see Cliff and The Shadows and during one exiting bit she thought I was gently tickling her arm, when I thought I was working out a particularly awkward part of Apache!  :Ph :|bl

Chris-the-untrustworthy

PS There was only one squeezebox in the whole show and that was a PA!

C.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 01:37:24 AM »

I seem to do most of my real practising in my head, working out fingering etc. It's a habit I started on the fiddle and found very helpful when real practice is not possible. The other week my precious and I went to see Cliff and The Shadows and during one exiting bit she thought I was gently tickling her arm, when I thought I was working out a particularly awkward part of Apache!  :Ph :|bl

Chris-the-untrustworthy

PS There was only one squeezebox in the whole show and that was a PA!

C.

I do this all the time. I was unconsciously air melodeoning along to something when it changed key into F. I seamlessly and unconsciously started playing clarinet fingering instead, to the amusement of all :P

The advantage to this is that you can do it on the way to the shops ;)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 08:20:33 AM »

I work long hours in the clinic, am writing a book, run a massage school, do three sessions of weight training a week, meditate 1 hour a day, sing in a local choir, have a wife, elderly dog and allotment to relate to, try to play the guitar sometimes.......

But somehow I get 30 mins on the box about 5 times a week.

Less can be more.  It all depends what you do with the practice time.
Nick

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »

Streb!  >:E

if only I had the money ;)

stevejay

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »

Setting small objectives , like learning part "A" of a tune for 20 minutes with good fingering. I feel good to accomplish this 1 thing. If I jump all over, nothing is accomplished. Works for me ok.

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »

In my short period of learning, short periods work best (as others have previously mentioned) - at most half an hour at at time and then let it sink in for at least another half hour (thinking of something else) but mostly for me it's the next day before my brain has absorbed the patterns. If you have a longer harder session of learning then a longer period of laying off IMO helps - a day or two (TOTM experience). I find I learn the patterns better when I'm tired, later at night and playing quietly (and slowly) just before bed.

I probably need to get a life and not let the DBA take over (fortunately no neighbours to complain, if I time their shift patterns correctly - I've yet to find out how antimelodeon they may be if they have nightmares that include Speed the Plough!)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:40:44 PM by NeilA »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal