Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bandwidth problem  (Read 8773 times)

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
Bandwidth problem
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »

I don't know how these things are done, but who does pay for this forum? It doesn't seem very fair if Theo is forking out of his own pocket for our benefit. I hadn't really though of this before as I am a bit selfish, should we all chuck in a few quid now and again?
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Bandwidth problem
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »

Many people have donated, usually after selling an instrument through the 'buy & sell' forum so its not coming out of my own pocket.  Thanks for the thought though.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tiny

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »

I must say I have not given this any thought either, I afraid to say it never crossed my mind.  I very much enjoy this forum and would be willing to contribute if necessary.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »

What with people creating links here on facebook the number of readers and users and therefore bandwidth draw will ever increase. I've already offered a donation privately, but then saw this thread. The 509 'Bandwidth Limit Exceeded' http error some of us got this evening is a shot across the forum's bows.

[edit] Trimmed back - see my more formal post below. What do people think?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:43:21 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:55:18 AM »

Hi.
Re donations,maybe I'me a bit thick,I asked Theo how to send money after sale of instrument buy I can't work out which e.mail adress to send paypal payment to.
If this was to be made very clear then I suspect more cash could be donated.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:42:22 AM »

Hi. Re donations,maybe I'me a bit thick,I asked Theo how to send money after sale of instrument buy I can't work out which e.mail adress to send paypal payment to.If this was to be made very clear then I suspect more cash could be donated.

I too find Theo over reticent about cash support (sorry, mate).  This forum seems to be his baby, but it has now grown like Topsy, and like my own daugthers has become expensive. Server breakdowns for lack of funds aren't in anyone's interest. But nor is running the thing on a shoe string.  We've now demonstrated a need to probably double capacity. That'll cost. 

Theo - I'd wishlist a permanent page somewhere .. and all implicit in that. These numbers are complete guesses.

Melodeons.net would seem to fit the Charities Act acceptable purpose under  "The advancement of the arts, culture, heritage or science". Registration as a charity would allow claim back of VAT and 20% tax on covenanted subscriptions. If it were part of eg "UK melodeon trust" I think it would go through easily. Colin Cater is involved in the East Anglia Trust - I'll try to tap his experience at Witney.

But it's all admin and that might be a bugbear. If Theo just wants to run the website could perhaps some of the mods act as trustees. I suspect there's paperwork involved, and accounts.  But trustees could simply keep these as a thread on the website.

Anyway - something to discuss?  I'm willing to put money (and time) where my mouth has led me.  This forum is worth it.  :Ph

_       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »

I am Treasurer for a music charity (The Sheffield Chamber Orchestra: www.sheffield-chamber-orchestra.org.uk
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:17:39 AM »

I know the old Timelord (Doctor Who forum I now Mod/Admin) had a 'donate' button open to full members. Where you could donate anything from a few pence to a substantial amount towards the forums upkeep. That might be an idea.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »

If one was thinking of setting up a charitable organisation or society (such as the International Concertina Association, or the several UK Accordion Clubs) which held meetings and events for its membership, then that would be a different matter. If we wanted to form such an association, then this website and forum could be affiliated to it, I guess, if Theo felt like it.

We do have the potential membership for such an organisation, and it could be really good

Melodeonists of the world unite! I.M.A. (shame we couldn't sneak a T. in there so we could be ITMA!) - THEO for President!!!
Gets my vote (or is it a secret ballot?)
AL
 ;D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »

(or is it a secret ballot?)
AL
 ;D

We are not going to tell you because the fact that is is or is not a secret is itself a secret  >:E

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »

(or is it a secret ballot?)
AL
 ;D

We are not going to tell you because the fact that is is or is not a secret is itself a secret  >:E
The first rule of melodeon club, is you don't talk of melodeon club ;)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »

Hi. Re donations,maybe I'me a bit thick,I asked Theo how to send money after sale of instrument buy I can't work out which e.mail adress to send paypal payment to.If this was to be made very clear then I suspect more cash could be donated.

The link to donate is in this thread which is pinned at the top of the 'Buy & Sell' forum.  Lots of people have used this successfully.  I'm not aware of any problems with it.

Melodeons.net would seem to fit the Charities Act acceptable purpose under  "The advancement of the arts, culture, heritage or science". Registration as a charity would allow claim back of VAT and 20% tax on covenanted subscriptions. If it were part of eg "UK melodeon trust" I think it would go through easily. Colin Cater is involved in the East Anglia Trust - I'll try to tap his experience at Witney.

But it's all admin and that might be a bugbear. If Theo just wants to run the website could perhaps some of the mods act as trustees. I suspect there's paperwork involved, and accounts. 

Please no charity status!  Mountains of paperwork, written constitution, AGM, office bearers, accounts, auditors etc, etc.  It works the way it is, there is enough donations to cover costs.  It works.  (:)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal