Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: scales tutorial?  (Read 12234 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: scales tutorial?
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »

Or some 'suggestions' of fingerings maybe.

The key to not running out of fingers is to get your fingers moving long before you get to that point.

Try these fingerings and see how you like them - for B/C.

Scale of D major in 1 octave going up and down
Code: [Select]
D E F# G A B c# d  d c# B A G F# E D
1 2 3  2 1 2 3  2  2 3  2 1 1 3  2 1

You can't really use fewer than 3 fingers on this one  ;)

It involves a couple of crossings over a finger that you've just used on the outer row - extremely useful technique.

Scale of G major in 1 octave up and down
G A B c d e f# g   g f# e d c B A G
1 1 2 1 2 1 2  3   3 2  1 2 1 2 1 1

Here you can easily use two except for the last note, since you aren't going any further.

If you like these I can give you more suggestions - I practice most of the major scales every now and then when the fancy takes me.

Edited to add: All Es and Bs are played on the inner row in the above examples
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:18:07 PM by Steve Jones »

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

Gosh .. this has suddenly become so relevant for me as I'm learning the same thing.   For scale of G I use four fingers, crossing over on the F#.    I'll try your method as well.
Tony S

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »

Gosh .. this has suddenly become so relevant for me as I'm learning the same thing.   For scale of G I use four fingers, crossing over on the F#.    I'll try your method as well.

Which fingers do you use to cover the five buttons? I'm trying to untangle the crawling spider and never do it twice the same?

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »

Which fingers do you use to cover the five buttons? I'm trying to untangle the crawling spider and never do it twice the same?

To go up and down the middle octave, I've been trying ...

G  A  B  C  D  E  F# G F# E D C B A G
 1  1  2  2  3  3  4  3  4 3 3 2 2 1 1
Tony S

george garside

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 10:53:10 PM »

Or some 'suggestions' of fingerings maybe.

The key to not running out of fingers is to get your fingers moving long before you get to that point.

Try these fingerings and see how you like them - for B/C.

Scale of D major in 1 octave going up and down
D E F# G A B c# d  d c# B A G F# E D
1 2 3  2 1 2 3  2  2 3  2 1 1 3  2 1

You can't really use fewer than 3 fingers on this one  ;)

It involves a couple of crossings over a finger that you've just used on the outer row - extremely useful technique.

Scale of G major in 1 octave up and down
G A B c d e f# g   g f# e d c B A G
1 1 2 1 2 1 2  3   3 2  1 2 1 2 1 1

Here you can easily use two except for the last note, since you aren't going any further.

If you like these I can give you more suggestions - I practice most of the major scales every now and then when the fancy takes me.

Edited to add: All Es and Bs are played on the inner row in the above examples
#

JUst to prove that there are many ways of doing it 'correctly!' my choice would be

D scale      D E F#  G A B C# D
                1 2 3    1 1  2 3  1

this leaves you with 1st fingr on higher D ready to proceed higher

G scale      G A B C D E F# G
                1 1  2 2 3 3 4   4 ( or 1 if proceeding higher)

A scale       A B C# D E F# G#  A     
                 1 2 3   1  1 2   3    1     This works using B on eiither row & E  on either row.  Using push E & B           
                                                   as much as possible helps bellows control in A

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Keithypete.

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »

Thanks for the fingering suggestions. Plenty to go at there. Following earlier advice I have been using the B & E push wherever possible for D major, though sometimes the pull seems more natural and comfortable and therefore does not interupt the flow.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

george garside

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »

Thanks for the fingering suggestions. Plenty to go at there. Following earlier advice I have been using the B & E push wherever possible for D major, though sometimes the pull seems more natural and comfortable and therefore does not interupt the flow.

its not so much a question of uing the push B & E whereaver possible, although this is useful to practice in scales, it is moe a question of using one or both wherever you get some benefit out of so doing.  /for example if the B or E note is very short & fits in better on the pull then use it (them) on the pull as it will make little difference to the bellows position. On the other hand if they (B& E) are nice long notes or are samdwiched between a couple of push notes it  can be well worth going for the push version to bring the bellows back totally free of charge!.

The really importanat thing is to get to know the keyboard very well & get used to using both push & pull B&E so that you are able to make a sensible choice according to the  dictates of the tune.  Youneed to know not just where you are going but where you are coming from!

george ;)

Graeme

• Regular debater
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »

its not so much a question of uing the push B & E whereaver possible, although this is useful to practice in scales, it is moe a question of using one or both wherever you get some benefit out of so doing.  /for example if the B or E note is very short & fits in better on the pull then use it (them) on the pull as it will make little difference to the bellows position. On the other hand if they (B& E) are nice long notes or are samdwiched between a couple of push notes it  can be well worth going for the push version to bring the bellows back totally free of charge!.

The really importanat thing is to get to know the keyboard very well & get used to using both push & pull B&E so that you are able to make a sensible choice according to the  dictates of the tune.  Youneed to know not just where you are going but where you are coming from!

george ;)

This may have come up in other discussion threads, but are there any recommended/suggested tunes to help learn D, G & A scales and fingering?

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »

This may have come up in other discussion threads, but are there any recommended/suggested tunes to help learn D, G & A scales and fingering?
We covered G, D and A scales and fingering at Graeme's (the other one) last Button Box Workshop. (hint, hint!)

Bill

george garside

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »

[   

[/quote]

A - athol highlanders, cock of the north , bony dundee  & 100 pipers  & my home are well known (presumably) & benefit from making the best choice of alternatives, if not the bellwos go ever outwards.

D -  Rowan Tree, harvest home, oh dear what can the matter be

G -  Hullican jig,  duke of perth & kate dalrymple all of which have plenty of bellows action!

better still  use whatevr tunes you already have going round in your head ( including as Bill points out those from Graemes workshop) & have a go at playing them in all 3 keys (but not at the same time!)- when you can do that try them in the flat keys on inside rows. & don't forget to keep haaving a go at scales.

george ;D

Graeme

• Regular debater
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »

We covered G, D and A scales and fingering at Graeme's (the other one) last Button Box Workshop. (hint, hint!)

Bill

Hints taken Bill. Am in negotiations with SWMBO at present. If I can I absolutely will. Making very slow progress on my own!

Thanks for your suggestions George. Will have a bash if I can find the right buttons to push!

Graeme
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:50:26 PM by Graeme »

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 09:11:53 AM »

Which could read as meaning that they won't be at the next one?
Tony S

ACE

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2009, 07:16:02 AM »

I heard a bloke playing, "Do... Re... Mi..." the other day.

I thought to myself, "He'll go Far." ;) 
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »

I'm reminded of the delicious parody that Sheffield City Morris Men sometimes sing in sessions. The first time I heard it I fell about laughing, and it still tickles me when I think of it.

I expect it is well-known in other circles too. 

(To the tune from The Sound of Music)

Doe - a beer, a Mexican beer
Ray - a man who buys me beer
Me - a man I buy beer for
Far - a long way to the bar
So - I think I'll have a beer
La, la la la la la la...
Tea? No thanks, I'll have a beer
And that brings us back to Doe (doe, doe, doe)

Doe - a beer, a Mexican beer,
etc. etc.................

Repeat until booed off  ;D
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »

I played my scales at Graeme's workshop and found I was ok going up the ways and rubbish coming back down which was a bit frustrating. Then I found I was making the same mistakes on certain tunes so now I am a good Boy and practise my scales for a short time each day. I'm sure Graeme will have some scales new and old for us to try at the next workshop - and if he doesn't then Jim will!!

Nigel

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »

I played my scales at Graeme's workshop and found I was ok going up the ways and rubbish coming back down which was a bit frustrating

I seem to remember that all of us were the same, so, why do you think that coming down is harder? It doesn't make sense does it? I've just had a crack at a scale or two on the piano and it doesn't seem to occur  ??? ??? ???
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

george garside

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 07:58:38 PM »

may be because you can see what you are doing on a piano keyboard & also because up is up & down is down without any need to bother about bellows direction.  Becoming fluent up & down BC(C#) scales is just a question of keeping at it both up & down, or perhaps two downs to one up!

george

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:59 PM »

or perhaps two downs to one up!

The Duke of York was the chap who knew about going and being up and then going down and being down. He also was good at half way up as well.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2009, 09:14:46 PM »

I am looking for any links to scales information/tutoring for a dg melodeon. 

.. are you still with us, Sandy?   ::)

I'll just keep smiling and nodding my head !!   ::)

Cheers

Sandy
 (:)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal