Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: TOTM Project Evaluation  (Read 16991 times)

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
TOTM Project Evaluation
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:41:15 PM »

OK folks, TOTM has been going for about 6 weeks now...and I've been thinking since end of the October one that it would be good to have some general evaluation of the project so far (you can tell I've been on too many Courses... ;))

So, there's lots of positives I could say, but, to kick off - isn't it just great to see all these different boxes coming out of the woodwork (like Derek's blue one, which otherwise rarely gets an airing...and which I'm coveting... :P)! and, for this project to allow us to so easily observe and evaluate their individual  sounds (and appearance)? eg I was struck by just how different in tone the Baffetti/ Oakwood sounded from other boxes in one contribution, and also really liked the Serenellini Selli.

Great opportunity for us MAD people to give some of our lesser-used boxes a showcasing - particularly as different boxes are likely to be more or less appropriate to the different TOTMs, given different tones, etc.

Lots more to say in evaluation - but, I tend to hate writing such things as I've either too much, or nothing. to say! - so, over to somebody else...

Martin Duffy

Re: TOTM Project Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »

I've found it quite helpful to watch others playing the same tune as it's given me some idea of how to work those pesky basses!  That said, my poor Delicia has a dodgy chord & is about to go off for repair so I'm unable to play this months TOTM anyway!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:00:57 AM »

(like Derek's blue one, which otherwise rarely gets an airing...and which I'm coveting... :P)!

Yes, me too, the tone is glorious but I can see why it might be shoved to the back; large, heavy, perhaps a little slow to speak.

Evaluation of the project? Well 'tis plain for all to see. Iincreased interest in the forum and highly entertaining/informative performances. What more could you ask?
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:36:12 AM »

I have really enjoyed hearing the different styles of playing.  (Great as i don't get to many sessions or gigs)

I also like viewing the 'experimental' or 'therapeutic' submissions.  ;D  (I like the freedom of speech!)

And sooo many boxes.......never realised the choices.....wonderful. 

Cheers

Sandy
 (:)

p.s. I don't think now that I will ever approach a tune from just one angle! :||:

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »

The variety is all. Sat playing in own study, or going to the same sessions you really get stuck in a rut. While this can be good (it develops that 'local style') I think TOTM's cross fertilisation will be better for most us (certainly for me) in the long run. Long may it continue.  :||:
  _       _    _      _ 

HallelujahAl

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 09:15:56 AM »

Great opportunity for us MAD people to give some of our lesser-used boxes a showcasing

Quite so, and I think it's delightful to see so many different systems playing the same piece.
AL

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »

Yes its been an eye-opener to me too,  such enthusiasm and creativity, brilliant.  ;D

I'm slightly surprised that I've only seen one example of a B/C/C# in TOTM, considering the amount of discussion there is about them.   :o
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »

I think it's been hugely successful, and I find it not only shows you how others play, but also makes you want to evaluate and improve your own playing, because you know you're going to be doing it in front of a more than usually knowledgeable audience! 

I find it astonishing how different people's styles are, when you watch them play.  I find that I keep asking myself why I play a certain run of notes in one way, when others do it completely differently. This is great for learning.

I somehow doubt that we're going to keep this pace up, but that won't matter!

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »

The whole thing has been great. All the different performances of the tunes and the discussions, opinions and advice about playing them has been terrific for a beginner. I have liked the choice of LIDL as maybe being less familiar to most it  has generated more discussion on the playing of the tune and in a short time some great videos (and the things some people can do with a Morgane, DTN - I'm sure it's not the same box as mine!!). Long may it continue!

I really like the sound of the Serenellinis and am now looking out for a 233.

Neil

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »

Much chatter about different 'systems'.  And yes some kit will have a nice tone.

Although keyboard layouts, ready 'accidentals' (not a word I like) will surely condition what can be done on any particular box - it is actually about different people's music style.

I really do think that is fundamental.

[edit] Been experimenting (not accidentally) with 'accidental' Eb and Fnat notes against the same chords, which miraculously work. Also new camera!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:39:21 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »

'accidentals' (not a word I like)

Yes it is odd isn't it? Flats and sharps are only really accidentals when they don't belong in the key signature of the piece being played. How can Bb be an accidental in the key of F? You would think there would be a proper collective noun for the black notes.

*Back on topic* This TOTM has already thrown up a wonderful variety of interpretations and playing styles and we're only a few days into the month. GbH hasn't contributed yet but I suspect he's brewing up something spectacular after DTNs last outing.   >:E
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »

I think it's great and I've really enjoyed listening to them. At some point I shall have to get some sort of recording device that will enable me to take part.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »

Flats and sharps are only really accidentals when they don't belong in the key signature of the piece being played.
Not that uncommon; even the melodic minor scale contains notes out of the key signature.
You would think there would be a proper collective noun for the black notes.
Perhaps because there's no real difference between white and black notes? We could just call them black notes though.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »

More tunes to come with TOTM as:-

I've still got to get out my:-

Castagnari Dony 12 DG
Saltarelle Connemara 3 DG (i have 2 - 1 has broken bellows)
Castagnari Max D
Hohner Pokerwork DG (i have 2 (1 is wreckage))
Hohner 3 stop 1 Row A
Dino Baffetti DG
Hohner 4 voice Swing tuned CF

As i've already used my:-
Castagnari Mory DG
Bernard Loffet CF
Saltarelle GC
Hohner Morgane D

Wife says i have too many boxes! (she only sees 7 of them  >:E )

So plenty more variations to come! ;D

Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »

Flats and sharps are only really accidentals when they don't belong in the key signature of the piece being played.
Not that uncommon; even the melodic minor scale contains notes out of the key signature.

.. specifically Eb and F natural for C melodic minor  ;)  which in its 5th (G) mode has virtually all the notes in Inconnu's  'A' music.  Interesting!

Perhaps because there's no real difference between white and black notes? We could just call them black notes though.

But then wouldn't we be playing a harpsichord  ???
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:06:27 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 04:59:22 PM »

*Back on topic* This TOTM has already thrown up a wonderful variety of interpretations and playing styles and we're only a few days into the month. GbH hasn't contributed yet but I suspect he's brewing up something spectacular after DTNs last outing.   >:E

Nope, quite the opposite, as it turns out.  For November's tune, something more subtle seemed more appropriate.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »

So, there's lots of positives I could say, but, to kick off - isn't it just great to see all these different boxes coming out of the woodwork (like Derek's blue one, which otherwise rarely gets an airing...and which I'm coveting... :P)! and, for this project to allow us to so easily observe and evaluate their individual  sounds (and appearance)? eg I was struck by just how different in tone the Baffetti/ Oakwood sounded from other boxes in one contribution, and also really liked the Serenellini Selli.

My evaluation of the project  --  a beautifully simple idea that's produced a tremendous amount of pleasure. Long may it continue. In terms of evaluating the tones of the various boxes, in my case at least (probably the Baffetti referred to by Dianne) the recording system had a profound influence on the end result. The camera I used produced a sound that didn't much resemble the actual melodeon! Since uploading that clip for ToM, I've tried re-recording the tune using a webcam with a simple desk mic  --  much sweeter. I'll use this combination next time. Anyhow, during October I enjoyed listening to every contribution (it was addictive  --  very tempting to go onto the ToM thread whilst supposedly working in my office...........  )

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »

I think everyone agrees at what a great idea it is.

It's getting me to do things with my accordion that I wouldn't normally do in front of people.  Practising to get it to a perfomance level is something that I haven't had to do in a long time, normally a case of read the music, play the tune. 

For TOTM, I'm looking beyond that and trying to see what I can do with it that would be a bit different to my normal playing & what other people may be doing.  Also using my box to its potential.
Black Shand Morino

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 05:35:41 PM »

As a beginner of just six weeks I've found TOTM an inspiration.

It's a genuine help to see how different players play tunes and even just hold the box.

As a lover of music generally, I've really enjoyed all the different interpretations and styles. I always thought I disliked Speed the Plough and swore I would never learn to play it. Now I am inspired to learn it in a minor key or 5/4!

I hope TOTM continues for a long time to come.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »

I love TOTM and look forward to reading/watching the new posts. I have learned a great deal and, as a beginner on the box, find it all very instructive and interesting. I have to admit that I am feeling more reluctant to post my own efforts than I was at first as the standard is so very good. Catching up with what is happening on mel.net and ToTM is one of the best parts of the day, long may it last  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal