Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: TOTM Project Evaluation  (Read 16995 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: TOTM Project Evaluation
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 12:19:35 AM »

I have to admit that I am feeling more reluctant to post my own efforts than I was at first as the standard is so very good.

No, no, no! The more advanced players aren't posting videos to frighten you off, just enjoying themselves, joining in the spirit of the thing and giving you something to aspire to, to watch, gawp at and enjoy (oh, and they're not above learning from each other, in fact they relish it!). I've enjoyed every single video posted so far, it's not a competition in any way. Your input is as valuable as any other member of the forum and as matter of fact might prove to be a benchmark for the success of the project/thread as your playing improves over the coming months - and it will, believe me.  ;)

Pete
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:06 AM »

Your input is as valuable as any other member of the forum and as matter of fact might prove to be a benchmark for the success of the project/thread as your playing improves over the coming months - and it will, believe me.  ;)

Absolutely - one of the best bits for me is seeing how people's take on the tune changes over the month as they become more confident with it.

Don't forget all this is AndyShear's idea - I think we owe him a pint!  :|glug

Cheers,

Clive

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 01:44:06 AM »

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that anyone was trying to frighten me off, or being competitive :|bl Far from it, this is the most friendly and welcoming of forums and ToTM has continued in that vein. I love the tunes too and am enjoying learning them - if I am a bit shy of posting videos of me performing them it is because of my own concerns, not because of anything on this forum. Long live Tune of the Month!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:49:50 AM by juker »
I don't get 'jigs'

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 01:48:05 AM »

I think TOTM is the biggest and best thing to happen to the British melodeon scene since No Reels or Andy Cutting or Jackie Daly (or some other big thing what has happened to it).
It is so accessible.
I have been gobsmacked by the response. It's educational, it's fun and it's legal.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 09:03:54 AM »

It's great to see all the different versions of the tune and the difference in playing styles. The TOTM is also a good opportunity to see what you can do with a tune. Usually I go for the straightforward approach of playing the obvious with only small variations. All those different recordings are a great inspiration to figure out less obvious chords or variations. The downside is recording yourself always makes me realize that I play a lot worse than I thought.  ;D

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »

.... It's educational, it's fun and it's legal.

shouldn't stop you enjoying it though ;D

mind you, if a little guilt enhances your pleasure just check how many days of your life you've spent on here :o
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »

The downside is recording yourself always makes me realize that I play a lot worse than I thought.  ;D

Actually i believe its more about ones own perception of ones own performance! .. to those that listen in it will be far better and well received than you would perceive it yourself !
Because it is in reality better than you think!, Its the same for us at any playing level , I bet all of us groan a bit at what we record, when we play it back! ... its just human nature!
Ever lent your box to someone else to play? ... It always seems to sound better when someone else plays it! ... its the same thing!!
The best bit is it makes you stay at it! ..practice - practice!!... and when you look back on your old videos you really realise how far you've come and massively improved ... you only get better believe me!
Good luck and look forward to hearing you
    :||:   DEREK   :||:
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »

eg I was struck by just how different in tone the Baffetti/ Oakwood sounded from other boxes in one contribution, and also really liked the Serenellini Selli.

In terms of evaluating the tones of the various boxes, in my case at least (probably the Baffetti referred to by Dianne) the recording system had a profound influence on the end result. The camera I used produced a sound that didn't much resemble the actual melodeon! Since uploading that clip for ToM, I've tried re-recording the tune using a webcam with a simple desk mic  --  much sweeter. I'll use this combination next time.

Just to clarify, Rob, my comment certainly wasn't meant as a criticism - far from it - but merely an observation. I'm on my third Oakwood, and have always thought of them as special boxes - though none of them have sounded the same as each other, nor indded the same as anyone else's Oakwood!; and I've never had Binci reeds. So, it was interesting to then hear one in contrast to other boxes. However, you then explain that it doesn't sound like that, anyway! lol. I find it incredibly difficult to know what the sound of your own box is like. In the past I've found using a 'stick' mic on the computer to be worse, due to the amount of distortion producued by a loud box.

Diane

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »

Just to clarify, Rob, my comment certainly wasn't meant as a criticism - far from it - but merely an observation. I'm on my third Oakwood, and have always thought of them as special boxes - though none of them have sounded the same as each other, nor indded the same as anyone else's Oakwood!; and I've never had Binci reeds. So, it was interesting to then hear one in contrast to other boxes. However, you then explain that it doesn't sound like that, anyway! lol. I find it incredibly difficult to know what the sound of your own box is like. In the past I've found using a 'stick' mic on the computer to be worse, due to the amount of distortion producued by a loud box.

Diane

Thanks, Diane. Your comment wasn't received as a criticism! Given the approximate quality of the low-fi recording equipment I used, the best way of knowing what the box sounds like is to give it a squeeze. If you're at Witney, be my guest  --  I'll look out for you. The box concerned has seen better days but it has, shall we say, character!

Rob

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 10:19:08 PM »

Even thought we're only two tunes in, I feel that the TOTM project has already taught me a great deal - far more than I'd bargained for.  As a great deal of my playing has previously developed from watching genereal YouTube videos, I didn't initially expect TOTM to make a big difference to me.  However, seeing so many people attempt the same thing has really opened my eyes as to what's possible, what I personally like to listen to and what aspects of my own playing need the most development.  The down side of it is that I've found it too easy to get dispondent about my own abilities after watching those with more experience, but I guess that's all part of it too (or just the way my brain works).

Another aspect that I like about it is the (imagined?) need to do something distinctive or imaginative.  To my way of thinking, the project would not be nearly so interesting if everyone was trying to achieve the same goal.  As it is, I think that there's been plenty of evidence to see that people have been trying to put their own mark on their entries, which has in turn resulted in a variety of ideas that you'd struggle to find using just a conventional YouTube search.

I think it's good that more people have been encouraged to make videos or recordings.  Firstly, because I now have a better idea about 'who does what', which I think may help put some regular forum discussions in slightly more of a context.  Also, it's good because I know from my own experience that making and publishing videos can be a fantastic learning aid - admittedly one that can be frustrating and deflating at times, but ultimately worthwhile.

One other thought, made somewhat with Juker's comment in mind, was that at least three of the StP videos that I particularly enjoyed were made by 'beginners'.  I guess that music (and video) doesn't always (ever?) rely on technical wizzardry alone and I think that the TOTM results proved that quite well.    

"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

As a beginner I'd like to thank Mel net for all the input and support. TOTM has been brill and I'm sure it will continue to be so.
It's so helpful to have a variety of samples of the same tune, to see the different approaches and different boxes. For me it's been a great focus-er, I tended to try and learn any thing I heard and liked with the effect that I've got lots of tunes on the go and can't play any of them. Getting focused on one tune for a whole month has been great and made me realise how important it is to stick at one tune until you get it right.
My playing is still very basic and making a video and broadcasting myself was awful but I managed to do it(thanks to all the other beginner videos, they're a real encouragement).
LIDL is a great choice. I didn't vote for it as I assumed it was far to difficult for me, I'd never tried anything on the C row and never used all the bass buttons in one tune so it's a great challenge and I hope to get a recognisable video version done by the end of the month. Still got 21 days to practice ;D

:|||:Louise :|||:

Sebastian

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 08:53:23 AM »

I hope to get a recognisable video version done by the end of the month. Still got 21 days to practice ;D
I'm looking forward to watch/hear it.  :||: :|||: (:)

Bananayogi

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 09:03:18 AM »

I love TOTM. It has given me a lot to work on, think about and practice.

One thing that I do appreciate is the various alternative suggestions given for the fingering and bass side of the tune. As with many people (I suspect), I am a bit slapdash in exploring different ways of playing a tune and can be guilty of just bashing it out! ToTM is going a long way towards curing that.

I am trying to avoid watching too many of the early submissions as I learn the tune, so at least I know what I am supposed to be doing before watching people who have already sorted it. Less scary that way!

I also like the fact that we have had two very different tunes so far, and hope that the voters of this parish choose something different again next time.
Larry Miller Bon Cajun in C, A/D/G Handry, far too many Hohners and a Streb.

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »

I'm slightly surprised that I've only seen one example of a B/C/C# in TOTM, considering the amount of discussion there is about them.

I have no means of making a reasonable recording and so have not yet added a tune. 
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »

I'm slightly surprised that I've only seen one example of a B/C/C# in TOTM, considering the amount of discussion there is about them.

I have no means of making a reasonable recording and so have not yet added a tune. 

You've got a great phone for recording video, use it
Black Shand Morino

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 03:57:51 PM »

I'm going to be intrested to hear the nominations for May...as so many tunes/songs seem to feature that month.  ;)

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »

I'm going to be intrested to hear the nominations for May...as so many tunes/songs seem to feature that month.  ;)

Nothing quite like advanced thinking!  No reason why you can't nominate a May tune for December
Black Shand Morino

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »

You've got a great phone for recording video, use it

Yes sir!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »

Indeed. Fabulous month. I once ran an entire (May) evening at my university folk club "songs mentioning May only" -- they all managed something. I met my wife on May day. My first daughter is called Dolly May, because she was born in February.
  _       _    _      _ 

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »

You wouldn't thank me for posting my attempt, although its a good tune for me to use while learning the system.
Tony S
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal