Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: TOTM Project Evaluation  (Read 16993 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: TOTM Project Evaluation
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 08:37:05 AM »

I'm slightly surprised that I've only seen one example of a B/C/C# in TOTM, considering the amount of discussion there is about them.

You wouldn't thank me for posting my attempt

Oh! yes we would

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »

Indeed. Fabulous month. I once ran an entire (May) evening at my university folk club "songs mentioning May only" -- they all managed something. I met my wife on May day. My first daughter is called Dolly May, because she was born in February.
[/quote]

...because she was born in February. Priceless. Thank you for cheering up a dull day.

FREED

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »

I have to say the entries for Oct and now Nov have been fantastic. I have learned so much and had a great time watching things develop. Problem is that I only have a month to put something together I still don't have a decent version of STP. I need six months...
Ken
Ken, Glos., UK.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 04:45:35 PM »

So, Speed the Plough revisited in March then?  ;D

FREED

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »

Ellie, that was spooky - I was just watching your L'Inconnu - really nice. Thanks.
Ken
Ken, Glos., UK.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:03 PM »

Problem is that I only have a month to put something together I still don't have a decent version of STP. I need six months...

You and me both Ken. Mind you I only started on it in the last week of October, spurred on by all the fine contributions I watched and listened to. The basses are doing my head in and I'm developing a nasty ache in my left shoulder but we'll get there in the end, See you in March mate!  8)

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »

Problem is that I only have a month to put something together I still don't have a decent version of STP. I need six months...

The basses are doing my head in and I'm developing a nasty ache in my left shoulder but we'll get there in the end,
Pete.

I know it probably doesn't seem like it at the moment! ... it does all become second nature at some stage and your Bass playing simply becomes an automatic process! .. when i play on my own (i.e not co-ordinating with other musician chords) my bass playing is just freelance and instinctive and made up as i go along so i can ornament the tunes differently as they progress.
A good example of variation between tunes was my http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb_nxCThNtA 
I'm often to commented that i must have being playing melodeon since i was a kid! .... I actually took it up age 34 with no previous musical skill!!

It is mostly hard work , Practise , playing with other players , and more practise .  Sooooo keep it up! ... you will never stop getting better! .. its like riding a bike! ... Good Luck!

:||: :||:Derek :||: :||:
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

FREED

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »

Ah someone mentioned basses .. did I say six months ?   Thanks for the encouragement guys and fantastic stuff Derek.
Ken
Ken, Glos., UK.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »

Just wanted to say that I think that TOTM is brilliant, but is only 1 tune a month enough?

Or have I just got too much free time on my hands?

Yes...that's probably it.

Bananayogi

• Regular debater
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »

Just wanted to say that I think that TOTM is brilliant, but is only 1 tune a month enough?

Yes, I think one tune a month is enough. I think the STP month showed how people evolved the tune and their way of playing rather than just learning the dots. (Although 'just' learning the dots is hard enough for some of us!)

Two weeks wouldn't be enough for me (especially with a more complex tune like LIDL that I had never knowingly heard before) to make a decent stab at it.
Larry Miller Bon Cajun in C, A/D/G Handry, far too many Hohners and a Streb.

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »

IMO one tune is enough. I'm thinking about how I'm going to fit in December's choices. Anyone know any really simple carols!!?

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »

I think that one-per-month is fine, too.  However, there's obviously nothing preventing you from doing multiple versions, or indeed, from just recording and publishing as much other stuff as you can.  Some of us have been uploading and linking to videos for a while and I don't see why TOTM needs to stop that.  In fact, it's clear that TOTM has encouraged video creation from people who've previously not got involved in it, so it would be great to see those people start to make non-TOTM videos too.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

SteveC

• Regular debater
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »

I think one tune a month is enough and can give something for everyone. For beginners, like me, it provides inspiration and a target. (If I crack that one bar that's throwing me in the B part and put in several more hours of practice I might have a slow version ready for the end of the month).

For more experienced players it offers the opportunity to try differnt versions I I love DtNs second offering and the wind blown melodeon was a masterpiece.

I am loving watching all the different interpretations and log on almost daily to see what's been added.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »

One tune a month is certainly enough for me to tackle! The good thing is that in a year I should have at least 12 good tunes ;D Excellent! I also enjoy checking in every day to see what new interpretations are posted, and the ongoing travails of Ernest need to be followed. It is all great stuff and I love it!
I don't get 'jigs'

Keithypete.

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »

TOTM is a good thing. My IT skills are very poor, my video camera non-existent and my free-time limited which is why I'm not posting a video of my box & head-less torso this month. I love the chosen tune for november and learnt the basic tune fairly quickly so I'm getting a lot out of it but I can't really contribute this month. All the versions I have seen posted are excellent for effort, content -interpretation etc. But I have personally had enough of it now. I shall 'rest' this tune for a little while or I will end up loathing it. This is probably just me, but it's begining to jar a little when I hear it now. I'm really glad my suggestion didn't get picked as I really love the tune and it may well have spoiled it for me. I wonder how Al is getting on with his tune-a-day?
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 02:48:31 PM »

wonder how Al is getting on with his tune-a-day?

Fine thanks! Yesterday I played 'Yesterday' by the Beatless, very busy today - good job I got a ticket to ride! Just started blowin' a moothie as well - here's a small extract of my progress so far.
Al learnin' moothie!

;D

Bryson

• Regular debater
  • Connemara II - Pokerwork - Lilly - Black Pearl II
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »

I think totm is and will continue to be a major source of inspiration for my playing.

I told my younger sister about it in October. She went off to watch the videos. Next news she was emailing me to say that she wanted to learn the melodeon!
So she now has my super old (about 30 years!! yaiks!!) Pokerwork - fettled with good bass pads and felt under the treble side.
I also gave her a copy of Mally's "Absolute Beginner" book and I'm now treated to Jingle Bells and Baa Baa Black Sheep when I go round :)
If totm can inspire someone to take this enigmatic instrument then it must be good!
A Blackburn Rovers fan since 1957 :( cross rowing on a D/G melodeon since 2007

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:38 PM »

TOTM is a good thing. My IT skills are very poor, my video camera non-existent and my free-time limited which is why I'm not posting a video of my box & head-less torso this month. I love the chosen tune for november and learnt the basic tune fairly quickly so I'm getting a lot out of it but I can't really contribute this month. All the versions I have seen posted are excellent for effort, content -interpretation etc. But I have personally had enough of it now. I shall 'rest' this tune for a little while or I will end up loathing it. This is probably just me, but it's begining to jar a little when I hear it now.

I agree it's been a good thing, and I've learnt alot from TOTM so far (not least, that I could do with a small box with a stop on the bass to take the thirds out of the chords - aaagh, MAD threatening! :o) - eg challenging some of my own laziness over use of different basses, forcing me out of my comfort zone this month, and making me evaluate the qualities of particular boxes. My IT skills are also pretty basic - but, I've learned things from this project. Previously I found YouTube quite bewildering and very difficult to methodically find anything of any use to me - but I've learnt a lot in this respect since beginning of October, such that it has become a much more useful resource to me, and the local library has furnished me with a couple of 'YouTube for Dummies' books so I can go on and make it work even better for me. [continuing below as can no longer see what I'm typing - does anyone else have this problem?]

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »

I've also been forced to explore my camera much further than just basic 'point and shoot' - and I 'm sure that what I've learnt will be of considerable use in future. These are all valuable spin-offs from the project IMO.

But, I also agree this month with Keithypete's comments above. In the end I was just glad to get my video done and 'put the tune to bed' for a bit. I don't think I would have been able to do much else with it in another 2 weeks (but...give me a 'week off'....then, maybe :|||:) - unlike StP, which I've now come to like ;) (even played it as a melodeon duet with Tony Weatherall in the pub on Saturday)and which I feel would just keep evolving. However, I've enjoyed all the versions so far, and would like to be able to play LIDL in the different metres I've heard from some participants - but I just can't seem to get the way I've heard it played pre-TOTM out of my head. (will finish now, before page keeps jumping about again!)

Diane

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »

wonder how Al is getting on with his tune-a-day?

Fine thanks! Yesterday I played 'Yesterday' by the Beatless, very busy today - good job I got a ticket to ride! Just started blowin' a moothie as well - here's a small extract of my progress so far.
Al learnin' moothie!

;D
Fantastic, heart wrenching pictures - very atmospheric accompaniment  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal