Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 1/2 row layouts  (Read 3543 times)

Concertina

2 1/2 row layouts
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »

When looking onto this for an upcoming new instrument purchase, I found a good discussion of the thinking behind the various 1/2 row layouts.  Of course, I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find the web site.  Does anyone know where there is a good site for this (not what the layouts are but why they were chosen (Andy Cutting vs factory vs John Spiers)  Thanks.

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
Re: 2 1/2 row layouts
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:57:40 AM »

There is discussion on the old forum 2.5 rows

I would be interested in Steve_freereeder's thinking behind his layout .

(sometimes I have nostalgia for the flashlights - for 5 secs.)
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »

There is discussion on the old forum 2.5 rows

I would be interested in Steve_freereeder's thinking behind his layout .
It's this one....
http://info.melodeon.net/files/site/mory_steve_fr_layout.jpg

Mostly I didn't think too much about this, as I inherited the layout from the instrument's previous owner. The D and G rows are exactly how the previous owner requested them. I believe Theo carried out the customisation, which included the 4th button start (very useful) and adding the low notes on the chin end of the keyboard. Here, the low G and C are especially useful.

On the half-row, it's again as the previous owner specified, except that I swapped the E/D reversal with the higher of the Eb/F buttons, to achieve the layout shown. This preserves the 4-button octave spacing for both Eb/F and Bb/G#. The E/D reversal is one of the most useful buttons on the whole instrument, and opens up a whole degree of freedom for fingering.

The other useful spin-off with the 4th button start is that the hand becomes naturally positioned a little bit further towards the knee end of the keyboard and so the RH thumb is in closer proximity to the register levers on the underside of the keyboard. (Normally these are in a position optimised for a G/C box, i.e. off-centre, nearer the knee end of the keyboard, which is just a little bit awkward for a D/G hand position).

(sometimes I have nostalgia for the flashlights - for 5 secs.)
Nooooooo!!!!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:58:58 PM »

Apart from the 4th button start,Steve's layout (both the basses and the half row) is almost identical to that which was originally on my Castagnari Dony, and I thought that was the standard castagnari layout. The only difference is that the E and Eb notes on the half row are the other way round ie Eb/D and E/F.

Quite simply, it gives you all the accidentals in two octaves, plus a D/E reversal. With the Bb and the Eb on the push, and corresponding basses, it gives you scope to play in flat keys, and with the F note and bass on the pull, helps you play in A minor and F, and also G minor.

I found the half row layout really suited me, but after some years of playing I realised I wasn't using the Eb/F#m bass very much and changed it to A/G. Mixed blessings, but on the whole it gets used more.

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu writing this. I'm sure something like this has been covered in another thread somewhere.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »

When looking onto this for an upcoming new instrument purchase, I found a good discussion of the thinking behind the various 1/2 row layouts.  Of course, I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find the web site.  Does anyone know where there is a good site for this (not what the layouts are but why they were chosen (Andy Cutting vs factory vs John Spiers)  Thanks.

I've always been very happy with my 2.5 D/G row layout (you'll find a keyboard map on the main site) - it does pretty much everything I want to do for playing in the main keys D/G/Em/Am/Bm and what it tries to do is give you the accidentals you need to do particular tunes in the right direction for the corresponding chord.

But... trying TOTM Speed the Plough last month with the Gm variations in particular on the various keyboard layouts on the Streb, I was struck by how well laid out the default Castagnari 2.5 layout is for playing in Gm - the notes are right where you'd want them... and they're definitely not in my usual keyboard layout. I doubt that's ... accidental. [sorry]

Clive

Concertina

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:23:40 PM »

Thanks, guys, it all helps with getting through this minefield!  I think the article I'm referring to was not on Melodeon.net and discussed why Andy Cutting chose his layout (maximizing playing in the home keys and their minors I think) and so on for other layouts (John Spiers etc.).  Maybe I just imagined it!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:21:05 PM »

Thanks, guys, it all helps with getting through this minefield!  I think the article I'm referring to was not on Melodeon.net and discussed why Andy Cutting chose his layout (maximizing playing in the home keys and their minors I think) and so on for other layouts (John Spiers etc.).  Maybe I just imagined it!

I think I remember the page you're talking about, and I've a horrible feeling it was the geocities page linked to on the old melodeon.net discussion. Geocities was finally killed off by Yahoo a week or two ago - all pages on it are gone forever... apart from on www.archive.org...

Cheers,

Clive

Concertina

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »

Hi Clive, I think this is the link:  http://www.geocities.com/kozulich Of course, it dosn't work anymore as you said!

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 11:23:21 PM »

Heres the Saul Rose Layout that my Casrtagnari DG Dony 12 has! .... Dm Gm heaven!
Derek

All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal