Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LM tuning question  (Read 3136 times)

waltzman

LM tuning question
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »

Someone gave me an old  48 bass Hohner student VB piano accordion.  It seems to be in good shape.  The reeds appear to me to be  LM two voice.  I haven't ventured inside of a PA before.>:E   My question is when you tune a LM two voice instrument Is it done the same as MM.  In other words if you want some tremolo can you tune the M reed sharp a few cents to create the same tremolo effect as MM?  In principle, it seems like it would work the same way but I've never done it.

Thanks,
Michael

RGF

• Regular debater
Re: LM tuning question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:58:54 AM »

OK, I'm going to duck the tomatoes here and admit that I'm an old PA guy from way back in the fifties.....hope I don't suffer banishment!

Are you sure it's LM configuration? All of the old Hohner student series I've seen are MM, which are typically tuned M/M+. I don't know that I've ever encounterd a Low/Middle PA, Hohner or otherwise, that was not dry tuned, straight L/M, both on pitch. Most with three switches. You know....."violin", "bassoon", or "bandoneon".

But I could be wrong........it's happened before!

Bob

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:01:18 AM »

oops. Don't know why that picture's so small. It's supposed to illustrate the treble side of a Hohner Student that's currently on ebay, showing switches for M and MM. You'll have to take my word.

Bob

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:35:35 AM »

The VB is a LM version of the Hohner Student.   Rare instruments, great if you want the octave sound, but as RGF implies LM tuned with tremolo can sound a bit peculiar.   I'll swap you a set of MM Hohner Student reedblocks if that's what you would prefer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:37:09 AM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

waltzman

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »

The VB is a LM version of the Hohner Student.   Rare instruments, great if you want the octave sound, but as RGF implies LM tuned with tremolo can sound a bit peculiar.   I'll swap you a set of MM Hohner Student reedblocks if that's what you would prefer.

Thankyou for the offer but I think I'll stick with the LM.  I realized after I posted the inquiry that it has switches to play the L and M reeds separatley or together so it would only make sense to tune both on pitch.  Perhaps the "B" in the VB is for bandoneon?

triskel

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »

The VB is a LM version of the Hohner Student.   Rare instruments, great if you want the octave sound ...

Theo,

I don't think I've ever seen a VB in the British Isles, but I suspect they might be not so unusual in the US because plenty of piano accordions made for the American market seem to have been in octave tuning.

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 02:56:37 PM »

Having grown up learning PA during its heyday here in the States, during the 50's and 60's, I will concur that the vast majority of instruments were LM or LMH. Our parents just were not very fond of that "old world" sound of MM!

But for all the attention I've paid to ebay U.S. over the past six years, as well as the likes of Craig's List, and online vendors of used instruments, etc., (I'm a window shopper!), I've never seen a VB over here, either. Hence my ignorance to the fact that such a thing even existed.  The Student VM (and similar), while still not terribly common over here, do at least turn up on occasion.

Bob

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:32 PM »

I've seen one only which I bought a couple of years ago from somone who lived about 5 minutes away. I think it had been in that family for many years.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal