Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a Polka  (Read 3253 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
What is a Polka
« on: February 02, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »

But is it really a polka?I've just been playing "Balen i Karlstad" and the "Sunshine Schottische" and they have the same rythym and key changes.

Chris

Plenty of material here for a new topic?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

TomB-R

Re: What is a Polka
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »

Easy to answer sitting round with instruments, but a laugh in plain text!

Plenty of tunes that could be played as polkas even though they're called something else, and vice versa.

To my mind, the distinction with schottisches is an important one. Polkas faster and a different feel to the rhythm, even though the "dots" might look very similar.
Dare I hazard Schottische  Dum ticky Dum ticky - quite a relaxed feel
Whereas        Polka           um CHA um CHA quite a bit faster
Polka should count 123- 123-

Overall I'd take a dancer's view as definitive.

(Back to the workshop)
Tom

george garside

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »

I suppose that the simplest definition would be something on the lines of'  ' any tune to which a polka can be danced properly - i.e. fitting in the correct steps etc' - The question then is  is there any such thing as a standard speed at which polkas are (or should be) danced. 

As to the Bluebell Polka I would certainly say that it is a polka, but a slow version makes a reasonable strathspey.    The oft overspeeded version makes a bit of a dogs dinner of a very nice tune. 

The same goes for any dance tune  - many unlikley tunes can be juggled to fit a particular dance style and this is generally much easier for a traditional musician to do ' on the hoof'  than for a classical musician who  may need the dots rewriting  to provide a rhythm different from what the maker intended.  I find the simplest way to make a tune fit is to start off with the A part of a tune that you know fits a dance and then run straight into the B part of the tune you think will adapt.  If you can get them to fit together seemlessly ( so the unknowing would think it was the A & B of the same tune you have cracked it.   Try this with a known 6/8jig A part followed by winster gallop played as a 6/8 to match - its an interesting exercise.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Lars

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:56:46 PM »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »

It would be nice to hear the German point-of-view, since this is where the polka originates...

Ooh, now there's a can of worms - as the polka pre-dates what is now considered to be "Germany", both the Austrians and the Czechs (at least!) lay claim to it as well.  I think we can probably agree it's not Polish, but I'm not going to stick my neck out and say where it sprang from!
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 03:41:37 PM »

It would be nice to hear the German point-of-view, since this is where the polka originates...

Ooh, now there's a can of worms - as the polka pre-dates what is now considered to be "Germany", both the Austrians and the Czechs (at least!) lay claim to it as well.  I think we can probably agree it's not Polish, but I'm not going to stick my neck out and say where it sprang from!
Here's a suggestion. Bohemia sounds good to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polka

oldclubII

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »

An interesting story about one of the most famous Polkas and complexity of its "origin" :
Beer Barrel Polka
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 04:35:18 PM by oldclubII »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:42:30 PM »

Here's a suggestion. Bohemia sounds good to me.

Yes; having said I wouldn't stick my neck out, I have to agree and say I'd go for Bohemia - also the home of many good "German" melodeons! Perhaps it's best to draw a veil over the political past of the Czech lands, the Sudetenland et al, and settle for the polka being of Central European origin!
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal