Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Import duty  (Read 5517 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Import duty
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »

I am considering buying a Cajun accordion from the USA via the Internet, Does anyone have any experience of importing boxes from the USA? I am particularly interested in gaining some indication of what the customs duty might be, but any other advice about things to bear in mind would be welcome.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Import duty
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »

You instrument will be subject import duty which is something like 3% and then to VAT on on the value AND on the import duty, so 15%, or 17.5% after January.  The courier will also charge a handling fee for dealing with these charges. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

Hi Bob,
If you use google and type in import duty on goods from USA you should be able to work out fairly accurately how much extra you have to pay,I work as rule of thumb +25% on item plus shipping costs because they charge on that also.
Hope this helps.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »

Thanks, Theo and Jilly, for the information. All I need now is to find out whether the seller is willing to ship to the UK. Since this is my 'dream box', I am waiting anxiously for Chicago to wake up and for him to answer my e-mail.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »

Since this is my 'dream box', .

Tell us more Bob

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »

Since this is my 'dream box', .
Tell us more Bob
Baz

OK, but please don't anyone go and bid on it! There is a beautiful brand new blue Junior Martin one-row Cajun box in C on American eBay at the moment. A Junior Martin in C is top of my 'wants list' - in fact it is the entirety of my 'wants list'. I am waiting for the vendor to respond to my e-mail asking him whether he will ship it to the UK. If he will, I shall be putting in a bid. In the meantime, I am trying to control my nervous anticipation.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »

My Castagnari Mori arrived from Italy by post and was 'impounded' at Greenwich.

A form arrived with various  sections

o What is it?

o How much did it cost?

o Can you prove it?

o Is it italian porcelein?  ???

It would seem they'd had particular problems in some areas. It added up to about 15%
[edit] I can add it was forwarded to me as soon as my cheque cleared.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:36:33 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »

Thanks for the information, Chris. I hope that doesn't happen to me. However, there are a few hurdles to clear before I reach that stage. First, I need to know whether he accepts bids from England and, second, I have to win the bidding. My fingers are crossed (which makes it rather difficult to play the melodeon at the moment).  ::)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »

Thanks for the information, Chris. I hope that doesn't happen to me. However, there are a few hurdles to clear before I reach that stage. First, I need to know whether he accepts bids from England and, second, I have to win the bidding. My fingers are crossed (which makes it rather difficult to play the melodeon at the moment).  ::)
Looks a lovely box, Bob. I hope you are successful.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

import duty i believe depends on the value of the item, and whether its a gift or purchase. So the value can be higher if its a gift before getting hit with duty. May be worth seeing if there is some way you could get the sender to lie about the value, I mean given how little some PAs go for it would be unlikely customs would ever know.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »

Hi,
Do not do it,if they catch you they throw the book and confiscate.Also the instrument will need to be insured,this will have to be shown,easily picked up on.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »

import duty i believe depends on the value of the item, and whether its a gift or purchase. So the value can be higher if its a gift before getting hit with duty. May be worth seeing if there is some way you could get the sender to lie about the value, I mean given how little some PAs go for it would be unlikely customs would ever know.

Its a complicated subject.   There is a VAT and duty calculator here
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »

Thanks, Theo.  I have put in a bid on the Cajun accordion on eBay (USA) and so I am now committed to paying whatever customs duty is charged, if I end up as the highest bidder. I'll just have to wait and see how much they charge and hope that it does not make too big a hole in my wallet.

Thanks also to Pete. I have no intention of playing anything but straight with HM Customs and Excise. Apart from the ethical issue, the risk of having something as precious as a Junior Martin accordion confiscated is just too great!

I don't really suffer from MAD; it's just that.....well, all right, maybe I have caught the virus, but I hope to recover....soon?  :|bl

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »

If anyone is interested, I won the Junior Martin on eBay (US). A heady combination of elation and euphoria pervades at the moment (and I haven't been drinking.....yet  :|glug). I suspect that the customs duty will bring me back down to earth when the accordion arrives, but I can console myself with the thought of playing such a lovely instrument.

Rees: your tuition at Witney is going to prove even more valuable than I thought it would. The groove is going to get well and truly felt...y'all   :||: 8)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »

Congratualtions. I recall 'no VAT on second hand goods'.  I doubt the same applies to the duty (or there's a trivial avoidance scheme).  Speculatively I'd predict you'll pay duty on sale price, and VAT on the duty "added value" only.  Who was it said we're a nation of shopkeepers?  Accountants more like!  As it happens I'm actually 'on duty' today (but my trade is VAT exempt).  :Ph
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:32:46 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

LJC

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »

Isn't it no VAT on secondhand items bought in the UK/EU as they will have already had VAT paid on them at the point of original sale?

melodeon

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 07:32:29 PM »

Another option is to have someone from the states travelling to the UK to bring it in as luggage....

Bananayogi

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »

My Castagnari Mori arrived from Italy by post and was 'impounded' at Greenwich.
A form arrived with various  sections
  o What is it?
  o How much did it cost?
  o Can you prove it?
  o Is it italian porcelein?  ???
It would seem they'd had particular problems in some areas. It added up to about 15%
[edit] I can add it was forwarded to me as soon as my cheque cleared.

I'm not sure I understand this Chris. Goods sent inside the EU should attract no duty at all.

From the DHL website:

"Customs duty is a tax charged on goods produced outside the EU. It is controlled by HM Customs & Excise. The purpose of Duty is to keep competition equal and fair and to bring the cost of imported goods up to the same cost as those produced within the EU. Once duty is paid, the goods are in 'free circulation' and can move throughout the EU without restriction."

The only exception to this are certain goods like alcohol and tobacco - not accordions. Castagnari should have charged you VAT (as it was a new item) so you shouldn't have had to pay that. In fact the same website says "Within the EU goods do not have to be declared to Customs. ".

I bought a Cajun accordion from Holland (obviously an EU country) and it was no different from buying it in this country - it had been legally imported form the States so VAT had been paid already, and there was no duty charge between EU countries.

I may have missed something, but I am not sure what? Maybe you can get a refund!
Larry Miller Bon Cajun in C, A/D/G Handry, far too many Hohners and a Streb.

ACE

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 08:57:45 PM »

I have purchased quite a few bits from ebay that came from the states. I think it is a bit hit and miss when it comes to customs and excise charging taxes. Sometimes I get charged, but mostly bits get through. The postal charges have been the biggest mystery. I think it depends on the carrier stateside on what  you get charged this side. Most of my purchases have been custom parts for my Harley which can be on the heavy side and have been opened to check the contents. (I expect, harley=biker=bad boy= drugs is the reason). I did get an Oscar schmidt autoharp with no extra charges which I had to go to the parcel depot to pick up, but the bloke behind the counter said he did not know what to charge and with no one else in the office to ask, he sent just me on my way.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »

If anyone is interested, I won the Junior Martin on eBay (US). A heady combination of elation and euphoria pervades at the moment (and I haven't been drinking.....yet  :|glug). I suspect that the customs duty will bring me back down to earth when the accordion arrives, but I can console myself with the thought of playing such a lovely instrument.

Well done Bob!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal