Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import duty  (Read 5520 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Import duty
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 09:06:47 AM »

I'm not sure I understand this Chris. Goods sent inside the EU should attract no duty at all.

This was AFAIR 1992 when it was still the "EEC". The Maastricht Treaty was later that year, and didn't actually come into force until 1999. 

Since then what you say is AFAIK correct, provided it is for your own use. However I'm told that white vans full of fags do still get impounded at Dover under UK duty rules.  Also we are presently concerned with a USA import, and I was thinking in that context. Apologies if that wasn't entirely clear. C
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 09:30:02 AM »

However I'm told that white vans full of fags do still get impounded at Dover under UK duty rules. 

Yes but that is for evasion of excise duty, not VAT.  Applies to booze and fags, but not accordions.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »

A scan of the Revenue site - seems we are talking about 'Import duty' which specifically applies to 'personal use' too. A friendly customs chap showed me his 'bible' when I set off to Italy in '92 to pick up the Mori (which wasn't ready). The book was horrendously thick, and had eg different rates for drums, trumpets, or accordions!

Volume 2 contains the 16,000 or so Commodity Codes set-out on a Chapter by Chapter basis. It lists duty rates and other directions such as import licensing and preferential duty rates.  ...

The Tariff is available on an annual subscription. At the time of going to print the cost is . Each December, a complete Tariff for the coming year is despatched followed by monthly amendments which replace existing pages. If you do not wish to obtain your own copy, the Tariff is available at some larger libraries.

.. no free internet download or lookup site either. Quite mediaeval!!

correction (couple of pages further down) http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/tariff will get up a look up table - accordions seem to be 3.7%;  drums are 3.2%  both plus VAT :Ph
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:49:00 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »

If anyone is interested, I won the Junior Martin on eBay (US). A heady combination of elation and euphoria pervades at the moment (and I haven't been drinking.....yet  :|glug). I suspect that the customs duty will bring me back down to earth when the accordion arrives, but I can console myself with the thought of playing such a lovely instrument.

Well done Bob!

Nice one, Bob. Let me know if you need any more help with that Zydeco groove.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »

Thanks, Chris, for the URL and the information about customs duty on accordions.

Thanks, Rees, for the offer of help. I am presuming that playing in A and F# minor on the D row, as we did at Witney, is equivalent to playing in G or E minor on a C accordion, so I can simply transpose Bonsoir Bebe, Battle of New Orleans and Hungover Zydeco when the Junior Martin arrives. I can hardly wait!

(Where's the emoticon for uncontrolled joy, when you need it?)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »

I am presuming that playing in A and F# minor on the D row, as we did at Witney, is equivalent to playing in G or E minor on a C accordion, so I can simply transpose Bonsoir Bebe, Battle of New Orleans and Hungover Zydeco when the Junior Martin arrives. [/color]

Correct.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »

Nice one Bob, good luck!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »

To draw this thread to what (for me) is a very satisfactory conclusion, FedEx delivered a beautiful blue Junior Martin Cajun accordion in C this afternoon. Christmas has definitely come early for someone in Wensleydale!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »

So, where's the photo of your pride and joy??

Nigel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal