Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Poll

What tune shall we choose as our tune of the month for December?

Emma
- 3 (4.4%)
Foul Weather Call
- 3 (4.4%)
God Rest You Merry Gentlemen
- 8 (11.8%)
Good King Wenceslas
- 3 (4.4%)
Hot Punch
- 6 (8.8%)
In the Bleak Midwinter
- 8 (11.8%)
Ladies Pleasure, Bledington
- 5 (7.4%)
Patapan
- 0 (0%)
Princess Royal
- 28 (41.2%)
Tip-Top Polka
- 4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: December 01, 2009, 12:12:44 AM

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for December 2009 - Princess Royal  (Read 97456 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Tune of the Month for December 2009 - Princess Royal
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »

Here is my very latest video recorded this morning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKK429IB5pI

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2012, 11:52:23 PM »

Hi LDT - I hadn't seen one of your videos for a while and just saw this and it sounds great - it's all coming together really well and you sound so much more confident now :|||: (and I don't know how you manage to fit this in along with learning other instruments and clogging...)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #282 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »

Hi LDT - I hadn't seen one of your videos for a while and just saw this and it sounds great - it's all coming together really well and you sound so much more confident now :|||: (and I don't know how you manage to fit this in along with learning other instruments and clogging...)
Thanks for the comments. I don't know how I fit it in either. lol!
Its really annoying I can play it well normaly but press record and I speed up and make mistakes.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »

I must upload one; I love this tune so much!  It's one of my favourites to play, so much so that I think my husband is starting to tire of it a bit.  And at the risk of dragging the tone down, ever since one of our cats let one off while I was playing this, the words have become "He's a stinky cat, he's a stinky cat, our cat he is a very stiiiiinky cat, our cat he is a very stinky cat, he has a stinky boooottom!"  Welcome to our world.  Husband requests tunes at practice time along the lines of "play the Squirrel one" (Hunt the Squirrel) or "the piratey one" (Bear Dance) - "you played Stinky Cat yesterday, play something else".

I finally played it, slowly, without making any mistakes, one night last week.  I was so proud of myself I actually attempted the very complicated runs and fiddly bits of Trumpet Hornpipe and didn't do half bad at that either.  It's sinking in!

Echo what the Lady said about videoing it causing issues.  I get awful melodeon face too, and find I play best when the television is on or some other distraction from heavy thinking, which isn't great for videoing.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #284 on: June 26, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »

I didn't realise; I have recorded Princess Royal.  Uploaded it a while ago but I don't think I've put it on this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47uQFcsmbfc
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »

And here's me being brave and starting princess royal at session
http://soundcloud.com/ladydetemps/princess-royal-ecmw
It takes so much not to loose confidence after the first few bars and stumble.

Ash

• Good talker
« Reply #286 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »

Just what the world needs, another version of Princess Royal. Almost three years late! In my defence I couldn't play the melodeon and didn't know of the existence of mel.net at the original TOTM time.

I'm going to try and use these old threads to give me the motivation to learn / develop tunes, if that's OK.

So here's my take on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHNArbuwmik&feature=youtu.be

I'm not overly confident about the bass 'arrangement' on this one - I just press stuff until something sounds alright and then repeat it until I memorise it. Hardly the application of sound music theory. Also, I'm a bit concerned that as the basses of the Lilly are a bit 'thin', I might be coming up with stuff that, if played on a melodeon with more voices, would sound awful. No real answer to this I guess, just keep going at it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:45:00 PM by Ash »
Chinese one-row C; Erica C/F; Sandpiper D/G; Cliff Mott 'Cajun Pride' C; Sternberg Hungarian 2-row (?); Liliput C/F; Castagnari Lilly D/G... Something's got to go. Any offers?

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »

Just thought I'd pop on a video i made today.
https://youtu.be/RKf0bTWbKbo
Actually managed to play a set without everything crumbling when I switched tunes.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #288 on: March 21, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »

Thanks, I enjoyed that.

It's great when a set goes goes well, especially playing solo, which always leaves me feeling exposed. Like you, I play Princess Royal with Speed the Plough. They make a nice contrast. I seem to remember I got the idea from a Chris Leslie CD.

Normally I play my take on the Adderbury setting, in Em, slowly, 1 A, 1 B  followed by my take on the Abington setting, in G, somewhat faster, 2 A and 2 B twice through then speed the Plough as fast as I can do it with control. Got me my first round of spontaneous applause. Very pleasing.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal