Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Was there any special reason for it  (Read 7886 times)

Fungusface

• SAOR ALBA
  • Respected Sage
  • SAOR ALBA
Was there any special reason for it
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:53:49 PM »

Over the many years I have seen that 90% of piano accordions are all  elabarately designed in rhinestones etc and melodeons are just normal wood and pearloid, in fact only melodeon I have seen with rhinestones is that 1935 Paolo Soprani I had 2 years ago, Was there any special reasons that piano accordions always fancy looking. some really beautiful piano accordions,italian ones seem to be like that.
If you wish peace, friendship, and quietness: listen and look and read

triskel

Re: Was there any special reason for it
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »

I think "90% of piano accordions" is a serious overstatement, but most of the decoration you're talking about was done in the 1930s when the piano accordion became very fashionable (my own father was on the verge of buying one, when certain events got in the way of his ambitions in 1939... ), and ostentatiously expensive and "flashy" ones were very popular, whilst diatonic accordions would have been seen by many at that time as old-fashioned, cheap and musically limited.

Mind you, nevertheless they did make some De Luxe versions of them, like these:

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:19 AM »

I for one am rather glad that most melodeons (apart from melodeon's new toy) are understated, elegant and aesthetically pleasing, rather than the revolting lumps of glitter that some people can apparently manhandle into producing some noise without blushing :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

triskel

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 01:38:24 AM »

... revolting lumps of glitter that some people can apparently manhandle into producing some noise without blushing :P

I'm extremely fond of my own "revolting lump of glitter" thank you very much, and the noise it can be (easily) "manhandled" into making is much better for getting people up dancing than anything "understated, elegant and aesthetically pleasing".

I guess it all depends on your aesthetic...  >:E

Andy Simpson

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:47:10 AM »

most of the decoration you're talking about was done in the 1930s

Coinicidentally, also the heyday of egregiously decorated "singing cowboy" guitars with names inlaid on the fretboard in big pearl letters and a profusion of MOP and abalone inlays on every other available surface....seems bad taste was big in the '30s.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »

... revolting lumps of glitter that some people can apparently manhandle into producing some noise without blushing :P

I'm extremely fond of my own "revolting lump of glitter" thank you very much, and the noise it can be (easily) "manhandled" into making is much better for getting people up dancing than anything "understated, elegant and aesthetically pleasing".

I guess it all depends on your aesthetic...  >:E

Don't worry, I was being tongue in cheek. But I still don't like glitter :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »

You can still buy bling melodeons

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »

I'm no art critic - nor an aesthete (hey, I was playing with a Morris Side last night - then barned off to the local pub and sang Yorkshire carols into the night - not bad for a Salvation Army Officer and accredited Minister of Religion heh?). But I like the decorated boxes a lot. They're bright and cheerful in what is sometimes a dark and dour world. All my boxes are (as I've stated elsewhere in this forum) black - and I've decided to change all that. 2010 is going to be the year when I brighten my boxes up a bit ( I sense a New Years' Resolution coming along).

The reasoning, historically speaking, goes much along the same lines. During the dark days of the depression and into the late 30s it appears that anything that spoke into and against the harshness of the quotidian existence was embraced and welcomed. Excessive and unnecessarily expensive decoration was, of course, brushed aside by the austerity of the war years.

They may seem like a 'revolting lump of glitter' to some of us now. But I think such decoration gave hope - hope that is of a better world, a more affluent world...hey that's us!!! I'm going to start blinging!
 ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »

Well if you have a blingy melodeons you need a plain outfit and if you have a plain melodeon you need a blingy outfit. ;)
I like some of the blingy melodeons, Susi's cake orgenetto I think is fab.

There's good bling and bad bling...with a fine line inbetween. It has to be eyecatching, quirky but not gareish to the extreme. Just enough bling to make it stand out.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »

You can still buy bling melodeons

Oooooh, I want one of those!!
I don't get 'jigs'

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »

Here's another very nice recent example (I'm sure Robert won't mind).

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »

So am I the only one that doesn't like the glitter? :(

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »

I think it's a girly thing, but I did think that if I was to buy a Bling Baffetti I would drill out the "jewels" and insert LEDs and drive them from a sound spectrum analyser, that is not girly it's geek.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 11:43:22 AM »

I can't say I'm generally keen on the glitter, either.  But I do tend to like stuff that's a bit out of the ordinary, so am always interested to see unexpected and imaginative ideas.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 11:44:33 AM »

... 2010 is going to be the year when I brighten my boxes up a bit ( I sense a New Years' Resolution coming along).

You can get the "Del Rey" in Bright Violet, Bright Orange, Bright Yellow, Red, Black or White.
Tony S

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »

I think it's a girly thing, but I did think that if I was to buy a Bling Baffetti I would drill out the "jewels" and insert LEDs and drive them from a sound spectrum analyser, that is not girly it's geek.

hah, I've had that thought before. A friend of mine is considering getting an Eigenharp, indeed is trying one out today and one of his questions is about the potential of the LED's mounted on the body >:E

Bananayogi

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »

Now THAT sounds like a project! There is a gurdy player who has a carving of a devil's head on the key end. I was told that the eyes are red LEDs that light up when the buzzing bridge buzzes. I've always envied that!
Larry Miller Bon Cajun in C, A/D/G Handry, far too many Hohners and a Streb.

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »

Well being a girl, I can on occasion be girly, but I personally disslike over the top decoration. Especially glitter and stones, but then I do have a soft spot for the flowers painted on alpine boxes!
I seriously hate pearliod though, and painted pearliod is even worse, just looks like a bling toilet seat.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »

No......  I  can't cope with bling. As for cheering me up, it's what comes out of the box. I find 'loud' boxes and 'loud' jumpers a bit distracting. (my problem)

I might be fussy though about bellows colours,  but that's just accessorizing and I don't do red.

Each to their own.

Cheers

Sandy
Not a Fashion Guru  ::)

p.s. there will be christmas lights on them next !!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal