Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: alcohol?  (Read 16578 times)

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
alcohol?
« on: November 30, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »

I presume I am not the only non-drinker on this forum. Anyone find some sessions a little difficult? If I am not known by the others, early in the evening I can be accused of being part of the temperance union and late in the evening, when everyone is just getting "happy" I sometimes am a bit frustrated by the deteriorating precision--although perhaps the latter comment DOES make me part of the temperance union
cheers   :|glug
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »

I presume I am not the only non-drinker on this forum. Anyone find some sessions a little difficult? If I am not known by the others, early in the evening I can be accused of being part of the temperance union and late in the evening, when everyone is just getting "happy" I sometimes am a bit frustrated by the deteriorating precision--although perhaps the latter comment DOES make me part of the temperance union
cheers   :|glug

There is more than just you and I who are sober at sessions, Al is also on the wagon with us. I agree that it can be frustrating towards the end of the night when you are by far the best player left in the room but no one cares  ;D  Guess you just have to learn to go with the flow. I also find I am very popular come kicking out time as I am sober and have a 7 seater car.

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »

I used to stay sober in most sessions I went to as I lived enough of a distance from them that i HAD to drive!

Since living in the city, all the sessions are no more than 20 minutes walk away. However, I still usually only drink two pints as I a) am a student and can't afford more than that per week and b) don't like it when my own playing is affected by the beer.
I have nothing against tee-totalers and they are very handy for giving lifts, especially in the rain.

Now on the other hand, when I'm out rapper dancing......  >:E
Faversham, Kent

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »

I'm also a TT sessioner. It can be a problem, although the sessions I go to are relaxed enough that nobody gets really drunk. Plus they all know me. Alcohol has different affects on different people, a friend of mine can have 5 or 6 pints without any apparent loss of musical ability. I've never had trouble with not drinking.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 03:18:52 PM »

I am not a teetotaller, but I sympathise with nfldbox and Lester. I never drink more than two or three halves of lager in an entire evening partly because I usually have to drive home, partly because drinking more than that makes it even more likely that I shall fall off the notes and partly because I do not like to drink any more than that.

There is a fine balance: a couple of halves helps to settle my nerves and reduce my inhibitions, whereas too much lowers the proficiency level. As others have said, those of us who are still sober notice the drop in standard among the 'happy' musicians around us. I wouldn't claim, though that this leaves me as the best player in the room - I am too aware of my limiations for that!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »

I've not drunk alcohol since 1993, which is when I finally admitted defeat and accepted that my stomach just couldn't deal with it.  Thus, I very rarely find myself in pubs, which I suppose would be one reason why I've not done the session thing.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »

I don't drink any alcohol except with food....and its usually 90% lemonade....coz I have the taste of alcohol.  :-\
I've never had any problems but then I usually leave early anyway...I need my beauty sleep...  :-*

Jake Middleton (brinwins)

• Regular debater
  • Concertina Maker and repairer
    • Wolverton Concertinas
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:18:39 PM »

I used to get drunk at sessions and have a roaringly good time, probably sounding roaringly bad at the end of the night

Lately I am unable to drink because of glandula fever, and find my playing isnt as good at sessions as I get a bit tense sometimes. I think a pint or two can actually relax you and improve your playing but not too much ;) otherwise you may find yourself getting confused

LDbosca

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

I'd be one for drinking during sessions now, I would say it improves to a point and then makes things worse around pint 4 alright. The thing about it is though is that nothing puts you in a better mood than playing and it's always a good buzz going for a few drinks after since you're in such good form!

A friend I play with's girlfriend doesn't really drink at all, I don't know how she takes the standard when it's 5am and we're all lashing out tunes in our drunken state and she's the only one that can still play properly!

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

While not being a total abstainer, I have no problem with not drinking. I have also noticed, from my experience anyway, that the venue for a session, jam, or open mike can be quite different depending on whether alcohol is served. The coffee-house crowd (in general) is more attentive, polite, and encouraging, whereas I have found that in a pub or tavern venue, musicians are more on a competitive basis with bar-room conversation, and soon the volume escalates into the dimension of 'din'........ :P

HallelujahAl

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 05:03:36 PM »

Some of you may be aware that I've just started a session in the church that I run - we lay on food and drinks - though no alcohol of course! As Lester mentioned I'm tt - but that doesn't mean that I want to rain on anyone else's parade. Yes I'm sure there's a magical point at which the consumption of alcohol calms one's nerve and so 'improves' one's playing---but I guess it's a fine line and one that many have experience of tripping over ;)

It is however my experience that alcohol is not necessary to a great atmosphere and the general sense of enjoyment. I have worked over the years with a great many people whose lives have been devastated by alcohol, and I've found it important to find ways of helping them to see that consuming alcohol (or any other noxious substance for that matter) is not the only way to have a great time.

So, roll up, roll up! Music Session & Yorkshire Carols next Sunday at 4pm in Chesterfield (PM or Email me for details if you want them). The drinks are all on me - just there's no alcohol I'm afraid ;)
AL

ACE

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:05:06 PM »

I always found that a few pints speeded me up. So if I was playing for a dance I never touched a drop until after the gig.
But good luck to the tee totallers. Keep it up and don't be put off.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »

We never go through more than a couple of pitchers at my session, between, say 10 to 15 people, and I've never seen anybody playing while sloshed (unlike other sessions I've been to).
  On the other hand, a glass of nicely chilled white Burgundy before dinner on Sunday nights while practicing puts things in a mellow perspective, and the hard twiddly bits don't seem so hard any more...(I keep it at one glass, though, otherwise I enter the realm of self-delusion and I think I'm  better than I really am.) ;) That's my fine line.
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »

I went from social drinking to dependency and am now sober

I don't drink any more for all sorts of reasons and at first I found it difficult going to pub sessions but now I can happily play and drink my soda and lime and I find my old colluders have accepted  and respected my decision. They are my real friends. Those that don't like the 'new me' I've left to it.

I think I started drinking too much to get some 'Dutch Courage' and It worked initially. it also made me act the life and soul of the party which was OK in some situations but ended up getting on peoples nerves and led me into all sorts of scrapes.

I must be honest -I do miss the unexpected inspiration and inspired ideas you can get but the benefits well outweigh them and I'm still playing well when some sessions degenerate.  The creative bit comes in other ways and there are no short cuts.

I feel best with people I know and who I like being with.  A session of strangers and even competitive types is bad news anyway . It's probably about being confident and happy in your own skin. 
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 07:27:52 PM »

I like the last comment about"competitive types" but the worst competition is the drunken audience. If there are say fifteen musicians with a couple of very loud boxes, it isn't too bad, but if the musicians are few and the audience loud.... A friend who is a professional singer-songwriter says "Just turn up the volume and call it a rehearsal."
Given I've never been in a session with amplification, when you can't hear the fiddle beside you I call it time to go home.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »

Audience ???

Sessions I go to, everyone else goes home once we start playing.

I'll leave others to comment on my playing after a few sherberts...

Rob (hic)

melodeon

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »

I don't drink... simply another lifestyle choice along with no nicotine and no drugs

I don't like smoking or second hand smoke..... I don't like druggies and I don't care for drunks

A little alcohol is ok with me.. just behave, and don't drive.

As to sessions and booze.. seems that the music is an excuse to drink in my experience, exceptions of course.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 01:06:09 AM »

I like the last comment about"competitive types" but the worst competition is the drunken audience. If there are say fifteen musicians with a couple of very loud boxes, it isn't too bad, but if the musicians are few and the audience loud.... A friend who is a professional singer-songwriter says "Just turn up the volume and call it a rehearsal."
Given I've never been in a session with amplification, when you can't hear the fiddle beside you I call it time to go home.

I hate an audience, as my hearing is apparently quite susceptible to conversation :( Thankfully the pub that we session in is generally deserted.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

LDbosca

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 01:24:48 AM »

I don't drink... simply another lifestyle choice along with no nicotine and no drugs

I don't like smoking or second hand smoke..... I don't like druggies and I don't care for drunks

A little alcohol is ok with me.. just behave, and don't drive.

As to sessions and booze.. seems that the music is an excuse to drink in my experience, exceptions of course.

You might not even realize who is a "druggie." I wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush and define people by one aspect of their behaviour. I can think of plenty of perfectly nice people and musicians who smoke a joint on occasion.

LeFonque

• Good talker
  • Loffet 3 voice, Loffet Pro 2+
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 01:31:47 AM »

I am not a drinker but not a total abstainer. I could count the number of alcoholic drinks I have had in one year on one hand and have finger left over.

When I was a young bloke I gave it quite a nudge but riding a motorbike and drinking doesn't go down well with me. You tend to spill most of it.

Seriously, when I drink it really alters my perception of thing. In my case I prefer not to drink.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal