Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: alcohol?  (Read 16604 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Re: alcohol?
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »

Guy--

You are right, "state dependant" learning is a real thing.  The only problem is that you will remember the tune but your fingers won't be so good at playing it....
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »

I tend to leave the playing to my fingers, my brain only gets in the way!  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 08:02:28 PM »

..my old man ... loves the Lord and at one time owned a bar himself....

My Great Grandfather wanted a smallholding but all he could find was one that came with a pub. Problem - he was a staunch tea-total Methodist, but he still took it on and my Great Grandmother (who obviously wasn't so tea-total) ran the pub and he worked the smallholding!

Mike   
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »

My Gran used to insult my Grandad in public by saying he only had a small holding!  'Ow we larfed!
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »

Al

Is membership of the Sally Annie exclusively teetotal? Depending on your answer, if answer you do, I will tell you of my grandfather.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Peter G

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Pokerwork, Castagnari Tommy
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »

How do the Morris musicians manage? Harbouring a long term ambition to play for morris I've often thought I would never be able to keep up the rate of beer consumption whiuch seems to be a necessary part of the proceedings. I've noticed a distinct increase in difficulty playing with even a small amount of alcohol; coffee has a typically non-linear effect: improvement with small quantities but too much and deterioration again.  A case of the '
Middle Way' again? Buddhist philosophy suggests abstainance from drugs etc as they are ' a cause of carelessness' which seems appropriate to the squeezebox. (It's not known whether the Buddha played D/G or C etc.?)  (:)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »

The amount of alcohol consumed by Morris Musicians at any one dance-out is a Breed Standard, and set at (Pints/Weight in Stones x Experience) expressed as a percentage.  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »

The amount of alcohol consumed by Morris Musicians at any one dance-out is a Breed Standard, and set at (Pints/Weight in Stones x Experience) expressed as a percentage.  :|glug

Lots, then!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 12:26:25 AM »

How do the Morris musicians manage? Harbouring a long term ambition to play for morris I've often thought I would never be able to keep up the rate of beer consumption whiuch seems to be a necessary part of the proceedings. I've noticed a distinct increase in difficulty playing with even a small amount of alcohol; coffee has a typically non-linear effect: improvement with small quantities but too much and deterioration again.  A case of the '
Middle Way' again? Buddhist philosophy suggests abstainance from drugs etc as they are ' a cause of carelessness' which seems appropriate to the squeezebox. (It's not known whether the Buddha played D/G or C etc.?)  (:)

Interesting one this!... 2 things spring to mind based on getting bladdered whilst playing many times for many years!!.... If you are a follower of a competent band leader then your level of failure due to alchohol is mild! .... If you are the Leader or sole musician! ... its a whole new ballgame! ... The decisions are yours! ... how you play , when to change tune , speed control , quality!... a couple of beers can send this AWOL!.... BUT if you are a very competent player then playing does become easy (6th Sense) 2nd nature , and you can get away with it!

I now have 2 scenarios .. Im the Band Leader / Musical director of 2 Morris sides ... 1 is Border   the other Northwest ... Border ... I can cope with in a virtual coma! ... its 6th sense and instinctive from many years of playing!.... Northwest ... different story .... To lead the band ...the changes ...the tunes ..the control ... responsibility is needed (beer control) ... never used to be like that ... i used to be the follower of the very competent musician (a professional) .. so my bladdered state went unnoticed , I could play ... but did'nt give a stuff about when to change tunes etc ... just waited for the call!..... So to Drink and Play! ..... You need to be a very competent player .... and not in charge!!!!    DEREK
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 12:34:43 AM »

Easy answer is that you don't have to drink :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »

Easy answer is that you don't have to drink :P
It's hard to uphold that particular tradition without a "tincture or twain".

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

I must add, about soda water or tapwater.  As an ex-landlord, I don't think we can expect publicans to afford to let us play and only drink water etc without charging. I offer to pay as much as for a pint of beer as they have rates, rents etc etc etc.  Soft drinks are different , they have their set price.

Musicians often travel and come singly in cars and don't drink much so unless they bring in other people who drink they can be a pain to the landlord and often irritate the locals.. Incidentally, I don't really like the word 'audience' for people in session pubs who don't play .  They are as much part of the pub community as musicians and often add more to the crack.

Exactly what I was wondering - If every musician turning up to a pub session only play music, drinks water and maybe a soda, and at the same time complaints about noisy "audience" who is there for a friendly pint and talk!
Sweden, Skåne

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

The pub session I go to the players drink on the house, Whatever is on tap that is.  However I have never seen a Player inebriated.  Happy and a little buzzed yes, drunk no.  I have only been playing a while though so I haven't seen too many sessions at this pub.  I do however have my share of Guinness or Smitty's when I play, my share is 1-2 pints depending on how long I'm there.
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »

The pub session I go to the players drink on the house, Whatever is on tap that is.  However I have never seen a Player inebriated.  Happy and a little buzzed yes, drunk no.  I have only been playing a while though so I haven't seen too many sessions at this pub.  I do however have my share of Guinness or Smitty's when I play, my share is 1-2 pints depending on how long I'm there.

Wow, you must wither have a very accommodating publican or a very small session :P

We have a very large session and think it common courtesy to patronise the bar. The problem is when people breach this etiquette. It's difficult to tell them without sounding like a prat.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »

We do have a bucket to tip the Bar tender that sits in the center of the players, however I'm not sure how they do of an evening.  The drive I think for the owner of the bar is that the more music he has in the bar the more custom he will get from people who want to come in and hear the music played.  The session generally averages about 10-12 players although on occasion it can get up to 20-25 and then I'm sure he's taking a loss.  I thinnk most people who play are sensible about not having more than a pint or two.  However I'm sure there are one or two who take advantage.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2009, 12:55:31 PM »

Playing in and leading Morris bands over the years, I can recall without any effort......

...during a performance at Durham FF having to elbow a piano accordion player repeatedly (whilst playing melodeon myself) so he would continue to fall backwards against the wall behind us rather than flat on his face as his alcohol level/accordion based centre of gravity dictated.

...losing a fellow melodeon playing band member through a hole in a stage whilst playing at a do in Rotterdam (again alcohol related).

...a planned leap off the stage through the smoke and flash of some stage explosions by myself and two other melodeon players at the end of a border morris spot at a folk festival ceilidh actually turning into myself and one chap leaping off the stage through the smoke as planned and the other guy falling headlong off it, dragging a monitor and leads with him to end up in a heap on the dancefloor - again due to beer consumption.

...and I'm sure that won't be the end of it.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:01:17 PM by Mike Gott »
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »

Makes our sessions look tame, I'd be inclined to 86ing folks with that kind of record.  Although you do sell more pints to that type.  Could be better for the bottom line!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »

I'd be inclined to 86ing folks with that kind of record.
?   ???
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »

Pardon My american Colloquialism (sp)

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

interesting sidetrack though 10.4.
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal