Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: alcohol?  (Read 16573 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Re: alcohol?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 03:19:39 AM »

The gift of God that gladdens the hearts of men, very very rarely improves their playing, IMHO.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »

I must add, about soda water or tapwater.  As an ex-landlord, I don't think we can expect publicans to afford to let us play and only drink water etc without charging. I offer to pay as much as for a pint of beer as they have rates, rents etc etc etc.  Soft drinks are different , they have their set price.

Musicians often travel and come singly in cars and don't drink much so unless they bring in other people who drink they can be a pain to the landlord and often irritate the locals.. Incidentally, I don't really like the word 'audience' for people in session pubs who don't play .  They are as much part of the pub community as musicians and often add more to the crack.

Or should I tack that baic and say craic?
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »

Oh it's incredibly bad manners to session in a pub and not pay for a drink, no question there. But I can't stand punters, craic be damned :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »

Or should I tack that baic and say craic?

Definition Craic - fun, used in Ireland for fun/enjoyment, often when mixed with alcohol and/or music. The word is actually English in origin; it entered into Irish from the English "crack" via Ulster Scots. The Gaelicised spelling craic was then reborrowed into English. The craic spelling, although preferred by most of the Irish people, has garnered some criticism as a faux-Irish word

triskel

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:35 PM »

The craic spelling, although preferred by most of the Irish people, has garnered some criticism as a faux-Irish word

Maybe, but "crack" has taken on a whole new meaning...  :(

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »

Maybe, but "crack" has taken on a whole new meaning...  :(

Well on Tyneside the word crack still means fun entertainment and friendly banter.  We even have an arts listings magazine called The Crack
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 11:23:03 PM »

Danger:  thread drift--

Another great great "english" word to be added to the future "lexicon" for non-UK "english" speakers...
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »

Definition Craic - fun, used in Ireland for fun/enjoyment, often when mixed with alcohol and/or music. The word is actually English in origin; it entered into Irish from the English "crack" via Ulster Scots. The Gaelicised spelling craic was then reborrowed into English. The craic spelling, although preferred by most of the Irish people, has garnered some criticism as a faux-Irish word

We English should regard ourselves lucky that they didn't take our little word and re-spell it - or some other confection. Lovely to be able to make it up as you go along, eh? (Not that English spelling has done a lot for civilisation)  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Howard Jones

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »

A good wine, pint of real ale, or a glass of fine malt are some of the pleasures of life.  And the pub is a wonderful invention.  Part of the pleasure of a pub session lies in the pub itself, and sessions held in other environments often seem to lack a certain atmosphere.

But perhaps that's just a British habit.  For me, and many others, a pint is part of the social event and a pleasure in itself, and the natural environment for a song or music session is the pub.  However in America there doesn't seem to be the same relationship between music and drinking, and more music events seem to take place in people's homes or in "dry" environments.

What we must never forget is that for some people alcohol becomes a trap.  What I find unacceptable is that people who choose not to drink alcohol, whether because of past problems, health concerns or because they are driving, should be put under pressure to do so.

mikesamwild

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »

Well said!
Mike in Sheffield

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »

What I find unacceptable is that people who choose not to drink alcohol, whether because of past problems, health concerns or because they are driving, should be put under pressure to do so.

The main culprit is usually Franz Liszt...
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

melodeon

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »

Stephen Foster died of alcoholism.. an American musical icon...

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »

Personally, particularly in the UK, I'm getting more than a little weary of the "don't drink this, don't eat that" harbingers/nannies, call them what you will, who seem to be whingeing at us from the TV, the papers and generally all around us on a daily basis. Big Brother is certainly watching us at the moment. I like a pint but don't go out to get drunk. I aim for a balanced diet and I'm physically active - but am beginning to get the urge to go out and have a binge drink and a cheeseburger just to spite the miserable, joyless s*ds!! Maybe I can add to that "...at a session..."  ;)

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »

Mike - I am fortunate to actually work with the seemingly joyless professor who's always on the telly saying we drink too much. Having said that some of Ian's patients really have drunk too much. Cirrhosis is not a good way to go.

Anecdote: left my local session and noticed a police car pull in behind me. About 2 miles on he pulled me in "taking too straight a line across that roundabout (he should perhaps read the police driving manual) and 'nearly' clipping a kerb (heavens, I've pased the advanced test twice), sir".  "er, have you been drinking"? The b'stard had followed me all the way from pub car park. "Yes, I've had 2 pints, officer"

We debated about 15 minutes "you know shouldn't drink and drive" "Well, that's not what Parliament in its wisdom put in the law - it's 'not more than 80mg/100cc'"   I was well bored by now and confided that I was an ex-biochemist and had bothered to measured my own blood alcohol - it took over 2 pints (over 2+ hours mind you) to put me over the limit - and that was at a time when I was 60% of my present weight.

Eventually he got bored too and let me drive on - no little bag. I wasn't going to forgive him for what was a random stop and 20 minutes wasted, just before midnight. Complained to his boss and kept writing. Turned out he'd done rather a lot of this. He won't again.

Anyway - it is 80mg/100cc here, and for an average bloke 2 pints in 2 hours won't turn the tube blue. Small chaps and ladies it just might. And don't forget to count that wine with supper.  Drive carefully, and consciiously stick to speed limits. It's safer and the focus stops you relaxing at the wheel. Do watch out carefully for those pedestrians - who can be really pissed. :|glug
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:51:24 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

mikesamwild

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 11:08:29 AM »

My tussle with the demon drink began when I lost my license after 2 pints (honest officer) over an evening's music session.Then I got buses, biked, took taxis and bummed lifts and drank too much cos I wasn't being regulated and it became a habit to be carried on at home.. That says something about my self control and respect for my body and other people at that time.

Why can't they sell do it yourself monitors along with the condoms?.
Mike in Sheffield

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »

What a good idea, but I'm sure they would say that it might encourage people to drink more ???
(a similar argument that some use against the sale of condoms)

That's an interesting story, Mike.

Drive carefully, and consciiously stick to speed limits. It's safer and the focus stops you relaxing at the wheel. Do watch out carefully for those pedestrians - who can be really pissed. :|glug

I have often thought that it is less dangerous (to yourself and others) to drive home at night after a pint or even two (when you are hopefully fairly happy and relaxed) than it is to drive when you are tired, in a rush to get to work or get home, angry about something, distracted by a passenger wittering at you etc, etc.
This isn't to condone anyone driving when they are drunk, but I do wonder what the point is of going to so much trouble to catch and prosecute people who have only drunk small amounts, and are not driving dangerously?
Why do boy-racers and the like never seem to get pulled up?
And why aren't pedestrians automatically stopped and breathalysed if they stagger into the road?

Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

LDbosca

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »

They do! As far as I know there are disposable ones and maybe reusable ones...

mikesamwild

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »

I won't ask the obvious seedy question!

By the way i am very concerned about the people who drive after using drugs It's time we had a test for that.

On a Session site thread there was a long discussion about cocaine and speed users in sessions, I don't come across much of that, do others?  the speed some people play I eckon they do.
Mike in Sheffield

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 10:55:38 AM »

By the way i am very concerned about the people who drive after using drugs It's time we had a test for that.

On a Session site thread there was a long discussion about cocaine and speed users in sessions, I don't come across much of that, do others?  the speed some people play I eckon they do.

It happened quite a lot at one session I used to go to. Sadly, the session no longer exists, which is a shame as it was one of the best I have ever been lucky enough to be involved in!
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »

Quote from: mikesamwild

Please excuse me being unable to divorce myself from my day job for a moment: There's a currently a lot of research going on in this area, but there aren't any biological tests for drugs in the same way that we can test for alcohol. Basically it comes down to the police being suspicious by a driver's behaviour. More details can be found here  (:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal