Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: alcohol?  (Read 16575 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: alcohol?
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »

I believe there's a "96 chord"  ;) - albeit rather "Californian"  8) - if we'd all care to return to music

http://www.synapticsystems.com/studios/lessmp3/gmaj9g69.mp3  (last chord is a 6/9)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:30:54 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2009, 12:56:05 PM »

..86ing folks ...

Certainly if you're involved in public performance with something like morris, professionalism is important. I know somebody who was sacked from a team for falling off the arena stage at Sidmouth one year, but whether in doing so he provided more entertainment than the dancers he was supposed to be playing for, I'm not sure.

As far as sessions are concerned, purely from my point of view, the music that I enjoy most when I'm in a session is the sort of upbeat trad/music hall/popular stuff as played back in the 30's through to the 50's - the immediate era before the folk revival - and I suppose that was very much about working class people playing music for social purposes, usually in a pub, so in a way I just expect having a beer to be part of it. Definitely not a precious artform to be performed delicately over a cup of tea and a fairy cake. However, drinking so much that your behaviour starts to detract from the enjoyment of others is another thing, I think.
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »

Oh aye, I agree it is a pub after all!
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2009, 03:16:48 PM »

..86ing folks ...

Certainly if you're involved in public performance with something like morris, professionalism is important. I know somebody who was sacked from a team for falling off the arena stage at Sidmouth one year, but whether in doing so he provided more entertainment than the dancers he was supposed to be playing for, I'm not sure.

As far as sessions are concerned, purely from my point of view, the music that I enjoy most when I'm in a session is the sort of upbeat trad/music hall/popular stuff as played back in the 30's through to the 50's - the immediate era before the folk revival - and I suppose that was very much about working class people playing music for social purposes, usually in a pub, so in a way I just expect having a beer to be part of it. Definitely not a precious artform to be performed delicately over a cup of tea and a fairy cake. However, drinking so much that your behaviour starts to detract from the enjoyment of others is another thing, I think.

I tend to agree Mike.  I grew up in that sort of musical environment and my missus and I both agree things can get too precious. It was letting your hair down music aftera hard weeks work. One thing though, it was generally not seemly to get stocious in working class pubs and young men were taught how to drink sociably.  Drunken behaviour did go on but it wasn't seen as too cool to get bladdered and wrecked, you'd be asked to leave or grow up.

I fear the community pub's days may be numbered.

And I don't drink booze any more.
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal