Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping fingers close to the buttons  (Read 3077 times)

Curamach

• Good talker
Keeping fingers close to the buttons
« on: February 08, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »

Does anyone have advice, or exercises, to help me keep my fingers closer to the buttons (while playing)? Right now they tend to fly up when another finger is down.

Thanks

Dan

Dan, Hohner HA-113 in D, Hohner C#/D, others! Also fiddle, mostly Irish.

george garside

Re: Keeping fingers close to the buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »

Does anyone have advice, or exercises, to help me keep my fingers closer to the buttons (while playing)? Right now they tend to fly up when another finger is down.
For some reason  the fingers tend to lift if you are keeping them fairly strait i.e. hitting the buttons  with the underside (opposite side to finger nail) of the fingerss.  If the fingers are bent to roughly U shape so that the tips hit the buttons liftoff is sells likely.  It is also easier to gt a good crissp 'staccato' effect that way.  The two middle fingers always tend to rise in sympathy as I understand they are both conncted to the same bit of string. 

However the fingers flying up should not be seen as a problem  as getting them well clear of the buttons is the secret of 'crisp' playing.  If all 4 fingers are resting loosely on the appropriate buttons then however far they rise they will land in the right place.  That is provided you have moved  the hand up or down the keyboard so that there is  a finger ready over the button before you need it rather than trying a quick sideways stretch at the last minute.

If you really feel your figners need strict training it can be done anywhere at any time by simply pressing them lightly on something or anything - table, desk, arm of chair, knee, side of steering wheel etc etc and lifting & replacing them firmly one at a time both 1234  and in any other order .

george
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 08:03:36 PM by theo »
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Jeremy Burnett

• Regular debater
Re: Keeping fingers close to the buttons
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:42:15 PM »

There is an exercise I was shown by Ed Rennie at a Devon Squeezebox workshop, I believe it is used by piano players.
Place your fingertips palm down on the edge of a table in front of you.Then one hand at a time drop first your ring and first fingers straight down at the same time, leaving the other two on the table edge, then lift them up place and them back on the table edge and drop the other two fingers together, repeat getting faster!! Difficult to describe and quite tricky to do at first.Then start doing both hands at the same time. Eventually try doing different sets fingers on each hand at the same time.According to Ed this makes the brain think separately left and right thus basses become easier, time will tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal