Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 61   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Future Tunes Thread  (Read 307621 times)

arty

Re: Suggestions for Future Tunes Thread
« Reply #1040 on: July 24, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »

Can I suggest a beautiful Swedish Waltz - 'Josefins Dopvals', which is actually very well known and very lovely! Not much on YouTube on melodeon but I did find this nice version: https://youtu.be/wxSrhXiXum0

I would second this, not just because it is one of the most beautiful waltzes in the world, but because it is my wife's favorite tun. Did I mention that I got married in March?

No - you kept that very quiet Gary! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  :D

That is very beautiful Janneke, I love the combination of accordion and ukulele!
Can I suggest a beautiful Swedish Waltz - 'Josefins Dopvals', which is actually very well known and very lovely! Not much on YouTube on melodeon but I did find this nice version: https://youtu.be/wxSrhXiXum0

I agree. I learned the tune by my teacher Frans Tromp in Holland
https://youtu.be/d8T9LiRwoMo
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Peadar

« Reply #1041 on: July 25, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »

On the question of Themes: The centenary of Peter Wyper's death falls in September 2020.

Suggestion for September 2020 Theme of the month: Peter Wyper's Tunes / Wyper Brother's Tunes

Miner, champion accordionist, music seller and publisher.  Originator of the "inside-out" method of playing semitone boxes and of the B/C semitone box itself,  in 1902/03 probably the first person ever to produce recordings of accordion music. In 1915 patented an improved keyboard layout which is still used today on 3rd button start semi-tone boxes (e.g. Hohner Morgane H/C)

His (probably co-authored with his brother) a tutorial for the 19 key melodeon. Though undated is a valuable source book for  tunes popular in the West of Scotland ( i.e. industrial Strathclyde) at the turn of the 20th century.

There is/was a pdf of the Tutorial on Melnet if I can find it again.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #1042 on: July 25, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »

There is/was a pdf of the Tutorial on Melnet if I can find it again.

You're right. Here's a post from someone called Peader.

...Another book (available for the price of printing the pdf is) Wyper's Tutorial for 19 key melodeon here:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,catalogues.html...
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #1043 on: July 27, 2020, 02:50:26 AM »

I would second this, not just because it is one of the most beautiful waltzes in the world, but because it is my wife's favorite tun. Did I mention that I got married in March?

No - you kept that very quiet Gary! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  :D

That's unlike me! Thanks!
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #1044 on: August 12, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »

I don't know how lockdown and all the weird stuff that's happening in the world is affecting others but I have barely picked up a melodeon for months.  I don't seem to have had any love for it as we can't currently play together,and with the loss of regular playing opportunities my confidence seems to have gone too.

Then, just the other day, I was listening to Spiers and Boden over t'internet just to test a new speaker and came across this little gem. It's long been a favourite and was vaguely on my 'to learn' list for a while.

Anyhow, happily the tune was to be found in 'Jiggery Pokerwork' and it is an absolute joy to play. There is so much morris in this tune, in fact I feel some sort of dance is likely to break out in the house soon.

In order to share the joy, may I suggest 'Gooseberry Bush' by John Spiers for ToTM.
Gooseberry Bush
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #1045 on: August 13, 2020, 06:28:27 PM »

Anyhow, happily the tune was to be found in 'Jiggery Pokerwork' and it is an absolute joy to play. There is so much morris in this tune, in fact I feel some sort of dance is likely to break out in the house soon.

In order to share the joy, may I suggest 'Gooseberry Bush' by John Spiers for ToTM.
Gooseberry Bush

Well that certainly woke up my inner Cotswold.... :M...though more likely to be :|glug these days...
Lovely...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #1046 on: August 13, 2020, 07:15:29 PM »

Well that certainly woke up my inner Cotswold.... :M...though more likely to be :|glug these days...
Lovely...

Absolutely. Luvly innit Baz? Every time I play it, it just gets lumpier and lumpier.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #1047 on: August 13, 2020, 07:59:05 PM »

Gooseberry Bush
Yes, that was brilliant! Thanks for sharing, Helena! Hope you get your box love back soon...

What melodeon is John Spiers playing? It looks like an Eric Martin 2-row 3-voice LMM. Sounds fabulous!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #1048 on: August 13, 2020, 08:05:07 PM »

What melodeon is John Spiers playing? It looks like an Eric Martin 2-row 3-voice LMM. Sounds fabulous!

Yep! (IFAIK)
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #1049 on: August 14, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »

Yep! (IFAIK)

I think it's the same model as Katie Howson's fabled Green 'Un...but I may be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time...

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #1050 on: August 14, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »

I think it's the same model as Katie Howson's fabled Green 'Un...but I may be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time...
I think you are right, Baz!

When it first came up for sale at Witney some years ago, I, like an idiot, turned down the chance to buy the 'Green 'Un' , thinking (needlessly) it would need too much work to get it tuned, etc. Katie then went for it a little while later, and the rest (as they say) is history. She has done great things with it though, and I don't begrudge it her at all!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #1051 on: August 23, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »

More gooseberry bushes....

Just to prove my nomination can be played by mere mortals, Gooseberry Bush

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
« Reply #1052 on: August 26, 2020, 03:25:22 PM »

On the question of Themes: The centenary of Peter Wyper's death falls in September 2020.
Suggestion for September 2020 Theme of the month: Peter Wyper's Tunes / Wyper Brother's Tunes
Miner, champion accordionist, music seller and publisher.  Originator of the "inside-out" method of playing semitone boxes and of the B/C semitone box itself,  in 1902/03 probably the first person ever to produce recordings of accordion music. In 1915 patented an improved keyboard layout which is still used today on 3rd button start semi-tone boxes (e.g. Hohner Morgane H/C)
His (probably co-authored with his brother) a tutorial for the 19 key melodeon. Though undated is a valuable source book for  tunes popular in the West of Scotland ( i.e. industrial Strathclyde) at the turn of the 20th century.

I'd second that.  A very appropriate time to be remembering Messrs Wyper and using the great melodeon.net resource that is the Wyper tutor.  It contains a good range of tunes at all levels, including some instantly recognisable by title without reference to the dots.  As, Peadar says, Peter's brother played too, and Mustrad informs me there's even some debate about which of them played on some of the recordings.  As an aside, I can't help being reminded of the old limerick:

The melodeon brothers, the Wypers
Were shot in the rear by some snipers.
When they vented their air
Through the holes that were there,
They confounded the Cameron pipers.
(Note: the original didn't say "rear")

Another suggestion from a relative newcomer to this community:  have we ever had tunes relating to jobs/professions/callings?  I can't find it in the archive.  There are lots of musical beggars, chimney sweeps, cooks, farmers, fishermen, jockeys, loss adjusters (well, maybe not loss adjusters), maids, masons, miners, parsons & priests, sailors, shepherds, soldiers, tailors, thatchers, tinkers, weavers. "Sets of four couples for The Quantity Surveyor's Quadrille."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:27:57 PM by CAB »
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #1053 on: August 27, 2020, 12:44:54 PM »

The melodeon brothers, the Wypers
Were shot in the rear by some snipers.
When they vented their air
Through the holes that were there,
They confounded the Cameron pipers.
(Note: the original didn't say "rear")

Another suggestion from a relative newcomer to this community:  have we ever had tunes relating to jobs/professions/callings?  I can't find it in the archive.  There are lots of musical beggars, chimney sweeps, cooks, farmers, fishermen, jockeys, loss adjusters (well, maybe not loss adjusters), maids, masons, miners, parsons & priests, sailors, shepherds, soldiers, tailors, thatchers, tinkers, weavers. "Sets of four couples for The Quantity Surveyor's Quadrille."

I think that's a splendid idea...and love the limerick... :|glug

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #1054 on: August 27, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »

Another suggestion from a relative newcomer to this community:  have we ever had tunes relating to jobs/professions/callings? ...

Great idea.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #1055 on: August 27, 2020, 04:16:31 PM »

Another suggestion from a relative newcomer to this community:  have we ever had tunes relating to jobs/professions/callings? ...

Great idea.

Nope, not done that yet; great idea indeed! My concern with the Peter Wyper idea (and thanks for suggesting it!) is that it's quite constraining on what people can play. I have considered at some point doing a theme at some point where we cover stuff written by those who have passed away which could include this and a lot more.

Peadar

« Reply #1056 on: August 27, 2020, 11:05:31 PM »

My concern with the Peter Wyper idea (and thanks for suggesting it!) is that it's quite constraining on what people can play.

Any more constraining than "Tunes Collected by Cecil Sharp" (February 2014), or "Tunes of Jimmy Shand" (May 2015)?

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #1057 on: August 30, 2020, 01:33:15 AM »

Hi Folks,
I'd love to see what we melodeoners can do with the Beeswing Hornpipe by James Hill.

It's sorely underrepresented on the melodeon. I have been whittling away at it in the key of G on a DG, and with some thinking on the fingerings (I've attached image, you decide if it's confusing or helpful), it's turning out to be quite playable- though not presentable quite yet~!

https://thesession.org/tunes/945

Without variations on an Anglo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOAsUuzZAA
And spirited fiddle performance with variations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmRqTW1Jo7U
Castagnari Benny GC#, Mory DG#, Geordy GC, Mignon C
Cajun Custom in C by L'Anse Grise
Hohner Pokerwork GC and DG
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #1058 on: August 30, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »

My concern with the Peter Wyper idea (and thanks for suggesting it!) is that it's quite constraining on what people can play.

Any more constraining than "Tunes Collected by Cecil Sharp" (February 2014), or "Tunes of Jimmy Shand" (May 2015)?

Not terribly successful months though. There's a rather wider repertoire in Peter Wyper's books though, so not ruling it out. Still considering...

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #1059 on: August 30, 2020, 03:09:30 PM »

Tunes related to jobs in the Wyper collection? >:E >:E >:E
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 61   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal