Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 61   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Future Tunes Thread  (Read 306041 times)

arty

Re: Suggestions for Future Tunes Thread
« Reply #840 on: September 09, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »

Could we have something of Stephane Delicq's please? I would suggest "La Discrete" which, in my view, is a masterpiece for melodeon: http://youtu.be/zg_SwNw-yJw
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #841 on: September 09, 2016, 11:21:28 AM »

Could we have something of Stephane Delicq's please? I would suggest "La Discrete" which, in my view, is a masterpiece for melodeon: http://youtu.be/zg_SwNw-yJw

It is, but it's freakishly difficult in my opinion... or at least I find it so. It also needs accidentals, which not everyone has...

May I suggest this one instead, Manette - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Uu8p7Lk78

Lovely tune; makes a nice jig (it was written as a Rondeau) and there's a 5/4 version too. I don't have a box to hand but I think it has an accidental in it too, but it can be played around/skipped if necessary.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #842 on: September 09, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

I actually find Discrete straightforward. This is not a boast, as I know my many limitations - so I am curious to know why this works for me.
It could be:
1 - A high level of motivation to learn it
2 - the reversals I have make it lie well
Manette is more challenging for me.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

« Reply #843 on: September 09, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »

Thanks Clive....'fiendishly difficult' - you have made me terrified now, as I have just put La Discrete at the top of my 'to learn' list.
Actually, I would be very happy with any of Stephane Delicq's tunes. The one you suggest, Manette, seems fraught with difficulties as well.

I have recorded 'Les Amities', which is beautiful and simple really. With just one accidental needed, it is also good practice for the left hand as the time signature is 8/8....so, 1,2,3, 1,2,3 1,2. This is me playing it, (sorry for the self promotion). http://youtu.be/lz3aKkNGgkk

Or, Valse pour Michel is gorgeous and with no accidentals. Here it is played through quite slowly: http://youtu.be/6J-IUvKJdzI

Cheers Clive, thanks for your interest. David.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #844 on: September 09, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »

Could we have something of Stephane Delicq's please?

Support, support.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #845 on: September 09, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »

Do you all promise to learn, play and post a recording?  :D

Re: La Discrete - the bit that I really struggle with is the run down at the end of the A music; it doesn't help of course that all of my melodeons have wildly different accidental setups! I've got a youtube of me playing it on my youtube channel (on a G/C Hohner with the accidental down the low end). I did it once, but I wouldn't do it in public without practicing it! It's a *bit* easier on the Van der Aa which has the accidental in the right direction on the 3rd row. Still hard though. You're all tough as nails!   :o

arty

« Reply #846 on: September 09, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »

Well, I promise! I'm going to do it anyway because I can't play Stephane Delicq without learning La Discrete can I? I shall start tonight 😊

JM

« Reply #847 on: September 09, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »

More support for a Delicq tune.   

Maybe an easier Delicq as an entry into that land?  Loubov is on the simpler end, though I could imagine players better than I could make much more of it than I could.  Or maybe its just theme of the month, and members could just choose one?

JM

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #848 on: September 09, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »

More support for a Delicq tune here. I'm happy with La Discrete because I already did it last month in the tunes you've just learned thread! But wasn't Nadiejda suggested some pages back and not picked up? It doesn't have accidentals and as previously pointed out, is fairly straightforward to learn but lots of scope for adding extras, sixths etc
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:38:46 AM by heartshaped1 »
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

arty

« Reply #849 on: September 12, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »

It is, but it's freakishly difficult in my opinion... or at least I find it so. It also needs accidentals, which not everyone has...

Having spent time over the weekend with La Discrete, it really isn't too much of a problem. Yes there are a couple of tricky bits but nothing that some practice won't smooth out. Having watched your video Clive, I respectfully suggest that, if you used your thumb to reach the accidental at the end of the 'A' part, you would find it easier. Also, in the 'B' section, it is essential to use the thumb to play the sixths.
Heartshaped1 is doing it very well in her video posted on the "tunes just learned" thread.

playandteach

« Reply #850 on: September 12, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »

Of course, I learnt it on a 2+2 row which makes it very comfortable.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #851 on: September 12, 2016, 07:16:43 PM »

I respectfully think you are right :-) I've enjoyed the Nadeija (sp?) thread recently - missed it first time round - I think given the quality of the demonstrations in that thread it would make a very good ToTM .

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #852 on: October 31, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »

I'd like to nominate 'Bagpipers' for a future ToTM, I fell in love with this tune when I heard it on the second Leveret album and again when Lady Maisery released a version of it.

X:145
T:Bagpipers
M:2/4
L:1/8
Q:1/2=60
S:Wm.Mittell's MS, New Romney,Kent,1799
O:England
A:Kent
F:http://richardrobinson.tunebook.org.uk/Tune/9995
K:D
A|\
(B/c/d d)c|B3A|(B>ABc)|(d/c/d/e/ d)A|\
(B/c/d d)c|B3A|(B>A)(Bc)|d2d:|!
|:e|(f/g/a a)f|(f2e2)|(f/g/f/g/) aa|\
(f/e/f/g/ a)a|(B/c/d d)c|B3A|(B>A)(Bc)|d2d:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #853 on: November 20, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »

I'd like to nominate 'Bagpipers' for a future ToTM, I fell in love with this tune when I heard it on the second Leveret album and again when Lady Maisery released a version of it.

I like this suggestion.

playandteach

« Reply #854 on: November 20, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »

The next tune to pop up on youtube after I listened to Bagpipers was Sylvia's Serenade (seems a bit like the Purcell tune used for Britten's Young Person's Guide). Thanks for the link.

diatosoldo

• Respected Sage
  • Castagnari Benny, Dino Baffetti 85LN
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo
« Reply #855 on: December 02, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »

what about "the lonesome boatman" which I discovered recently ?
It seems to be an irish tune for whistles or flutes, but I listened to a beautiful rendering with a melodeon, on youtube, I do like it.
♫ ♪  I'm french ♫ ♪
G/C Castagnari Benny
A/D Dino Baffetti 85LN
A/D Thierry Bennetoux
http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo

arty

« Reply #856 on: December 02, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »

This is a link to The Lonesome Boatman, which diatosoldo has suggested:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tkaOO4Dwc

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #857 on: December 18, 2016, 03:13:11 PM »

Please could we try a delightful schottische called "Rue des Prés" composed by Stéphane Durand.
It's covered in a recent topic headed "Tune Info Wanted: Rue de Pres".
Having voted for many tunes in order to learn from you Guys, it's time to pluck up courage and post my first effort. Please make me do it with this tune. 

playandteach

« Reply #858 on: December 18, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »

what about "the lonesome boatman" which I discovered recently ?
It seems to be an irish tune for whistles or flutes, but I listened to a beautiful rendering with a melodeon, on youtube, I do like it.
Seems a beautiful tune, I can't work out from my scanty research if it was written along with a poem - or indeed whether it has been adopted or intended for political / historical events? Was it written in the 60s or does it go back further than that?

Lyra

« Reply #859 on: December 18, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »

Seems a beautiful tune, I can't work out from my scanty research if it was written along with a poem - or indeed whether it has been adopted or intended for political / historical events? Was it written in the 60s or does it go back further than that?
Finbar Furey wrote this in 1968, originally on a 5 string banjo, although I've always heard it as a whistle tune, which makes it hard for me to see how it would fit on a melodeon - specifically the B that relies heavily on bending the notes. It's been used a lot in TV and films apparently (citation needed ;) )
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 61   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal