Discussions > Instrument Makes and Models

Hohner Modell 234, 235, 255 and other prewar clubs with 4 (+) voices

(1/15) > >>

pgroff:
Hi all,

Can anyone help me learn more about these beautifully crafted accordions, ca. 1928 - 1930s?

Here is a completed auction for what is described as a "Hohner 235" (but from the 3 couplers behind the keyboard I suspect it may be a Modell 255):

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330274141717

Here is a slightly less fancy box but in extraordinarily fine condition. Note the 2 couplers and the bellows lock switch behind the keyboard:

pgroff:
Here are some more pics of the last accordion shown above, showing the small coupler lever on the bass grille. The bass buttons on this accordion are small pearl ones, like the melody keys of a Preciosa. The listed specifications of Hohner's Modell 234 (1928 - 1935) fit most of the features of this accordion, except this accordion has 10 rather than 8 basses. The extra basses provide a few dominant seventh chords. The accordion is LMMM, in Bb/Eb, and with a factory tuning of A 440 (blocks marked 880).

Lester:
Pete Grassby had one on his stall at Witney this year. According to his Hohner catalogue it was a top of the range box from the era you quoted. Did not try it myself as a certain Mr Kirkpatrick seemed to be attracted to it and was taking it for a test drive, made an enormous sound, very Hohner but with out the mechanical accompaniment.

pgroff:
Lester,

That I would have liked to hear. Judging from the huge road case he was carrying on tour, a few years back when I met up with him in California, he must be comfortable with large boxes.

Believe it or not, this 4 voice is balanced so well it handles like a much smaller box and I have been playing the Bb row like a melodeon. Enormous sound is right -- as well as the bassoon reed and 3 voice musette, it has Helikon basses and the option of lots of voices in the chords.

PG

triskel:
Paul,

I had a similar one to yours, maybe 30 years ago, though it was in C/F with only 8 basses. The person I bought it from told me it had belonged to a man who was a champion player in the '30s. Nielsen tuned it for me and reckoned the reeds (stamped "HOHNER") were the firm's best quality from before the War.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version