Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice cross-row exercise on a D/G  (Read 2456 times)

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
Nice cross-row exercise on a D/G
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:50:33 AM »

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:00:01 AM by qubcois »
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F, HA112 in C,
riced-up de-branded Ariette, Hohner Erica A/D

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
  • Play D/G, C/C#, B/C/C#, run Barn-dance band
Re: Nice cross-row exercise on a D/G
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:59:45 PM »

I've been looking at this page for some time now and waiting for some other contributions to the topic of cross-rowing on a D/G. It's taken me a very long time to really get into cross-rowing (30 + years) and it has really only happened in the last 2 - 3 years I suppose. The odd note here and here. First tune I played where I needed to use notes from the other row was "Dashing white Sergeant" I've always played the bases so am quite surprised that I never bothered seriously. Chose my tunes carefully I suppose. However I'm doing it all the time now and looking for tunes that need it. My main reason, as ever, is to get the base end right. Taking the 3rd out of the 'A' bass to give me 'A minor' option has pushed me on I think. I only have one low 'D' now and that is on the 'D' row, my other one gives me a useful low 'E' on the 'G' row. That eally comes into it's own very often.
My suggested tune for cross-row playing is "King of the Fairies". It's good for the runs up in many bars but I've found it useful in the penultimate bar, the run down from B to E with the 'B' chord starting (on the Push)  & finishing with Eminor. That run down comes into many tunes and I no longer have to think about it.

Bryson

• Regular debater
  • Salty Connemara II Pokerwork n Lilly
    • School Science
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »

I started cross rowing last year after getting some tips at the Folk Camp Germany (see calendar for details). I have now set up a system, of sorts, which I use to analyse any tune I want to learn. The first two I did were Planxty Irwin and Sheebeg Sheemore. Here is a link to a pdf file showing my "analysis".

http://www.englisch724.de/MUSIC/cross_rowing_Planxty_Irwin_and_Sheebeg_Sheemore.pdf

The numbering for the chords and basses looks a little strange but is due to the fact I play a Salterelle Connemara II with 12 basses and, for my convenience, I numbered the buttons 1 to 6(outside) and 7 to 12 for the inside.

A Blackburn Rovers fan since 1957 :( cross rowing on a D/G melodeon since 2007

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »

Interesting... I too use a notation "system" with colors as a reminder of what the "best" fingering is, also giving warnings on bellows issues.

Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F, HA112 in C,
riced-up de-branded Ariette, Hohner Erica A/D

Tony Gibbons

• Good talker
  • Play D/G, C/C#, B/C/C#, run Barn-dance band
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »

Her'es a version of Johnny Cope which also gives cross-row playing for bar 1 (EFGA | B2 on the pull) & bar 7 (BAGF on the push). Similar runs to those in "King of the Fairies".
T: Johnny Cope
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: Reel
K: Em
B,2E2 EFGA | B2E2 E2FE | D2D2 DEFG | A2D2 F2ED | B,2E2 EFGA | B2E2 E2FE | D2d2 BAGF | E6 E2 :||
G3A G2F2 | GFGA B2AG | F2D2 A2D2 | FGAB A2GF | GFGA B2e2 | dBAB d2FE | D2d2 BAGF | E6 E2 :||
E2e2 e2de | f2e2 e2Bc | dc^de fgfe | dBAB d2A2 | B2e2 e2de | f2e2 egfe | d2A2 BAGF | E6 E2 :||
Plenty of cross-rowing and row changing throughout this tune.

My fingers now fly over those runs after playing a) "King of the Fairies" slowly being a hornpipe then b) "Johnny Cope" somewhat faster being a steady reel of the Scottish type.
Recently I found that I was able to play an irish reel "Last House in Connaught" with greater ease (much faster han the others). I had struggled with a particular run-up but work on the first two has paid off but it has taken many months. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.