Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still struggling with the technology - help!  (Read 5307 times)

Chris Brimley

Still struggling with the technology - help!
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:41:49 AM »

I've read all the comments, and tried everything I can think of, but I still can't translate my daughter's (fairly cheap) Samsung Camcorder MP4 recordings into WMV or other recordings that I can easily edit, and put onto Youtube in an unsquashed format - can anyone help?

I've tried lots of freebie software to recode, but it either puts a logo in the middle, or it truncates the clip halfway, or it costs the earth to buy the software.

Samsung probably gave us a CD with the software on, but my daughter has lost it if so.

I've tried their website, but that was a fat lot of use.  You can get a pdf version of the instruction manual, but that doesn't give any help on this issue.

Vista will run it, but squashes it up.

XP won't run it at all.

I keep trying to download the 'how to make a movie' guide, but it stops at 68% and won't let me open it.

If I were to feed it directly into Youtube, I don't think I can edit it like I can with WMM, can I?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Still struggling with the technology - help!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »

Is there a way of editing 'in camera'?
(I've just found my little digital camera can do that)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »

I use Windows Live Movie Maker, it's free, runs on XP/Vista/W7 , seems to read most movie formats and will directly upload to YouTube.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »

You might want to give Streamclip (free, at http://www.squared5.com/) a try.  It's not an editor (beyond basic top-and-tailing), but it will convert files between formats very effectively, giving you lots of control over what you produce.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »

I use Windows Live Movie Maker, it's free, runs on XP/Vista/W7 , seems to read most movie formats and will directly upload to YouTube.

I downloaded this but  it choked on my camera's output of .mov files. These seem to want to run in quicktime

"Missing codec" It really does sound like creatures from Dr Who sometimes. ???
  _       _    _      _ 

Kautilya

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »

I downloaded this but  it choked on my camera's output of .mov files. These seem to want to run in quicktime

"Missing codec" It really does sound like creatures from Dr Who sometimes. ???

Some suggest this:

http://media-convert.com/

however you should search around FIRST to see if there any negative comments about the software/the software writers of it.

It seems it is converted on their system remotely so I dont know how they are covering costs.

It seems MP4 is  an Apple Mac format, hence issues with conversion software for PCs running on Windows etc.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »

GbH, thanks, I've tried this once before, but I've been struggling with this download again - it takes 3 hours to convert the file, and stops near the end.  And also it says it's going to put a logo in the middle of the screen.  Also, I need the latest Quicktime - but the last time I accepted an update from Quicktime there was an incompatibility with my Windows version which I only managed to resolve eventually by restoring to an earlier boot.  Any clues as to why it works for you?

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »

GbH, thanks, I've tried this once before, but I've been struggling with this download again - it takes 3 hours to convert the file, and stops near the end.  And also it says it's going to put a logo in the middle of the screen.  Also, I need the latest Quicktime - but the last time I accepted an update from Quicktime there was an incompatibility with my Windows version which I only managed to resolve eventually by restoring to an earlier boot.  Any clues as to why it works for you?

Well, I've no idea at all about the logo issue.  I've never seen any mention of it, nor any sign of one being output.  As the software appears to be freeware, I'm a bit confused as to why that would have come up.

The Quicktime problem doesn't surprise me, though.  I had an issue with this myself, when I was using source .mov files.  However, there were instructions on how to work around it at that time and a quick look at the site shows there are still some notes about that.  I'm using the Windows version and downloaded it fresh a month or so back, directly after getting Windows 7.  So far, it's worked fine, without any need for adjustment.  Having said that, though, I'm converting from .avi to .mp4, so perhaps that path is less likely to casue problems.  The site does say that some graphics cards can cause problems and, when this is the case, you need to turn off DirectDraw.  Could that be something to do with it?
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:04:13 PM »

Hi

I have just bought a Samsung WB500 and have just done a test video of the dog. At 640 x 480 and a 30 frame rate it has produced a 51.2 MB MPEG-4 file for just under 2 minutes. This has loaded into Windows Live Movie Maker with no conversion. It says it can upload it to YouTube, so I am pleased with Lester's suggestion.

I'm using Windows 7.

Graham

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »

I've read all the comments, and tried everything I can think of, but I still can't translate my daughter's (fairly cheap) Samsung Camcorder MP4 recordings into WMV or other recordings that I can easily edit, and put onto Youtube in an unsquashed format - can anyone help?
Samsung probably gave us a CD with the software on, but my daughter has lost it if so....
I've tried their website, but that was a fat lot of use.  You can get a pdf version of the instruction manual, but that doesn't give any help on this issue.
Any thoughts gratefully received!

If this is any help, my Samsung NV100HD camera came with a CD with an editing suite called 'Samung Master' - actually produced by someone called Stoik Imaging (who now keep offering me upgrades...). Looking at Stoik's website, you seem to be able to download a free version of their editing software - which is likely similar to what your daughter would have had.

That said, I have been struggling myself to use the 'Samsung Master' suite as it is not self-explanatory, and, as you say, Samsung's instruction manuals don't give any details. I agree that MP4's won't load into WMM - my partner says it's because Microsoft won't have paid for the codec from who ever developed this format. And Windows XP doesn't seem to support Windows Live Movie Maker.

Your MP4's should be able to upload direct to YouTube - but I haven't yet been able to do any editing on mine, apart from some very rudimentary trimming on the camera itself.

Diane

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:54:16 AM »

Hi Chris, if you are still unsorted on this problem, I can say that I found a freeware product that successfully converts .mov files into avi. It is called Mp4Cam2Avi. This allows me to convert video files from my pocket camera (typically a .mov or mp4 file) to an Avi which is perfect fodder for Windows Movie Maker. It takes a bit of fiddling to figure out, but once done, it's a snap. You can do batch conversions quite quickly and the conversion time for a 2 min. tune is only about 30 sec. or less on my antique PC. All the best!!

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »

For all video conversion stuff I'm using FFmpeg with WinFF
It is quite easy to use and works fine.
http://winff.org/html_new/
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

Kautilya

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »

For all video conversion stuff I'm using FFmpeg with WinFF
It is quite easy to use and works fine.
http://winff.org/html_new/
SOUND??? to 'pretend' video in youtube failed.
I followed this route (on XP PC). You make a picture in Windows MOvie Maker (using Windows Movie Maker then you add your sound only recording after the pictuyre and this produces an AVI file.
BUT it would not upload.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFQUWa6cN14

Any other clever routes for simple people? :-[

(I first have to convert a Sony MemoryStickVoice (MSV) file into a midi or wav which is working with latest Sony digital sound editor download) http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/downloads/downloads.aspx?l=en&ct=ICD&f=MSVE_203
that is upgrade.  Mine is an old ICD 515 machine).
tks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:03:24 AM by Kautilya »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal