Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blunt instrument  (Read 2837 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
blunt instrument
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »

Firstly I'd like to recommend GBH's latest video

Here's another try at a snowman-themed Christmas song, albeit with a (very!) different approach... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k1GXQIRtS0

I used to do very much the same myself.  The trick I'll describe works better with smaller instrument. Sadly my sister Kate forgot to bring my Lily up when she came for 'Christmas' last sunday.  A beer glass makes for a nice party trick. I've personally never attempted a 'snowball' - those cocktail glasses are so small y'know ...

... but best (use small box, long straps, and use the G row) by far is to place small kid on your lap, set off a solid bass riff with your left hand and pick out a mouth organ sort of tune with the child's fist. The Grand Old Duke of York was a great favourite with my own brood, and their friends.  They somehow really believe they are playing it!

(Just in case some of the older farts here have grandchildren coming) ....
  _       _    _      _ 

GbH

• GbH Online
Re: blunt instrument
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »

Thanks Chris.  Not just for the kind recommendation, but for making me realise that I'm not the only one that plays with silly stuff like that.   (:)

When using my favourite sized ball, my Serelin Serellin red melodeon works well because the buttons are larger, whereas the Mengascini's more compact keyboard isn't so good.  However, I've tried using a smaller, softer ball and that was bettter suited to the Giordy - but this isn't as visually impressive and the vibrato effect doesn't really work.  I guess it comes down to experimentation.  One other thing I've tried is to use a Shaky Egg...  :o

The trick with a child sounds promising - something to experiment with, perhaps.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:01:55 AM »

Thanks Chris.  Not just for the kind recommendation, but for making me realise that I'm not the only one that plays with silly stuff like that.   (:)

Now there's a backhanded compliment if I've ever heard one!

Oops, I didn't think of it like that.   :|bl 

I suppose it depends on whether you consider sillyness to be a criticism or an art form.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »

I suppose it depends on whether you consider sillyness to be a criticism or an art form.
[/quote]

Definitely an art form....
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »

Well done, GbH!  That's very fun!  :D

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »

By following the links on the YouTube statistics page, I now find that my video is being used on a mandolin forum as evidence that 'you don't need no stinkin scales' (see http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57629&page=6). 

Oh dear, I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about this...   :(

...but only a little bit   >:E

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »

By following the links on the YouTube statistics page, I now find that my video is being used on a mandolin forum as evidence that 'you don't need no stinkin scales' (see http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57629&page=6).  

Oh dear, I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about this...   :(

...but only a little bit   >:E

That would be my fault..  ::)

I also posted it here--on a melodeon group that I host: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=118
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 05:17:45 PM by catty »

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:48:49 PM »

That would be my fault..  ::)

That's OK - thanks for spreading the word!  It's fun to imagine what unsuspecting mandolin players might make of it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal