Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Addendum to various B/C v's C#/D threads.  (Read 4382 times)

Keithypete.

Addendum to various B/C v's C#/D threads.
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »

I got my B/C by what you might call a bizarre quirk of fate, that is to say if a C#/D had been on offer instead I would now be playing one of those, and now pondering the mysteries of the B/C system. The nearest I've come to a C#/D is e three row English chromatic - G row on the inside. Now that does seem pointless - from my point of view of wanting a small, light box with as few rows as possible, which is 2, until someone develops, builds and markets the one row with a whammy-bar.
   I'm fairly sure Jackie Daly is playing C#/D in this video:     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91QryThu00&feature=PlayList&p=400D4FC698BC7867&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

I'm learning this set of Polkas in G & in 'the people's Key - A major', which is becoming more fluent as the pennies make their descent one by one.
I don't know how much stuff is actually played in G in Ireland, but it seems that alot of the stuff we play in G over here - UK - is played in A over there. Certainly when searching for music a lot of stuff turns out to be in A rather than G. Obviously that says something about English sessions, and what is 'session-friendly' over here may put one at a dis-advantage over there, the legendary hospitality notwithstanding. I could be wrong. If that is the case, to my mind a C#/D probably makes more sense. I don't know what that says about B/C brain etc. So maybe it is a trend and people half a century hence will talk about 'when they used to play B/C alot in Ireland'. I understand C#/D is gaining popularity rapidly but I doubt B/C will ever die out - why should it?
   I think its fairly likely that having put the time and effort to get this far I will stick with B/C, but I think I've got my head round the C#/D thing without having ever picked one up - maybe that's a kind of perverted snobbery. Just to hedge one's bets however, I'm playing a bit more in F so should I ever make the switch, G will be a bit easier. Alas, finances dictate that I can only have one box at a time - so does the missus. At least if I go down this route if I ever move to Scotland I can add a C# row & bolt a small sideboard or wardrobe on to lefthand side and fill it with reeds. (Only joking - still no 'tongue in cheek' thingy)

Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

LDbosca

Re: Addendum to various B/C v's C#/D threads.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »

I don't know how much stuff is actually played in G in Ireland, but it seems that alot of the stuff we play in G over here - UK - is played in A over there.    
G and D are definitely the main keys over here (Ireland), the amount of tunes in G I (and others at sessions) play greatly out number those in A. There's still a few in A and of course the old A mixolydian. I reckon that A's become popular in recent years due to it's brightness and lift...see people putting reels that were in D into E!

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:41:04 PM »

Perhaps I am just sloppy--I certainly admit to finding it difficult to play at the speed of some sessions--but I don't find a problem playing in A on the BC box. Am I missing something?
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »

I got my B/C by what you might call a bizarre quirk of fate, that is to say if a C#/D had been on offer instead I would now be playing one of those, and now pondering the mysteries of the B/C system. The nearest I've come to a C#/D is e three row English chromatic - G row on the inside. Now that does seem pointless - from my point of view of wanting a small, light box with as few rows as possible, which is 2, until someone develops, builds and markets the one row with a whammy-bar.
   I'm fairly sure Jackie Daly is playing C#/D in this video:     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91QryThu00&feature=PlayList&p=400D4FC698BC7867&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

I'm learning this set of Polkas in G & in 'the people's Key - A major', which is becoming more fluent as the pennies make their descent one by one.
I don't know how much stuff is actually played in G in Ireland, but it seems that alot of the stuff we play in G over here - UK - is played in A over there. Certainly when searching for music a lot of stuff turns out to be in A rather than G. Obviously that says something about English sessions, and what is 'session-friendly' over here may put one at a dis-advantage over there, the legendary hospitality notwithstanding. I could be wrong. If that is the case, to my mind a C#/D probably makes more sense. I don't know what that says about B/C brain etc. So maybe it is a trend and people half a century hence will talk about 'when they used to play B/C alot in Ireland'. I understand C#/D is gaining popularity rapidly but I doubt B/C will ever die out - why should it?
   I think its fairly likely that having put the time and effort to get this far I will stick with B/C, but I think I've got my head round the C#/D thing without having ever picked one up - maybe that's a kind of perverted snobbery. Just to hedge one's bets however, I'm playing a bit more in F so should I ever make the switch, G will be a bit easier. Alas, finances dictate that I can only have one box at a time - so does the missus. At least if I go down this route if I ever move to Scotland I can add a C# row & bolt a small sideboard or wardrobe on to lefthand side and fill it with reeds. (Only joking - still no 'tongue in cheek' thingy)

Good of you to let us know all this.  ;D

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »

PS You're just a couple of short steps away from craving a B/C/C#/D. A wardrobe box if ever there was one. And yes Jackie D is playing his usual blue C#/D in that clip.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »

Was thinking about the business of session-friendly keys with respect to B/C and C#/D boxes while practising this morning and it struck me that it's a case of swings and roundabouts, depending to some extent on the session and the repertoire played there. If (see below) A major is easier on C#/D than on B/C, Gm (Dorian) is much easier on B/C than on C#/D - and I know plenty of fiddlers that love to play tunes in Gm, as I used to myself.

Perhaps I am just sloppy--I certainly admit to finding it difficult to play at the speed of some sessions--but I don't find a problem playing in A on the BC box.

I don't know. Do you find tunes in A major - and I mean tunes that use all the notes of the A major scale - any trickier than they would be played in G? Last night I was experimenting with Miss McLeod's in A (B major for me) and keeping the bellows reined in was certainly more of an issue than I am used to when playing C#/D, in any key. No doubt it becomes second nature quite quickly.

Keithypete.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »

I don't know how much stuff is actually played in G in Ireland, but it seems that alot of the stuff we play in G over here - UK - is played in A over there.   
G and D are definitely the main keys over here (Ireland), the amount of tunes in G I (and others at sessions) play greatly out number those in A. There's still a few in A and of course the old A mixolydian. I reckon that A's become popular in recent years due to it's brightness and lift...see people putting reels that were in D into E!

Thanks for that - I will persevere with G, D and A.

In reply to your question about tunes in A being trickier on the B/C Steve, the first polka of the set 'Many a wild night', I find less tricky in A. When I searched for the music they all came back as G tunes though.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 03:12:17 AM »

No doubt it is primarily just experience. I know when I started the G# seemed a bit alien but then so did the B flat. If you play only Irish music you can get lulled into a two sharp world.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

george garside

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »

No doubt it is primarily just experience. I know when I started the G# seemed a bit alien but then so did the B flat. If you play only Irish music you can get lulled into a two sharp world.

Indeed!   Whilst the BC is probably the most popular push/pull box amongst players of  Irish music  it is perfectly well suited to a whole range of music particularly with regard to the melody end  which is all most instruments have anyway. The 'easy keys' aare FCGDAE  &  it being chromatic all the others are there as well.  The wider thr range of music you have a go at the better the playing skills develop even if what you are playing are not considered to be 'box tunes'  ???who makes   decisions as to which are box tunes anyway! 

;)george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

george garside

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:55:52 PM »

Was thinking 

I don't know. Do you find tunes in A major - and I mean tunes that use all the notes of the A major scale - any trickier than they would be played in G? Last night I was experimenting with Miss McLeod's in A (B major for me) and keeping the bellows reined in was certainly more of an issue than I am used to when playing C#/D, in any key. No doubt it becomes second nature quite quickly.

playing miss McLoeds on a BC using the push E inside row in the A part of the tune and the push B outside row in the B part of the tune  should keep the bellows well in control without any real need for the air button.  Same applies (equivelents) in B on C#D

george

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:54:33 AM »

Tenor banjo players LIKE A major... it gives a brighter sound.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:58 AM »

PS You're just a couple of short steps away from craving a B/C/C#/D. A wardrobe box if ever there was one. And yes Jackie D is playing his usual blue C#/D in that clip.

Wow!  is there such a thing and where can I get one?      :o
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

cw67q

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:25:11 AM »

Tenor banjo players LIKE A major... it gives a brighter sound.

I'm a tenor banjo player and I *hate* A maj (well as much as one can hate a musical key).
Too bright, no depth. Bah humbug. Play Dinkies in D, willya?

Maybe it comes from living in Scotland, Scottish music has too many happy bright tunes in a maj :-)

- Chris

george garside

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:14:11 AM »

happy bright tunes make you feel happy & bright!
george ;D

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 07:42:13 AM »

A large amount of Scottish fiddle music is in A or E.  I suppose it depends where your sessions are.  (:)

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal