Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jay Ungar - anyone got contact details for him? And what to do if we can't?  (Read 3936 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

While it's not over yet, it looks quite possible that Ashokan Farewell is going to win this month's poll. I've tried contacting Jay on www.jayandmolly.com to see if we can get his OK to use it as our TOTM, but no response after 2 days. Does anyone have a working email address or happen to know him personally? PM me if so!

As a general rule of thumb, I think we should contact the author of any tune chosen where possible and ask permission to use the tune - we are after all posting up a large number of versions of it on youtube etc. I confess that I'm not sure what to do if the author isn't contactable; I expect it's something I'd judge on a case by case basis, based on how many versions of the tune are already out there. There are *loads* of versions of Ashokan Farewell for example on youtube already, for example, so to me, it would seem reasonable to assume it's ok unless we hear otherwise, and to pull all versions immediately if an objection is raised by the author later.

Opinions?

Regards,

Clive

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel

Maybe only tunes that don't have 'authors' that need contacting should be a new rule. Then that would save lotsa hassle.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter

Something up-tempo ..rather than a slow air / waltz would be my vote .... A good foot stomping tune!
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

According to Bob's post here he has been in contact with Jay:

I am not infringing copyright because Mr. Ungar sent me the notation by e-mail a few years ago and said that he was thrilled to know that it was being played in sessions in England and that I was welcome to share the tune with anyone who wanted to play it, provided his authorship was acknowledged.

GbH

• GbH Online

Getting in touch with the composer certainly seems like a good move, where possible.  No only is it polite, but I guess there's always the possibility that it might also result in some additional background information or feedback.

The current situation, where the composer contact proves difficult, is obviously a tricky one, as to some extent, the 'genie is already out of the bottle'.  That is, now that lots of melodeon players have decided that they want to record and publish a version of this tune, there's nothing really stopping them doing so, regardless of whether approval is given or not.  Likewise, even if the tune wasn't chosen as TOTM, people would still be free to post links to these recordings from other theads, just as they always did.  As no videos or audio recordings are actually uploaded here, I'm not sure why copyright issues would affect the Mel.net team directly.  So, I suspect that by the time the tune is chosen, it's too late to be having second thoughts.

I must say that I didn't really 'get' Ashokan Farewell when I first heard it - I couldn't really see what people saw in it.  However, having tried it and listened to it a few more times, I really like it now.  However, I'm beginning to realise that it's a hard piece to play well, though....it's a very different prospect from STP!   :o
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

According to Bob's post here he has been in contact with Jay:

I am not infringing copyright because Mr. Ungar sent me the notation by e-mail a few years ago and said that he was thrilled to know that it was being played in sessions in England and that I was welcome to share the tune with anyone who wanted to play it, provided his authorship was acknowledged.

I think that's probably a telling point. We have evidence that Jay's open to his tune being played in the past; I think it reasonable to assume that his position would probably not have changed since then. His authorship of the tune will of course be fully acknowledged.

Cheers,

Clive

It is therefore incumbent on each of the contributors on their YouTube or whatever to acknowledge Jay.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?

Since it was I who provided Jay Ungar's notation for Ashokan Farewell on an earlier thread, I felt it incumbent on me to contact Mr. Ungar to ask whether he had any objection to our using it as Tune of the Month for January, if it should win the poll. Therefore, I e-mailed him a few minutes ago to ask his permission. I shall inform the group of his reply as soon as I receive it.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Since it was I who provided Jay Ungar's notation for Ashokan Farewell on an earlier thread, I felt it incumbent on me to contact Mr. Ungar to ask whether he had any objection to our using it as Tune of the Month for January, if it should win the poll. Therefore, I e-mailed him a few minutes ago to ask his permission. I shall inform the group of his reply as soon as I receive it.

Hi Bob and all - I've just received an email from Jay very kindly giving his permission for us to use the tune. He asks that the following wording be included on any posting:

ASHOKAN FAREWELL by Jay Ungar
Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Once again, many thanks to Jay for his kind permission!

Cheers,

Clive

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?

Hi Clive,

I have also just picked up an e-mail from Jay in which he has been kind and courteous enough to allow us to use Ashokan Farewell, with the proviso that he would like us to use the form of words you have quoted in his e-mail.

He also states that he is hoping to tour this country with his wife, Molly, in the next year or two and would like to be put in contact with booking agents. Living out in the wilds, I don't come into contact with such entities, so if anyone else can help, please send me a personal e-mail.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal