Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: New Year's Boxolutions  (Read 37734 times)

zubz

• Respected Sage
Re: New Year's Boxolutions
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »

this year i want to learn to only let air out between notes! i seem to rush air in and out where i should be making small adjustments in the silent bits!

Definitely! I'll drink to that one.  :|glug

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 02:21:33 AM »

Aim for the coming months is to become more familiar with the dusty end of the keyboard and to primarily use three fingers on the treble - I've been using my pinkie a lot but it seems to interrupt the flow (well that's my excuse  ::) ).

No, no, no! If the pinkie is disrupting things then you need to practice with it more! Without it so much of the harmonic possibilities on the box become so much more difficult!

/biased
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:33 AM »

I notice that this topic is active again a year later. My objective was to have FUN this year. I am much more comfortable playing my button accordions than I was last year at this time. I took my little one row Hohner to a family Christmas party, the second day of the year 2011 and squeezed out quite a few tunes. I also played my 120 bass musette piano accordion. 

islawight

• Saltarelle Pastourelle
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »

Ha ha - I didn't realise till a bit later that this thread actually started beg of last year!

I didn't make any resolutions last Jan which is probably why I don't get anywhere fast.

I have actually already made (and more or less kept) a couple of resolutions though after last year's Witney. One was to get out of the habit of coming home from workshops and festivals and straightaway stuffing my notes, tips and tunes from the workshops into some hidden-away folder to be quickly forgotten about. This time, I created a proper folder - and worked my way through most the tunes, trying out the tips, chord progressions etc and learning the tunes properly. I have now in the space of less than 2 months added Grandfather's Polka, 2 versions of Buttered Peas, LNB Polka and Three Jolly Black Sheepskins to my repertoire (need to tackle Fiery Clockface and Swaggering Boney).

Related to that is a general resolve to start adding tunes to my repertoire and learning them properly (as opposed to busking badly through them when they turn up at sessions) eg, tune of the month, tunes I collect from sessions on my phone etc. And tackling my left/right hand coordination - I can't even oompah in time with my right hand sometimes - my fingers still seem to lack the required control and dexterity.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Re: New Year�s Boxolutions
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »

I want to be intermediate level within 2 years and nearly expert in 5 years...bit vague I know. ;)
Its closer to 3 years but I think I've reached 'intermediate'. ;)

Still rubbish at waltzes though.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
Re: New Year�s Boxolutions
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »

1. Lead a gig with my Ceilidh Band some time over the next few months. This requires me to polish off the material, since I will be loudest and crucially, everyone else will have to follow me. This means I need to eliminate as many bodges as possible, especially with some of the trickier tunes in A and make sure that what I'm playing conforms to what everyone else should be playing.

This is happening in a week and a half :o

Don't worry, so am I and I've been playing a lot longer than you :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
Re: Re: New Year?s Boxolutions
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »

1. I will have lots of fun playing.
2. I will scrape together the pennies and get the Oakwood tuned (sorry Theo, I know this is from about 8 months ago).
3. I will practise changes more. Much much more. Two more *disastrous* ones last night, and a third that was only rescued by the fabulous Frankie on fiddle.
4. I will play a tune with Dave Swarbrick. Hang on; already done that, yesterday in the folk club band. Actually nearly perished from fright. But how cool is that?

Well, I certainly did 1, though for 2011 I want to have *even more fun playing*. I did 2 as well, and it truly sounds lovely, though I don't find I reach for it as my 'go to' box as much as I was expecting. I didn't really do 3, but I did get better at changes, and I stopped worrying about terrible changes quite so much. I'd better keep up with that one this year.

For 2011 -- again, vague aspirations rather than firm resolutions --

I'd like to do a bit more on ToTM. January is 'La Marianne' -- my daughter is Marianne, and her birthday is next week.
Practice my instrument at least as often as I nag my childern to practice theirs  :|bl
And by the end of the summer I want to be really confident with all of the Chingford music; that includes knowing where all the As & Bs come as well as knowing the tunes and speed.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: New Year�s Boxolutions
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

Don't worry, so am I and I've been playing a lot longer than you :P
Now I don't belive that. ;) Bet you're still better at them than me.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Ellie
to continue enjoying playing, and not to be put off/depressed by people who've been playing for the same amount of time and/or less and who are much better than me

Success! (I think). I have got much better at not assuming that I'm not good enough, and even managed to talk myself into going busking. Which turned out to be a bit of milestone, as I felt that my playing was vastly better when I had an audience, even if it was one that was just passing by. However, I seem to have lost direction rather in the last few months so definitely time for some more solid resolutions.

So this year?

1) Concentrate on making the bellows work and getting a more 'punchy' sound - the only bit of the box I currently tend to ignore  ::)
2) Go back to basics and get the notes clear and crisp. Although not with old tunes, as that put me off altogether.
3) Get Rose of Raby off the dots!
4) To get my learning diary going again - it's always and inspiration to look back and see what I was struggling with a year ago and how it has magically (hopefully!) vanished as a problem  (:)

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

As the one who started this thread so many moons ago I was delighted to see its comeback! My so-called boxolutions were to,

Get my triplets crisper.... making progress on this one,
Get ' In a continental mood' off pat........ just about there on a good day with the wind blowing in the right direction.
Have a go on a Gailliard....... nowhere near this one!!

And for this year, I hope to play in the company of more musicians and learn some tunes from them instead of from Youtube!

HNY,
Tim

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »

1. To be able to play at least half a dozen Cajun tunes on my Junior Martin at the right tempo and with appropriate Cajun ornamentation and 'feel'.
2. To bring more grace notes and right-hand chords into the playing of my non-Cajun repertoire.

Well, one out of two ain't bad, but it ain't great either! The grace notes and right-hand chords have progressed pretty well, but I have not made much progress with the Cajun box. It just feels uncomfortable to hold at the bass end with that raised block on which the spoon basses sit. I feel that I am fighting it all the time, whereas I feel comfortable playing by Castagnaris.

Resolutions for this year:
1.  To make more progress with my Cajun box.
2.  To develop the confidence to start playing in sessions some of the more complex (and beautiful) tunes I like playing at home.
3.  To find enough time and motivation to contribute more often to Tune of the Month.
4.  To hypnotise an unsuspecting owner into selling me their three-row Oakwood.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »

Came up with something.
Being able to play a set of tunes without:
a) getting lost
b) arm aching
c) messing the transition of one tune to the other up

Plus waltz's are still epic*fail* lefthand-wise. So gotta still work on that.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »

The other important resolution that I forgot about was to make my playing less messy. At the moment it is ever so slightly chaotic, not precise enough and full of little errors. I would love to tidy it up and will be working on that over the year.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »

Mine was not to buy any more melodeons this year. Mike Rowbotham's just confirmed a Preciosa with my name on it....oh well, there you go. That's definitely a necessity, not an option.
Next year, perhaps.
This year I'll go back to the other one of learning more new tunes...
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »

You all have already helped me with the first of my resolutions:

1)  post more videos (it had been nearly two years since last posting)

2)  work on singing with box

3)  work on technique without getting OCD about it!  Just got Pignol and Milleret vol. 2 and 3 ... those should help get me thinking and working.  I don't want to get uber-technique, just want more ease and facility in my playing.

4)  figure out Garageband so I can do the "accompanying yourself" thing

5)  make it to the Squeeze-in in Massachusetts

Resolutions I considered but decided not to adopt:

1)  more gigs (too much pressure, need the box to be a refuge, not a stress)

2)  any accordion acquisitions
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »

4)  figure out Garageband so I can do the "accompanying yourself" thing

if you need help with that just ask.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

if you need help with that just ask.
I will!  Thank you!  Probably be some weeks.  I'm in the middle of a project at work ... hate how work eats into melodeon time!
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »

Came up with something.
Being able to play a set of tunes without:
a) getting lost
b) arm aching
c) messing the transition of one tune to the other up

Plus waltz's are still epic*fail* lefthand-wise. So gotta still work on that.

Well I can tick off 2 more things.
- Waltz basses
- cross rowing (well in a limited way but more practice needed)

Still need to work on playing sets....

Well despite dillgent practice I still struggle with the D row, and I still can't get my left hand to do waltzes. So I've given myself more time.
I can now play in D without writing down button numbers as long as it doesn't go any higher than the 6th button....after that I struggle.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:24:24 AM by ladydetemps »

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »

I can now play in D without writing down button numbers as long as it doesn't go any higher than the 6th button....after that I struggle.
[/quote]

I find that going onto the dusty bit is a bit like Tom and Jerry running off a cliff - it works fine if you don't look down!  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2012, 01:19:12 AM »

Well, let me be the first to wish everyone a Happy New Year and to revive this thread. Below are my boxolutions for 2011 that I posted this time last year.

1. Lead a gig with my Ceilidh Band some time over the next few months. This requires me to polish off the material, since I will be loudest and crucially, everyone else will have to follow me. This means I need to eliminate as many bodges as possible, especially with some of the trickier tunes in A and make sure that what I'm playing conforms to what everyone else should be playing.

Done! And am doing regularly in fact. Led a fantastic one on the main stage of Trinity May Ball last year, superb gig, great fun. So I've ticked that one off.

2. Play a gig with said Ceilidh Band (but not lead) on BCC# before the end of the year. Doable, but will require some work.

Done! It wasn't very good, but I did it.

3. Do the fiddle thing above.

This is my attempt to get the same amount of drive, variation and harmony that a fiddle player can. I've sort of got better at this. My RH harmony is much better and is now one of the strongest parts of my playing and in fact every aspect of my playing has improved hugely. I still have a way to go with regards bellows control and drive though.

4. Play solo in a gig on box. Never done this before (although I've played in hundreds of solo piano concerts) and would like to try. No idea how I would go about getting an opportunity, and probably won't happen, but it would be cool if it would. Would require a great deal of thought to put together a coherent and continually interesting set. I don't sing, so it would be difficult to break it up and it might sound samey.

Done! Did this for the first time at New Roots 2011, have since played a Walthamstow, Towersey Open Mic, Norwich Folk Club, Ely Folk Club and will play at St Albans (next Friday) and Chesham (16th). Nothing yet booked after that, but I've got a degree to do so haven't actively been looking for bookings.

5. Get at least one of my project boxes completely repaired and tuned. By me.

Heh. Heh. Heh. The one row is revalved, rewaxed with the pallets resurfaced and so on, sounding good. Ditto the Welty. But haven't yet really started on tuning. :|bl

6. Really get the hang of playing for Morris.

I think that I've made progress on this one. I am now comfortable with playing short shows, if someone (Ollie) hums the tune at me first and I think that I do an all right job of it. My first playing show was January last year. I've still got a long way to go, but some progress at least.

7. Learn to think of tunes in sessions BEFORE I start the first one of a set and to change without fuss.

Hmm. I am a bit better at this and have made more of an effort, but still not great!

8. DON'T BUY ANY MORE BOXES! Except... except.... ;)

So at that point I had already bought my Preccy, so that one doesn't count. So the only boxes that I bought this year were two broken down PAs, and they don't really count, surely? :P

9. Make my playing less messy.

Not quite done. My playing is more controlled and less messy, but it is still a little chaotic. Work in progress.

With that in mind, my Boxolutions for 2012 are:

1. Play solo at a Festival. No idea how or when this will happen, but aim high, eh?
2. Write more tunes. I haven't written many and haven't been terribly pleased with the ones that I have written. But it would be nice to do it and I think that it's one of those things that gets easier the more you do it.
3. Learn to improvise on box. This is something that I've been starting to do really properly over the last few months. What I'm really saying is "Get into a state of being such that I only need to think a melodic line and my fingers will play it for me in real time". I have that facility on piano, I don't quite on box, but it's nearly there. I can sightread a melodic line in realtime and my fingers will play it for me and I can pick up stuff by ear and I can play (some, not all) tunes for the first time from CDs all the way through both hands without ever having thought about playing them before. But there is a difference between that and being able to think of music and it happen. I'm getting there, but it requires a facility on box that I'm only just getting.
4. Practice more. My practising has been a little lax over the last term due to work constraints. Hopefully next term should be a little freer and I can get some decent playing in.
5. Really REALLY get the hang of Morris. 'Nuff said.
6. Play more with others. I tend to do all of my playing in ceilidh band, in sessions or on my own, but I find playing in small groups more rewarding. I'd like to do more of that.
7. Do something with the box that I've never done before. Don't know what, but it would be nice!
8. Get the hang of tuning :P
9. Do the fiddle thing. I'd love to be able to play Hardanger tunes on box.
10. Although not box related: Graduate! Been doing this stupid degree too long by half.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:26:23 AM by ukebert »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal