Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Respecting other instruments  (Read 5705 times)

Pete of Ebor

• Now I remember why I took up Melodeon...
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Respecting other instruments
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 06:21:36 PM »

If we're talking about keys, then in most sessions, the melodeon is the most limited instrument there. A D/G melodeon player rarely needs to worry about playing in keys that others can't join in with.

There's got to be some give & take. Yes, there are some keys a D/G can't cope with like E & Bb and some that are doable but a bit limited  like A & C which have some missing notes and/or wrongly directional bases, (..and I didn't even mention D-bl00dy-minor!) but I have no qualms about re-keying a tune fo fit my box. Most fiddle players play Atholl Highlanders in A. I can play it in A but I much prefer to play it in D as I feel it fits better on the box. Incidentally, I also have a smart-arse version in Em just in case anyone complains.... only tried it once and cocked it up big-time... Why is it that you can play a tune all day long at home then as soon as you start it in a session it all goes sh*t-shaped...
Never put off 'till tomorrow, what you can do today - 'cos if you like it today, you can do it again tomorrow !

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
Re: Respecting other instruments
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 07:50:16 PM »

and I didn't even mention D-bl00dy-minor

A lovely key, and worth investing in a C/F box to do it justice instead of struggling on a D/G.

Why is it that you can play a tune all day long at home then as soon as you start it in a session it all goes sh*t-shaped...

I've learnt the hard way that you never know whether you can play a tune properly until you've successfully played it in public.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal