Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell  (Read 66483 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:28:19 AM »

The people have spoken! The tune of the month for January is Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar (www.jayandmolly.com).

Here's a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx6dxrhqPZY

and here's the ABC, as normally played in the key of D:

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Ashokan Farewell
C:Jay Ungar
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:D
(A<c) | d3 c B/A | F4 E<F | G3 F E<D | B,2 D3 B, |
A,2 D2 F2 | A2 d2 f2 | f3 g f2 | e4 A<c |
d3 c B<A | F4 E<F | G3 F E<D | B,2 D3 B, |
A,2 D2 F2 | A2 d2 f2 | A2 c2 e2 | d4 F<G |
A3 F D2 | d4 A2 | B3 c d2 | A2 F2 F<E |
F3 E D2 | B,4 D2 | A,6 | A4 FD |
D2 F2 A2 | =c4 c2 | B3 c d2 | A2 F3 D |
A,2 D2 F2 | A2 d2 F2 E3 A, C2 | D6 ||

Enjoy, and can I encourage people who might be a little put off by the choice of tune to give it a try anyway - TOTM is all about learning, and not necessarily about staying in your comfort zone. Yes, it'll stretch you a bit, but you'll learn stuff too, so give it a go, and share your videos/sound clips about what you've got to - this encourages others too.

If you're struggling with the basses, leave them out - concentrate on putting emotion into the melody. If you haven't got a low B (or whatever the equivalent is on your box), try playing that phrase (or the entire tune come to that) an octave up, and if you're playing a one-row, try to see what else you can fit in instead of that C natural?

One important point - this is *not* a traditional tune. It is written by Jay Ungar, and as such please ensure that any videos or sound clips posted acknowledge Jay's authorship of the tune. Please include the following text on your postings on youtube or wherever:

ASHOKAN FAREWELL by Jay Ungar
Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Many thanks to Jay for his kind permission in letting us play his tune.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing your contributions!

Cheers (oh, and happy new year!)

Clive

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 02:02:23 AM »

Lovely tune. Not my choice, but a tune with lots of emotion - should suit the Morgane basses (don't want to get maudlin, despite the time of year). Just been listening to Eddi Reader on the Scottish Beeb giving a great rendition of some Burn's songs for New Year (in the same vein as AF).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:55:46 PM by NeilA »

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »

Ok, so I guess someone has to 'dip their toe in the water' first?  OK, not the water exactly, but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqEl0V1_5-A

Happy new year!

(Warning : not recommended for sufferers of podiaphobia!)

"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

press on regardless

!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiASHOK1;ttASHOK1.html

Edit after reading other posts: Having found this by simple Google is it OK to post it without getting permission from the composer?

thanks Paul 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:46:27 AM by Paul Stevens »

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »

Here is my rendition of Ashokan Farewell. Compared with GbH's, it is rather tame. My usual video nerves (or is it musical incompetence?  :() can be detected at one or two points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqTcGPbMLbA

I really need to develop a more imaginative bass line. I may post a second video later in the month if I manage to improve the bass line.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

uofdoboe

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »

Lovely tune. Not my choice, but a tune with lots of emotion - should suit the Morgane basses (don't want to get maudlin, despite the time of year). Just been listening to Eddie Reader on the Scottish Beeb giving a great rendition of some Burn's songs for New Year (in the same vein as AF).

So I'm very much a novice, but do [pretend to] play a Morgane D/G.  I don't understand your allusion to the basses - why is this box well-suited?

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »

Here is my rendition of Ashokan Farewell. Compared with GbH's, it is rather tame. My usual video nerves (or is it musical incompetence?  :() can be detected at one or two points.

I really need to develop a more imaginative bass line. I may post a second video later in the month if I manage to improve the bass line.

It sounds much better than I would have thought with the straightforward bass, nice one (:)

ps I am with you on the nerves with the camera, it has that effect on me too.
I don't get 'jigs'

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »

Lovely tune. Not my choice, but a tune with lots of emotion - should suit the Morgane basses (don't want to get maudlin, despite the time of year). Just been listening to Eddie Reader on the Scottish Beeb giving a great rendition of some Burn's songs for New Year (in the same vein as AF).

So I'm very much a novice, but do [pretend to] play a Morgane D/G.  I don't understand your allusion to the basses - why is this box well-suited?

Hi,

Just my opinion, still relatively new myself. The basses seem quite prominent on the Morgane but it may just be the way I perceive them. I think they will work well with a slower atmospheric piece. All subjective (nothing to do with any particular tuning of the basses).

I like my box and think it has a character all of its own, not particularly refined but seems to suit my level of playing (anything too fast and it gets a bit confusing). The comment probably reflects as much about me playing the box as about the box itself. Its going shortly for repair and to be tuned. It'll be interesting to see how it is when it returns. I'm sure it'll still suit AF.

Power to your Morgane.
Neil

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »

Ok, so I guess someone has to 'dip their toe in the water' first?  OK, not the water exactly, but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqEl0V1_5-A

Happy new year!

(Warning : not recommended for sufferers of podiaphobia!)

Brilliant as usual ;D
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 11:13:30 PM »

Nice one, Bob! -  (and with frozen fingers, too!

I have given this a bit of a go on the Oakwood, as it has low notes rather than accidentals, and looking at your video, one of your fingerings may give a cross-rowing solution - depending on how I feel the basses  'sit' - to one of the 'running out of air' problems I had on one of the long runs, given the small size of the box cf. it's air-hungry basses. The tune itself seems to be basically composed of a series of runs up and down scales (to my non-technical ear).

Diane

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »

I'm jumping in early on this tune as I have been playing it for a while anyway. I did have a bit of brushing up to do though, and I still cannot smoothly work the switch for the low reeds on my box in mid song. Oh well... :|bl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyBYwUaY3DU

Also, please pardon my 'melodeon face'   :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:19:24 PM by j.w.forrest »

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »

I'm jumping in early on this tune as I have been playing it for a while anyway. I did have a bit of brushing up to do though, and I still cannot smoothly work the switch for the low reeds on my box in mid song. Oh well... :|bl.

Also, please pardon my 'melodeon face'   :P

This is very nice, and feels a bit more like a lament. Though it is truly hard to play laments on a quint box.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »

I've just got an email from Jay giving his permission for us to use his tune. He asks that we include the following wording on our postings on youtube or wherever:

ASHOKAN FAREWELL by Jay Ungar
Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Many thanks to Jay for his kind permission, and I'm looking forward to seeing the many versions to come (I'm still working on mine!)

Cheers,

Clive

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »

Quote from: j.w.forrest

I really like your version - you've inspired me to actually try learning it today (gotta make use of snow days somehow!) - I've only had the music lying around for about 3 weeks  ::) Thankyou  (:)

jb

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »

Thanks for that. Great sound from that box, and a lovely tempo/rhythm/feel.
And I believe only our second TOTM offering to have been recorded on the naughty step.
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 02:39:08 AM »

......................And I believe only our second TOTM offering to have been recorded on the naughty step.

My apologies in advance, but what is the meaning here?....... :-\

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »

My apologies in advance, but what is the meaning here?....... :-\
It's an English/UK thing, although it might be in use in the US too - I'm not sure. It is a reference to a parent or teacher method of imposing a mild punishment or sanction on a child who is guilty of some misdemeanour. The child is sent to sit on their own at the bottom of the stairs on the 'naughty step' and instructed to stay put for a period of time, which might also mean that they miss out on a favourite activity such as watching a television programme.

In my day we gorra clip round t' lugoil.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »

I didn't vote for this one either, I didn't even vote for my own suggestion as i thought a bit a tactical voting might save me from AF ;D
However that said I've picked up the basic tune surprisingly quickly. I'm usually a late poster as I need the whole mouth to learn the tune but this month I'm going for a "Byrson" before and after video.
So here's the before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZu-gvwxPbs
hope it won't put anyone off the tune (it's not Mr Unger fault that it sounds like this when I play it) I hope to improve by the end of the month and produce something a little better.
I went for the Steierische this time as the fingering seams slightly more fluid (not so bouncy) but the bass is a bit over powering :(
So I'll try to tone it down a bit.

constructive criticism welcome

Louise

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »

I'm jumping in early on this tune as I have been playing it for a while anyway. I did have a bit of brushing up to do though, and I still cannot smoothly work the switch for the low reeds on my box in mid song. Oh well... blush.

Thanks for this. It has the right feel to it.
An inspiration, I'll now go and relearn this and work on my bass line  :'(

Louise

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »

This is a lovely tune, although I'd prefer playing it on the fiddle. Now my life is deeply changed though, at least for a few months. I fell on the Skavsta airport parking place, just returned from a week in Ireland, and broke the scaphoid bone of my right hand. I haven't lost hope of being able to play the squeezebox but until next week when I get a new plaster I'll stay with tin whistle and singing.

Anyway, J.W - your rendition is absolutely beautiful!!!! I loved it! Bob, yours was nice too - what's the tuning of your 3 row box?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal