Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell  (Read 66507 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:08 AM »

Told you I'm rubbish...here's me murdering the tune
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12225

Can do attitude please!  :D
See you're avoiding making a proper comment coz you think its rubbish. ;)

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »

LDT - The tune is recognisable and just needs some more practice. If you take the attitude that you are playing as well as you can at the time, then no-one has the right to make derogatory comments, most of all you! At least you're doing it and not being a couch potato. AF is not an easy tune to play well.

Regards
Nigel

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

That's not the case. Comment was respect to prefixing "tune murdered" and "told you I'm rubbish"  You are doing fine, and this is a very supportive forum. I believe such abject negativity doesn't help anyone.  Better surely to listen to advice given and use it. eg are you cross fingering against pull or push chords?  I think the tune goes all the smoother for that.

Yet another attempt at helping messed up. I'm complete rubbish at this.  :-\
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:33 AM »

J.W - your rendition is absolutely beautiful!!!! I loved it! Bob, yours was nice too - what's the tuning of your 3 row box?

Hi Susi. It is a two-voice, swing-tuned,  D/G box with a full row of accidentals. The layout of the accidentals is one I devised myself (with a bit of help from Rees) to incorporate reversals as well as accidentals. If you are interested in the layout, there is a diagram of it in the Keyboard Layouts section of this site. Go into Three Row Layouts and click on D/G/Accidentals - a 12 bass layout.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Skipy

• Regular debater
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »

.... Yet another attempt at helping messed up. I'm complete rubbish at this.  :-\

Eeeeeh, it is Sooooo Eeeeasy to put your foot in it on here, without even the faintest idea that you have!

LDT, it's not an easy tune to play smoothly, you sometimes feel like you need seven fingers on your right hand to get up and down the keyboard ;) I feel it's just as hard playing a tunes like this, getting the harmonics and dynamics sounding just right, than playing a faster tune, where, if you miss or hit a bum note, it doesn't really show!

Keep it up and if you start feeling frustrated with a tune that you simply can't seem to get right, leave it for a while and play one of your favourite 'Sunday Bests' to re boost you confidence!

Works for me  (:)

Skipy

Saltarelle Solstice 12 B/C/C#, Hohner Trichord III B/C/C#. 

I can't imagine life without my melodeons!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »

Sarah, I think this is the most difficult tune I have heard you play, so you have done well. Don't be surprised that you are finding it difficult - it isn't a tune that comes easily to any but the most gifted musicians. It is taking you out of your comfort zone and makes demands of you that other tunes don't. Try to rise to the challenge because your playing will improve by doing so. Where you have left out the low notes that I assume you have not got on your box, try to find alternatives that sound good to your ear. It doesn't matter if they alter the tune a bit (that's what improvisation is all about!), but inserting replacements for the missing notes will help you to develop the smoothness that is essential for conveying the emotion of the tune.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

Sarah, I think this is the most difficult tune I have heard you play, so you have done well. Don't be surprised that you are finding it difficult - it isn't a tune that comes easily to any but the most gifted musicians.
Don't know how such a difficult tune won...some people must love pain. ;)

It is taking you out of your comfort zone and makes demands of you that other tunes don't. Try to rise to the challenge because your playing will improve by doing so. Where you have left out the low notes that I assume you have not got on your box, try to find alternatives that sound good to your ear. It doesn't matter if they alter the tune a bit (that's what improvisation is all about!), but inserting replacements for the missing notes will help you to develop the smoothness that is essential for conveying the emotion of the tune.
I....I can't play something that's not actually written down, I have no musical jugement. It'll sound great to me and horrible to everyone else. :(

LDT, it's not an easy tune to play smoothly, you sometimes feel like you need seven fingers on your right hand to get up and down the keyboard ;)
Forget extra fingers I tie the ones I've got already in knots, I just need longer fingers.

waltzman

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »

I....I can't play something that's not actually written down, I have no musical jugement. It'll sound great to me and horrible to everyone else. :(

Yes you can.  This is where the design of the melodeon really helps you out.  There are very few 'wrong' notes.  Just push another button nearby until you like what you hear and trust your judgement.  So what if someone else doesn't like it?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »

Sarah - stop being so hard on yourself. This is a good start and if I know you, you will work and work at it and will improve no end.
The 'missing' note which you don't have on your Tommy (or Sara) RH buttons is a low B.
You do in fact have this note on the LH side. It is on the inside row of buttons (nearest the bellows) and 2nd one down from the top as you hold the instrument, on the push. So when this note comes up in the tune, instead of leaving a gap in the music, just play it on the LH side instead.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

DaveD

• Good talker
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »

The 'missing' note which you don't have on your Tommy (or Sara) RH buttons is a low B.

thanks Steve for explaining how to get the low B, can the low C natural be obtained on the left hand

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »

thanks Steve for explaining how to get the low B, can the low C natural be obtained on the left hand

Depends on what box you are playing, look here for keyboard layouts

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »

Yes - on a standard D/G melodeon, you can play the low C natural on the LH side: innermost row, button nearest the floor when holding the instrument, push or pull (plays C both ways).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2010, 11:03:26 PM »

This is not rubbish, Sarah - I can barely hear a fluffed or wrong note in there! Certainly, extremely recognisable as AF, with almost the correct timing...you just need to lengthen the notes on the runs up and down, a bit, stressing/ lengthening the first note of each group of 3 a bit more than the other 2 notes. Playing more with other people, as has been said before, will help you to get fully into the total feel of tunes, re. timing and phrasing.

Diane 

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:31 AM »

But, but, but.

On a D/G there's a C on the G row 4th or 5th (depends if you count the unusable accidentals at the top or not) from the top. on a pull.
In full usage on my effort :|glug
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:44:17 AM by Fidjit »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2010, 10:43:49 AM »

You do in fact have this note on the LH side. It is on the inside row of buttons (nearest the bellows) and 2nd one down from the top as you hold the instrument, on the push. So when this note comes up in the tune, instead of leaving a gap in the music, just play it on the LH side instead.
isn't that gonna sound a bit odd and out of place?

This is not rubbish, Sarah - I can barely hear a fluffed or wrong note in there! Certainly, extremely recognisable as AF, with almost the correct timing...you just need to lengthen the notes on the runs up and down, a bit, stressing/ lengthening the first note of each group of 3 a bit more than the other 2 notes. Playing more with other people, as has been said before, will help you to get fully into the total feel of tunes, re. timing and phrasing.

Diane 
I cringe every time. I can hear every wrong note, every hesitation when I've got lost and every time I hit a 7 instead of and 8 or a 3 instead of a 6 because I've zoomed out the page so much so I can see in all in one go on the screen without having to stop and scroll down.
I've also got no left hand so it sounds bare and boring.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »

You might think so, but it will sound OK to a listener. And much better than a hole in the music.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 01:48:30 PM »

(depends if you count the unusable accidentals at the top or not)

Well said, Chas.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »

Hi Susi. It is a two-voice, swing-tuned,  D/G box with a full row of accidentals. The layout of the accidentals is one I devised myself (with a bit of help from Rees) to incorporate reversals as well as accidentals. If you are interested in the layout, there is a diagram of it in the Keyboard Layouts section of this site. Go into Three Row Layouts and click on D/G/Accidentals - a 12 bass layout.

Cool! I'm quite happy with only a concertina if I have to deal with accidentals, though:) But it's always fun to hear about other tunings...

Graham, don't tell me you injured your wrist too??!! Your injury sounds worse than mine. I didn't need any surgery, and it turned out it wasn't a scaphoid fracture but just a lesion on the radius bone, so now I'll have the cast three weeks instead of eight, and I can play as much melodeon as I can and want to! It's party time!!! :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: 8) :|glug

I don't think I'll manage to learn Ashokan farewell though......not on the melodeon. I could play it fairly on the fiddle before the wrist injury.
Sarah, I'm quite relieved to see that I'm not the only one being hard on myself, but the difference is that you are brave enough to record and show it off even if you don't think you're good, which I rarely do. Well done and keep playing.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »

You might think so, but it will sound OK to a listener. And much better than a hole in the music.

I tried your suggestion but it sounds really out of place  :'(
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12294
I just don't have the skills to make it sound nice.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »

I tried your suggestion but it sounds really out of place  :'(
I just don't have the skills to make it sound nice.

Sorry can't hear your video - I'm in London in a library  :-X But I'm with Steve on this. On 2 rows - I'd quite often steal a note from the left end. The trick is to just tap the button. Think of it as a stepping stone across that hole rather than a bridge - very brief.

Positive attitude please.
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal