Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell  (Read 66500 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »

I tried your suggestion but it sounds really out of place  :'(
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12294
That's really coming along nicely. The LH low B is exactly in the right place and the right duration. It doesn't sound 'really out of place', but what you are hearing is the richer sound of the low B bass, because it has an extra low reed in the mix, and this is contrasting with the lighter sound of the two-voice  RH notes. There are two ways to make the contrast less noticeable; use either or both together:
1. Use your RH stop to bring in the third (low) voice. Then the RH sound will be the same 'quality' as your LH notes and the contrast of those low Bs will be reduced. You will find this uses more air, so you will have to be more rigorous in your bellows/air management.
2. Once you are more comfortable with the melody, start introducing some LH chords. Again this will have the effect of reducing that contrast mentioned above.

I just don't have the skills to make it sound nice.
Yes you do, and you are. Just get on with it.

Whenever you feel you can't do something, or it sounds bad, or whatever - instead of saying things like 'I can't do this' or 'I'm rubbish' or 'I'm murdering the tune', which are negative ways of looking at things, turn it round for yourself (and us) by asking questions of yourself (and us): 'How do I do this?'; 'how can I improve this?'; 'how can I make this tune sound better?' Get the idea?
Then - in case you need any further convincing, go back and listen to those recordings you made 10 months or so ago and I defy you to tell me (and us) that you haven't improved in the meantime.

No more negative attitudes on here, OK?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »

I think that sounds pretty good, Sarah!!!

Keithypete.

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »

I don't think you have much to worry about LDT. Skills seem to be developing nicely. ;)
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »

Whenever you feel you can't do something, or it sounds bad, or whatever - instead of saying things like 'I can't do this' or 'I'm rubbish' or 'I'm murdering the tune', which are negative ways of looking at things, turn it round for yourself (and us) by asking questions of yourself (and us): 'How do I do this?'; 'how can I improve this?'; 'how can I make this tune sound better?' Get the idea?
<snip>
Ok then positive question....
How can I get the right note and not run out of air? As I seem to have to make the choice of one or the other.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »

<snip>
Ok then positive question....
How can I get the right note and not run out of air? As I seem to have to make the choice of one or the other.
First you need to identify why you are running out of air, and whether it is occurring at more or less the same place each time.
If you are running out because the bellows are getting totally closed on the push, then you need to find a place a bit earlier where you can use the air button on the pull to give yourself a little 'breath' of extra bellows space; or else start off with more extended bellows to begin with. Or, if you find you are running out of air because the bellows are getting too extended, you need to take the opposite approach - look for opportunities to use the air button to give yourself an extra push breathing space.

The other thing you can do is to try to identify notes which have an alternative bellows direction. E.g. the notes G and B can be played on the push on the G-row, but also on the pull on the D-row. Similarly F# and A are pull notes on the G-row and push notes on the D-row. So if you are running out of air by sticking to one row, try looking for opportunities to cross to the other row to get the note in the opposite direction, which will give you more bellows room.

This is what is meant by air or bellows management. It is especially important on an instrument like the Tommy where you don't have large bellows capacity in the first place.

You know enough about the instrument by now to start experimenting like this for yourself.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »

It doesn't sound that out of place. However, it will sound less so when you are able to add some bass accompaniment. Then the low B bass notes will blend in with the other basses you are playing elsewhere in the tune.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »

I decided to give Sarah some basses ... so heres her tune with some basses using a Saltarelle Connemara III to get the D chording basses!

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12301

DTN
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

tiny

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »

whooo that is clever adding basses to anothers recording, sounds good as well.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »

I decided to give Sarah some basses ... so heres her tune with some basses using a Saltarelle Connemara III to get the D chording basses!

DTN
ooh thank you. That's cleverer than a clever thing with a degree from clever university. :)
now I just need to cover over that gap of mine where I ran out of air.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »

DTN

Beautiful! I love this forum  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »

DTN
I made my little additions.
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12335
:)

That's really coming along nicely. The LH low B is exactly in the right place and the right duration. It doesn't sound 'really out of place', but what you are hearing is the richer sound of the low B bass, because it has an extra low reed in the mix, and this is contrasting with the lighter sound of the two-voice  RH notes. There are two ways to make the contrast less noticeable; use either or both together:
1. Use your RH stop to bring in the third (low) voice. Then the RH sound will be the same 'quality' as your LH notes and the contrast of those low Bs will be reduced. You will find this uses more air, so you will have to be more rigorous in your bellows/air management.
I just tried that
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12334
wot do you think?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:45:23 AM by ladydetemps »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »

Probably the only rendition of AF on a 1 row 4 stop. The accidental note taxed me a bit but finally found away around it, not sure you will be able to detect the slight subterfuge undertaken on my part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NutO2HJyg

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »

The accidental note taxed me a bit but finally found away around it, not sure you will be able to detect the slight subterfuge undertaken on my part.

Excellent! ... that was so funny, i laughed at your brilliant subterfuge so much that the wife told me to shut up! ... I love it! ....thanks!
Derek

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »

Was there a subliminal message in there somewhere? I sure I saw red and my whole concept of the tune changed dramatically.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2010, 10:43:05 PM »

Probably the only rendition of AF on a 1 row 4 stop. The accidental note taxed me a bit but finally found away around it, not sure you will be able to detect the slight subterfuge undertaken on my part.

ROFL ;D Still recall watching Norbert Pignol on stage watching swapping accordeons ... to then launch into the Blues stretch in Alambic.  Nothing at all wrong with a few little cheats. Isn't that what melodeonism is about?

Bravo Lester. Encore  Will Gavin yet give us the whole thing on a one row?
  _       _    _      _ 

uofdoboe

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »

Here's my take on the tune for the month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABzNJXjCec

Criticism & advice warmly received!

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »

Here's my take on the tune for the month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABzNJXjCec

Criticism & advice warmly received!

I honestly can't criticise it or give advise as its just played beautifully!.... makes me miss having the low notes on my DG Morgane though!
So next TOTM must have loads of accidentals!! 8)
Well played, and nice and moody too!
 Derek

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »

Laughed and laughed. It was absolutely undetectable except with professional tools.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »

OK, I have put up my first (and probably only) attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNs0UEeImVk . I am not sure that this tune repays the amount of effort I've put into it this month, though I am sure that I have learnt things from it. Mostly that my playing overloads the MacBook's mic, so I need to record the audio separately next time.

I am now in awe of those of you who've made this tune sound smooth and sweet on D/G boxes.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »

OK, I have put up my first (and probably only) attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNs0UEeImVk . I am not sure that this tune repays the amount of effort I've put into it this month, though I am sure that I have learnt things from it. Mostly that my playing overloads the MacBook's mic, so I need to record the audio separately next time.

I am now in awe of those of you who've made this tune sound smooth and sweet on D/G boxes.

Wow! ... that was really good! ... I can hear the hard work you've put in! .... although bet you wish you'd not played that cross row note after the lovely chording @ 1:56 in!
Thanks
Derek
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal