Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell  (Read 66488 times)

Hectorawol

Re: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2010, 05:41:15 AM »

I love this tune. I am very pleased that it is January's tune of the month!
Here is my version:

Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saud2SW6J8I

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2010, 05:57:09 AM »

uofdoboe, Allison and Hector - three different versions of the tune, all interesting and very enjoyable. Thank you!
As for Lester's, what can I say! Absolutely my favourite so far  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »

Wow! ... that was really good! ... I can hear the hard work you've put in! .... although bet you wish you'd not played that cross row note after the lovely chording @ 1:56 in!
Thanks
Derek

Ha, yes. All the other takes were worse, honestly, and I was getting fed up. If I'd recorded the audio separately I would have just sliced that note out in an audio editor, but because I did the whole thing in iMovie it would have been an almighty faff. 

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »

OK, I have put up my first (and probably only) attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNs0UEeImVk . I am not sure that this tune repays the amount of effort I've put into it this month, though I am sure that I have learnt things from it. Mostly that my playing overloads the MacBook's mic, so I need to record the audio separately next time.

I am now in awe of those of you who've made this tune sound smooth and sweet on D/G boxes.

Very nice Alison....you have done the heavy lifting already by finding all those notes and bellows directions, now all that remains is to smooth it out, which (in my own case) is easily accomplished by playing it 10,000 times or so. Plus you will have the reward of giving people enjoyment from hearing it. I think the effort was worth it!! Thanks... ;D

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »

Here's my take on the tune for the month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABzNJXjCec

Criticism & advice warmly received!

A pleasure to hear...very smooth and placid. Thanks.... uofdoboe

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »

another one
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12600
this time with another instrument added

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »

Hey guys.  All versions sound great!  Gettin the odd giggle in too!

Anyone seen my webcam?  ???
Black Shand Morino

Ruaraidh

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »

Well, this is the first tune I have learnt from scratch since I got the box a month ago (the others being tunes I already knew on the pipes). It's just as well I did not know it before as it took about a million attempts to record it, and I am definitely not at the stage where I could add basses. Hopefully as the months go by, it will take less effort to learn the TOTM, or we might have a family rebellion!  :-[ http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12612

Ruaraidh
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:54:27 PM by Ruaraidh »

nemethmik

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »

the others being tunes I already knew on the pipes
You mean: all the other three tunes of the month? I'd love to hear and learn them on pipes, too.
Could you send me a sound file?
Thank You,
Miki

Ruaraidh

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »

the others being tunes I already knew on the pipes
You mean: all the other three tunes of the month? I'd love to hear and learn them on pipes, too.
Could you send me a sound file?
Thank You,
Miki

No, I meant the other tunes that I have learned so far on the box have all been pipe tunes, but I have not started on the other TOTMs yet, as it only arrived on the 19th December.

Ruaraidh

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2010, 12:51:55 AM »

Well, this is the first tune I have learnt from scratch since I got the box a month ago (the others being tunes I already knew on the pipes).... http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12612
Nice playing, and not to worry about the LH yet; this is not a tune which readily lends itself to basses/chords.

But - that must be the wettest tuned box I've ever heard. I'm sure many people like it, but definitely not my cup of tea, sorry.  :-[
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2010, 07:11:06 AM »

Hi
Well you seem to be having so much fun over here I thought I'd gatecrash the party.

I think I've uploaded my first ever video to youtube. Decided to try this tune as an experiment. I've left out the basses and stuck in a few right hand chords to keep me from turning it into a lumpy English style waltz. Not sure if I've succeeded.
Sorry about picture quality - my wife's new ipod.

Martin
[edited to add my name, doh!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veW84cSu6AY
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:40:14 AM by Ellison »

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »

Martin that was great. I'm having problems with AF as all I can do is "um pah pah" which just doesn't seem to fit.
I've left out the basses and stuck in a few right hand chords
sounds great to me could you elaborate on the chords.

Louise

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2010, 09:08:54 AM »

But - that must be the wettest tuned box I've ever heard. I'm sure many people like it, but definitely not my cup of tea, sorry.  :-[
We like'm wet in Scotland.   Actually I have the same type of box, and mine has a switch to change between single reed and musette MMM.

By the way, Ruaraidh,  how many fingers do you find you need for the arpeggio bit (low A up to high F#), and are you playing that all on the pull?   I keep finding that if use alternative fingerings to cut down the push/pull, then I rapidly loose control of the bellows.
Tony S

Ruaraidh

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:03 AM »

We like'm wet in Scotland.   Actually I have the same type of box, and mine has a switch to change between single reed and musette MMM.

By the way, Ruaraidh,  how many fingers do you find you need for the arpeggio bit (low A up to high F#), and are you playing that all on the pull?   I keep finding that if use alternative fingerings to cut down the push/pull, then I rapidly loose control of the bellows.

It is wet  ;D  but nothing to be done about it in Botswana I'm afraid. It has the switch, but it seems a pity to have a three voice box and only use one!

I found myself using four fingers for that and managed to get the top note with my pinky. However, I would not be the person to ask really about how to finger tunes! All the notes on the C row were on the pull, with just the three on the B row pushed...

Ruaraidh

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »

Well, this is the first tune I have learnt from scratch since I got the box a month ago (the others being tunes I already knew on the pipes).... http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=12612
Nice playing, and not to worry about the LH yet; this is not a tune which readily lends itself to basses/chords.

Good job Ruaraidh!  And the box sounds fine.  Cracking tone.
Black Shand Morino

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »

Hi
Well you seem to be having so much fun over here I thought I'd gatecrash the party.

I think I've uploaded my first ever video to youtube. Decided to try this tune as an experiment. I've left out the basses and stuck in a few right hand chords to keep me from turning it into a lumpy English style waltz. Not sure if I've succeeded.

Martin

Blimey. First time I've seen just treble chording used so effectively! I'm going to need to practice that. A lot!

Cheers,

Clive

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »

Beautiful, Martin. You got so much feeling into your rendition. The right-hand chords gave the tune a different dimension - some of them sounded quite bluesy.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2010, 01:29:09 PM »

Hi

Martin

That's great Martin! ;D
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2010, 04:09:46 PM »

Martin that was great. I'm having problems with AF as all I can do is "um pah pah" which just doesn't seem to fit.
I've left out the basses and stuck in a few right hand chords
sounds great to me could you elaborate on the chords.

Louise

Hi Louise
Thanks for the comments.

Yes I wanted to avoid the um-pa-pa and play the tune with a free tempo but I see in the vid that my foot refuses to stop tapping. Old habits die hard.

Most of the chords are based on thirds, fairly easy to find on a melodeon, usually one button up or one down (that's not infallible, you'll know if they sound ok or not). Some of the harmonic phrases are achieved by holding one note whilst the melody is played above or below it, there's probably musical terms for this but I'm happy in my ignorance.

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal