Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell  (Read 66481 times)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »

Hi
Well you seem to be having so much fun over here I thought I'd gatecrash the party.

I think I've uploaded my first ever video to youtube. Decided to try this tune as an experiment. I've left out the basses and stuck in a few right hand chords to keep me from turning it into a lumpy English style waltz. Not sure if I've succeeded.
Sorry about picture quality - my wife's new ipod.

Martin
[edited to add my name, doh!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veW84cSu6AY

Wow, I really like that. I think you have brought out the whole beauty of the tune with great sensitivity and no 'corny' bits or 'lumpy custard' bits!
(sorry, I'm not very good with technical musical analysis).

Cheers

Sandy
 (:)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »

That was awesome!

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »

okay chaps.  Found the webcam.  Not convinced this is my best work but it will do the job for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXEo79TWx8
Black Shand Morino

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »

Wow, I really like that. I think you have brought out the whole beauty of the tune with great sensitivity and no 'corny' bits or 'lumpy custard' bits!

Cheers

Sandy

Can you give examples? I for one do not wish to be guilty of commiting  either of these perceived faults..... :P

nemethmik

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »

But - that must be the wettest tuned box I've ever heard.
We like'm wet in Scotland.
Ruaraidh is a piper and pipers never tune their drones and chanters wet (:)

Ruaraidh

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »

okay chaps.  Found the webcam.  Not convinced this is my best work but it will do the job for now.

Cool, and in only 27 short years, I'll be doing the same thing...

But - that must be the wettest tuned box I've ever heard.
We like'm wet in Scotland.
Ruaraidh is a piper and pipers never tune their drones and chanters wet (:)
In fact I always find it strange that wet tuning is referred to as musette tuning; I have a musette (mouth blown smallpipes) and I do my best to get them in tune and well balanced for harmonics, with no "beating" between drones and / or chanter...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:51:26 PM by Ruaraidh »

radicalaccordion

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »

I can't believe my luck in finding you folks.  You are ALL super inspiring.  I just got my button box for the winter solstice.  Tomorrow will be one month and I was DETERMINED to get something up.  So here is my version of AF... lumps and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohWFlEtVd-k

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »

Cheers

Sandy

Can you give examples? I for one do not wish to be guilty of commiting  either of these perceived faults..... :P

There are no perceived faults and I certainly wasn't suggesting that there's a wrong way to play it. Sorry if it came across like that. :|bl

Martin had said that he was trying to avoid turning it into a lumpy style English waltz. It was my silly way of saying that I thought he achieved that in a very clever style.

Lumpy style English waltz ?   I hear it as a rigid emphasis on the first beat of the 1,2,3 rhythm which ,for me, doesn't always allow a tune like this to rise and fall or pause in the right places. Martin, perhaps you might help me out here please  ::) or do I need to dig myself out of a hole ?  :|glug

Cheers

Sandy
p.s. where's the shovel  ???

forrest

« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2010, 04:19:31 AM »

Lumpy style English waltz ?   I hear it as a rigid emphasis on the first beat of the 1,2,3 rhythm which ,for me, doesn't always allow a tune like this to rise and fall or pause in the right places. Martin, perhaps you might help me out here please  ::) or do I need to dig myself out of a hole ?  :|glug

Cheers

Sandy
p.s. where's the shovel  ???

No shovel needed Sandy!  ;D I'm just teasing. But I love your choice of words....it just sent me into a self critique:...Am I playing in the  'lumpy custard' style!? Is this an English sort of thing, or is this how American tunes are viewed? Made me laugh.  It could be that us new-worlders tend to play more like hill-billies, with a drawling syncopation. Anyway, it's all fun, and please forgive me if I put you on the spot.... ;)

forrest

« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2010, 04:20:58 AM »

I can't believe my luck in finding you folks.  You are ALL super inspiring.  I just got my button box for the winter solstice.  Tomorrow will be one month and I was DETERMINED to get something up.  So here is my version of AF... lumps and all.

Pretty smooth job there...had it only for a month you say? Super!!

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2010, 09:39:06 AM »

No shovel needed Sandy!  ;D I'm just teasing. But I love your choice of words....it just sent me into a self critique:...Am I playing in the  'lumpy custard' style!? Is this an English sort of thing, or is this how American tunes are viewed? Made me laugh.  It could be that us new-worlders tend to play more like hill-billies, with a drawling syncopation. Anyway, it's all fun, and please forgive me if I put you on the spot.... ;)

No problem at all, :Ph  it did make me think that if I put some words down then I should be able to clarify them. (I often can't  :-[)

I'm struggling with this tune. It would be easier for me to come up with something completely different, which would be fun, but I would be avoiding the real feel of the tune. Is anyone else having the same problem.  ???

Cheers

Sandy
p.s. Lumpy Custard Style is definitely English  ;D

Cheers

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »

Lumpy Custard Style is definitely English  ;D

Oh! no it isn't, this is a Polish mazurka

X: 196
T:Lumpy Custard
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:G
D2 GF G2|D2 BA B2|cB AG FG|AG FE D2|
D2 GF G2|D2 BA B2|cB AG FA|1 A2 G2 z2:|2 A2 G2 Bc||
d2 de dc|B2 G2 AB|c2 cd cB|A4 Bc|d2 de dc|B2 G2 AB|
cB AG FA|1 A2 G2 Bc:|2 A2 G2 z2||

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »

This (http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2078.0.html) is English Custard in a Welsh/Italian stylee, and is certainly not lumpy!

Tony M

• Good talker
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »

Well, that was a learning experience on several levels at once!

My (probably diabolical  :|bl) take on this beautiful tune can be found here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYREiLefbG8

All I can claim in my defence is that I tried - this is my first melodeon, I got it in November, and I wanted to have a go at TOTM (for better or worse!).

Apart from cheating by shifting the tune into G and working out a way to play it, I also had to figure out how to do the video.  My webcam gave appalling results, so it was taken with my Canon still camera in movie mode, using the internal microphone.  I processed the file with Windows Movie Maker.  I didn't think it came out too badly (the video, rather than the tune!).

I'm not quite sure what I did with the bass - it's nothing like I originally thought, because that just didn't go with the "feel" of the tune, so I sort of made it up as I went along, then wrote it down afterwards.  Even then, I'm not sure I played precisely what I'd written.  (Did I make "Lumpy Custard"??)

The hardest bit seemed to be playing the tune once the camera was running.  This took a few goes - my coordination on the buttons went "all to pot".

Anyway, that's my first try, and constructive comment and advice would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Tony.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »

My (probably diabolical  :|bl) take on this beautiful tune can be found here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYREiLefbG8
Tony, that was really nice! I am impressed that you have only been playing since November. It was at a nice steady tempo, the basses were gentle and understated, the bellows action was beautifully restrained. You most certainly did not make lumpy custard. I say very well done indeed!  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »

The two new contributors, radicalaccordion and Tony M have both done a great job on newly acquired boxes with a tune that's really demanding despite the slow tempo. Well done both and a warm welcome to the forum.

Pete.  (:)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »

I particularly liked Tony's threaded bass line and it was interesting to hear how well it ran on the inside row.

Radicalaccordion is doing brilliantly. Not many people would start on a 3 row 12 bass.  Thogh quite a few have later wished they had.  ;)

_       _    _      _ 

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »

Graeme I love your playing. The way you build the sound with this tune, and then slow it down again to a quiet tempo is really lovely. Thankyou (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

juker

• Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »

Oh Beautiful! Well done you (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

juker

• Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »

My (probably diabolical  ) take on this beautiful tune can be found here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYREiLefbG8

All I can claim in my defence is that I tried - this is my first melodeon, I got it in November, and I wanted to have a go at TOTM (for better or worse!).

Welcome Tony! You are doing brilliantly. A lovely sounding version of Ashokan Farewell.
I don't get 'jigs'
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal