Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell  (Read 51725 times)

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2010 - Ashokan Farewell
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

My effort. Apologies to Mr. Ungar for my re-write of his beautiful phrase seven measures from the end. I'm playing in C on a G/C Morgane without a B-flat in sight! Thanks to everyone who suggested this piece as TOTM. I learned a lot from listening to all of you and trying to find something that would work for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwzARKDIWw
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2010, 09:47:54 PM »

Nice expression, Jeff.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »

My effort. Apologies to Mr. Ungar for my re-write of his beautiful phrase seven measures from the end. I'm playing in C on a G/C Morgane without a B-flat in sight! Thanks to everyone who suggested this piece as TOTM. I learned a lot from listening to all of you and trying to find something that would work for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwzARKDIWw

Lovely interpretation and very well played. I'm sure Mr Ungar will be well pleased by your sensitive playing of a difficult tune.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo D/G, Albrecht Custom Liliput D/G
Hohner B/E, B/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G G scale, C/F, Bb/Eb

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2010, 11:32:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAFH0GSw_c

I really like this and thought it WAS clean and crisp. When I tried to play in this style, I ended up giving the tune a heavy 'lilt'  :(.
It struck me also that you made it look easy with little bellows movement. (I'm determined to record a TOTM on the naughty step but my stairs aren't wide enough  (:))
Sandy (:)

Thanks for the kind comments, Juker and Sandy. This is a nice responsive box to play - moves really easily, as the bellows have had plenty of years of playing-in in the past. When I tried it on the small Oakwood, it was just too air-hungry and had to do great 'gulps' on those runs - using the larger box was a revelation.  (Not too easy getting back on this bit of the 'naughty steps' Sandy...the house is a 'work in progress' and I removed the old mid- and top-landing carpet for the heating to be installed - as a result, I had to negotiate getting back from the camera to the steps without getting snagged on the remaining gripper rods!). Walking downstairs is always precarious....

Diane

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2010, 11:47:09 PM »

And as we move into February (in 15 minutes!) a new TOTM starts up - Orange in Bloom. But please, if you've got a new version of Ashokan Farewell you want to post and discuss please do - this topic is only 'unstickied' (it doesn't appear at the top); new postings are always welcome.

Cheers,

Clive

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:38 AM »

Dang it, I'm a day late! Many thousands of wobbly video attempts later here I am with Ashokan Farewell  :|||:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CIAiBO8L0
I don't get 'jigs'

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »

Dang it, I'm a day late! Many thousands of wobbly video attempts later here I am with Ashokan Farewell  :|||:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5CIAiBO8L0

Nice rendition (despite the slight hesitations) on a beautiful-looking and sweet-sounding box. It would have been nice to see the keyboard and your fingering, but just write me off as a nerdy perfectionist!  ::)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, Acadian one-row in D; Junior Martin one-row in C.

juker

• Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »

Thanks Bob and jb  (:) It actually sounds better than I thought it would when I was recording, and it is indeed a lovely box   (:) (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

juker

• Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »

It wouldn't be as fluid on the Parigi. 2 rows don't have a reversed G button and i use this a lot.. The plan was to post O&B on the 2 row G/C once the ballot is returned .  I only use basic buttons for that so it's a fair demo piece.

And won't require my usual 30 days in the closet - it's a longtime favourite.

Jeez, this forum can be amazing. I've now downloaded a sound editor and mp3 codec save as per instrictions and it all worked first time!  Bit disappointed at only 27% smaller file size, but there you go..

http://www.chrisryall.net/ashokanfarewell.mp3  :Ph

Chris, I have listened to this a few times now - it is a really interesting interpretation. I love the way your playing suggests the rhythm (for want of a better way of putting it!), like a secret message that sort of becomes more obvious as the tune goes on. Very interesting.
I don't get 'jigs'

stevejay

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2010, 07:35:26 PM »

I'm jumping in early on this tune as I have been playing it for a while anyway. I did have a bit of brushing up to do though, and I still cannot smoothly work the switch for the low reeds on my box in mid song. Oh well...

I've only just found this one ... by far my favourite performance, and its made me look at the tune all over again.  By the way, that's got to be the most garish box I've seen for a while.
Tony S

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »

I've only just found this one ... by far my favourite performance, and its made me look at the tune all over again.  By the way, that's got to be the most garish box I've seen for a while.

Thanks Gandy....the box is a trifle  *baroque*, but it is Italian, after all;  and it's actually quite modest, compared to some out there....... ;D

nemethmik

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »

Upon request from our great John Bone here is the tune on the Hungarian Bagpipes in Bb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfcDs9kr2aU
Miki

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »

Well here we are then. My first TOTM, first youtube post as well. I was starting to think that the only way I could move on to another tune was to just put it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AG_EcSbALM

Cheers
Guy

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »

Well here we are then. My first TOTM, first youtube post as well. I was starting to think that the only way I could move on to another tune was to just put it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AG_EcSbALM

Cheers
Guy

Wahey!! .. another Loffet! ..thanks Guy!... Chirpy little number! , keep working on those Basses too! ... you found some really good ones!  ;D ...and and some not so good ones  >:E Welcome to the madness that TOTM brings!
Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2010, 09:55:02 AM »

Thank you for that Derek.  Looking at Youtube at this time in the morning - obviously not enough work to do! Once I had put it together I took it along to my chum Brian Peters for some constructive criticism which he gave me (in abundance) I have so far ignored all of it. Sorry Brian. I just had to get the tune off my chest as it were and I find it so hard to deconstruct a tune and put it back together once I have learnt it.  My plan is put it aside for a month or two and start on it from scratch - so maybe in due course there will be an even later posting. As for the madness, Derek, I had it already.
Cheers
G
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:48:05 PM by GuyWyatt »

arty

« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »

Apologies for being 5 years late to the party!

Back in 2012, when I was toying with the idea of buying my first melodeon, I heard Forrest, of this parish, playing Ashokan Farewell on You Tube. I fell in love with it and, at the risk of embarrassing him, it was a lot to do with Forrest, that I decided to go for it and bought my first instrument. I am glad I did!

So here's my version, although still not as nice and very different to Forrest's, I still love this tune and tried to play it as a lament, holding in my mind the sadness of the story behind the composition. It's a hard piece to do justice to and I found it difficult to play with feeling = hope you like it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ35iln8xMs
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.